Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can anyone remember their first coin they ever paid for?

I wished I could show you a picture on mine, but I have in framed in a 4x4 bullet proof plastic block. The coin was a 1884cc morgan pl 65 from the GSA sale, I told my mother to buy one for my with my birthday money, Back along time ago. can anyone remember the date when they opened up mail order bidding?

Comments

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    "..... 4x4 bullet proof plastic block"

and i thought intercept shields were overkill

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Yup, a 1909-S VDB. Extra Fine and I paid $200 for it in 1965. I was in the service and it was over a month's pay. I was 21 yrs. old and my friends thought I was nuts. Maybe I was.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    1943 Steel Cent

25 cents. Still have it in the original 2x2.
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    a circulated merc, franklin and walker in 2000. I was just getting back into the hobby after quitting collecting when I was about 12. At age 30 it suddenly occured to me that I had the money to buy coins that I could only lust after as a 12 year old. I only dreamed of owning seated dollars and Saints when I was 11-12. Now I have a few of each. image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I can't remember. I have 5 1909 pennys-3 Lincolns and two Indians that I paid $1.50 each for, which I know because it is written on the little paper holder. This happened sometime between 1998-2005. I don't know exactly when. I've got a lot of old dimes-1800s old-that I can't remember where or when I got them. I know I was given a 1853 dime that is almost worn smooth around 1996 by the owner of Kingston Coin, in Kingston New York. EDIT: By the way, the three 1909 Lincolns, none are VDB or mintmarked, so they are all late run Philadelphia's.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My avatar. pcgs vf25 ogh.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Yes - it was an 1858-O Liberty Seated Half in AU. Paid payments on it for over a month when I was a kid. Sold it when I was about 20 something for beer money. Wish I had it back. Still have have the belly though
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    1857 Flying Eagle in Choice AU for my IHC Album

Purchased in 1978 for $10 (Grandma gave me the money for my Birthday)
    from Tom Avery at Century Coins in the Century Plaza Mall, Birmingham Alabama
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1918-P Mercury Dime raw for $3.00... sent in for kicks to PCGS still in the same MS65FB Rattler today. image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    1988 Canadian silver Maple Leaf. Back in the day when silver was ~$5, which I guess wasn't that long ago.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember buying Morgans while in high school at Creighton Prep, in Omaha during 1969-1971.
    I was paying guys $10 each for them (They had to be problem free or it was $5. Some really nice ones I would give $15. I sold them upon graduation in 1973 and bought my first vehicle in 1974.
    A '54 Chevy Panel Truck for $250. I still have that and it's a basket case but it's paid for image.
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Yes, it was a 1999 Proof Silver Eagle
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I vaguely remember buying Morgans while in high school at Creighton Prep, in Omaha during 1969-1971.
    I was paying guys $10 each for them (They had to be problem free or it was $5. Some really nice ones I would give $15. I sold them upon graduation in 1973 and bought my first vehicle in 1974.
    A '54 Chevy Panel Truck for $250. I still have that and it's a basket case but it's paid for image. >>

Sounds like the 54 Chevy is in the same condition as the owner imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I vaguely remember buying Morgans while in high school at Creighton Prep, in Omaha during 1969-1971.
    A '54 Chevy Panel Truck for $250. I still have that and it's a basket case but it's paid for image. >>

Sounds like the 54 Chevy is in the same condition as the owner imageimage >>

Condition rarity image There's only one in the whole world like me image
  • pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    No -- Its not the same as remembering the first girlfiend.

• I paid $2 for an off-center lincoln cent many years ago. I gave it to my sister, and she lost it. Man, I wish I had that coin.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a little fuzzy but I know it was an VF'ish 1911D Barber Dime.
    Pretty sure it was mail order in the mid 1970's.
    Still have it too.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure do, since it was only a short 3 years agoimage
    Strange how the first coin I bought was gold and most of my coins are silverimage
    This is the one that got me interested in coins. I started an Ebay search
    for Hungarian(my background) and saw this and that was it.

Stefanie

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. back in 1965 I collected enough pop bottles that I could pay 1.25 for a fine 1839 Large cent. I liked the die crack circling the reverse and I also loved the fact that the paper envelope said Booby Head.

Edit to add: It wasn't the first coin I wanted to buy, but it was the first one the local dealer was willing to sell me. He refused to let me buy anything until I could give him a legitamite reason why I wanted this coin instead of another which might have been about the same price and age. Imagine that...someone who actually insisted that a customer learn something about what he was buying before he would take their money.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    In about 1971. I paid 75 cents for a whizzed Buffalo nickel at Grant's Department Store in San Jose. It was in a holder that said UNC. I was a cute kid back then.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BU 21 morgan out of a coin world (maybe CoinAGE) magazine, I think it was $11.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    1901 Indian Cent in VG for 35¢ from R.E. Wallace's shop in Fort Worth in 1967. I was 10.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A BU 1878-S Morgan, I paid either $7.50 or $8.00 for it. I had another 1878 $1 that my father had given me, but I lost it somehow and had to replace it.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    An 1859 Indian Head cent in a 2x2, bought at the first coin show I attended. I was about 13. The holder was marked XF but checking the copy of Trends I had, the price was a bargain - about 40% less than what Trends showed for an XF. I was so happy I got a screaming deal.

Later, I found out it was harshly cleaned. It's junk. But it served a purpose as one of my early tuition payments.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• In 1986 I purchased the Statue of Liberty Comm. It was all down hill from there.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

$65 at the local flea market 4 or 5 years ago
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• I was 14 making $3.00 for 18 holes as a caddy and paid $18.00 for a 1968 proof set at a local mall. What a dumb azz I was.......whats changed image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1999 the SHQ program sucked me in. My first purchase from the Mint was two 1999 Silver proof sets.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe two was the maximum one could order.

They look as good, as the day I received them. I think they were $31 each, I may be wrong.

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    A reprocessed 1943 cent set for $1...in 1974.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1992 ASE proof
    then I bought the 1995 3 years later
    from the mint

LCoopie = Les
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember since it was so long ago but the first coin that I paid serious money for was a BU 1927 Saint for $47 in 1965.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    An 1863 Civil War token with an American Flag on it bought at a Hollywood Florida coin show when I was ten in 1973.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    A 1912 Lincoln, probably graded about G-6. Paid 20 cents for it, probably back around 1975.
  • dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    I bought a 1943-S Walker at the YMCA coin club around 1972 when I was about 10. I remember learning later that the dealer had charged me twice what it was worth, but that was only a couple of dollars. I still have it (somewhere) image
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine wasnt really coins but when I was about 13 or 14 I remember telling my dad I want to buy silver so we were up in Lake Tahoe and we went to a shop and I bought 8 silver rounds. A week later I went to my local b&m and bought more for about 35% less in price. Been going to the same dealer for about 18 years now. I buy more from other places now but him treating me well got me going and staying in this craziness.

I still have on eof the first rounds I bought.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 811 ✭✭✭
    I picked this coin up in 1983. It was my first purchased coin. Proud of it.

What do you think is its grade? :

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    1881-S $5 Half Eagle. XF45ish as I recall...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • a silver 3 cent piece in 1973.
  • MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    A 1987 Silver Eagle about 6 months ago!
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember the first two coins that I paid more than face value for, as I have been collecting out of circulation since I was six. About 1975 as a teenager took the bus to downtown Seattle to the Frederick and Nelson department store coin shop (now the Nordstrom Flagship store). Bought 1893 and 1895 IHC in "XF+" for about $10 each. Nice coins, still have the 1893, would be AU50 now. The owner of this coin shop moved it to the Washington State convention center quite a few years ago. Coins have always clicked with me.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • AU58WALKERSAU58WALKERS Posts: 3,562
    Yes, and I still have it. A 1953 S dime that I bought in 1955 to finish my set.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    A 1976 3-coin Bicentennial silver proof set from the U.S. Mint. It was an ultramodern of course. I was 13.
  • My first purchase was a complete set of Lincolns in 1955 for $17.50 total. It even had the '22 no D. All F+.
    My first single coin was a month or two later when a man walked into our coin club with a high grade AU 1918-S Half.
    I gave him $3.00 for it & still have it in my walker collection which I assembled in six weeks from circulation except the '18-S.
    That collection and my buffalo nickels are the only 2 left from that era.
    I just have a sense of nostalgia about them and never upgraded either one as I did with all my others.
    BTW, I did add the 1914/3, 1916 DDO and the 1918/7-D nickels in recent years.
    Them wuz the gud ole dayz!!
    JET
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember the first coin I paid for but I definitely do remember
    paying $50 in 1964 for a 1927 $20 gold coin when I was 16.

I still have it, but now it has friends.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1935 Buffalo nickel in good condition for 25 cents.

From that point on, I was hooked on Buffalo nickels.
  • A 1819 large cent back in the early 1970's. I no longer have that coin, and I don't remember its grade or how much I paid for it. I was a kid attending my first coin show. Exciting!

Bob
  • Was trying to finish my Washington Quarter Set about 1955. My grandmother took me to the coin shop in downtown Baltimore and bought me the 1932D for five bucks. It was an original uncleaned "good". Still have it in the same set. I was 9 at the time. Wonderful memories. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    1926-S Lincoln cent in XF - paid a couple of bucks for it back in the late 60s.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was a slider 1909 VDB cent for my Whitman folder, from a B&M shop in Branford CT, in 1977 or 1978. My dad would bring $10 face of cent rolls home with him once or twice a week and we'd search through them trying to fill the album, but I knew the 09-VDB would never come from circulation.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file