Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone remember their first coin they ever paid for?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    nope, i could barely remember what I had for breakfast this AM.

Although, I remember the first coins that were given to me by my Uncle.
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it was this one:

imageimage
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do know the first half dime I bought, and still own: 1829 LM-5 (common) from Harlan J. Berk. It is still my set piece (AU-58) and likely always will be.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    I think the first was an 1839 Booby Head with the name, "KNOWLES" engraved across the obv. This was early 70's. My first large purchase was an 1876 S Trade Dollar probably back in 74. Sold to me for $150 as BU. As I recall, it probably had a field blem smoothed. Showed it to another dealer a couple years later and he suggested it was probably a fake. In any event, the 1876 S was stolen some years ago.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    mine was a 1914-d altered date lincoln off of a bid board in some shop in the burbs of st.louis (circa 1970 as an 8 y/o)

i think i had won it for $1.50 cents which too was alot of soda pop bottles in tha day

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first purchase was a complete set of Lincolns in 1955 for $17.50 total. It even had the '22 no D. All F+.
    My first single coin was a month or two later when a man walked into our coin club with a high grade AU 1918-S Half.
    I gave him $3.00 for it & still have it in my walker collection which I assembled in six weeks from circulation except the '18-S.
    That collection and my buffalo nickels are the only 2 left from that era.
    I just have a sense of nostalgia about them and never upgraded either one as I did with all my others.
    BTW, I did add the 1914/3, 1916 DDO and the 1918/7-D nickels in recent years.
    Them wuz the gud ole dayz!!
    JET >>

Wow, prices must really have been sky rocketing in the late 1950's. My 1959 Redbook lists the 1909SVDB and 1914D at $40 each in Fine. A complete collection of Lincolns then would cost about $200. It is also amazing to think that one could assemble and entire set of Walkers in 6 weeks! Those MUST have been the good old days!
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    GFourDriverGFourDriver Posts: 2,366
    Yup, 1993 proof ASE.
  • Options
    GFourDriverGFourDriver Posts: 2,366
    <<< I was a cute kid back then. >>>

Don't believe everything your mother tells you.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first coins collected for me were pulled from penny rolls taken from the bank.

The first purchased coin was in Boise, Idaho in 1978, when I was 11. I paid 90 cents for a 1913 Barber Dime from a dealers cull box. I bought it because it was the most coin I could afford for the age.

Tyler
  • Options
    1962: Alexander's Coin Shop, Oklahoma City, OK. 1938-D Buffalo Uncirculated for $3.25. Still have it.

Garrow
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a clue...
  • Options
    Sure do. 1999 I paid 101.45 off of ebay for this beauty

RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 1909-p Lincoln cent (MS60BN) at a show because I could not find one in circulation, at age 10. I still have it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file