Home Sports Talk
Options

So long Schilling

jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
Looks like this is the end. Hall of Fame?

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what the surgery reveals -- he may come back if the damage is not too bad and is 'fixable".

Wait and see what he posts in his blog in a couple weeks or so.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I respect that guy on so many levels. I really hope he can make it back.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    He thinks he might be done as well.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I heard him speak this morning on WEEI. I get the sense that he believes he's done as well. At least this way, he goes out on top. Ending his career with a WS win in '07 with his 3rd ring. Here comes the HOF discussions.............

SO LONG, CURT...........................

• Options
    Now he can spend 100% of his time on his pompous blog.

Woudn't you just love to see a Celebrity Deathmatch between Schilling and Kobe?

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Phillies fan, I can say that the Phils stage of his career hurts his HOF chances. He was such a good pitcher then, but never got great run support. For his sake, I was happy he went on to great things with Arizona and Boston. In my mind, he's HOF.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Too bad to hear the news about Schilling, but he sounds mentally prepared for the worse. As far as a HOF career, I don't think he is a HOF. He does have over 3000K's but he only had around 7 solid years and approx 12 to 13 mediocre years. He will certainly always be loved in Bosox country. It could be an example that 3000K's dosn't equate to HOF. Either way, I wish him the best and maybe he can come back healthy next year at some capacity.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    Part of Curt Schilling is already in the hall of fame. I believe the sock and a few other things from that world series game are there.
    As far as him getting voted in, I have no clue, and I think the voters will have to think long and hard about it a few years from now.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>As a Phillies fan, I can say that the Phils stage of his career hurts his HOF chances. He was such a good pitcher then, but never got great run support. For his sake, I was happy he went on to great things with Arizona and Boston. In my mind, he's HOF. >>

Hits the nail right on the head!

Kevin
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now he can spend 100% of his time on his pompous blog. >>

I'd take a pompous athlete anyday over one who refuses to say anything. Anybody can say "no comment." But expressing yourself? How can you fault anybody for that?

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. A 216-146 W-L record and 3.46 ERA is not terribly impressive. But a 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA post-season record is. I'd say he gets in first try with 78-82% of the vote.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

That was the first image that popped into my mind as well Paul.

• Options

<< <i>

P.S. A 216-146 W-L record and 3.46 ERA is not terribly impressive. But a 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA post-season record is. I'd say he gets in first try with 78-82% of the vote. >>

Well, with those numbers, there is no doubt Schilling will eventually get in. Jim Catfish Hunter was elected into the Hall of Fame
    in 1987 with a lifetime record of 224-166 and a 3.26 era. He had a 10-2 postseason record with an identical 3.26 era.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, with those numbers, there is no doubt Schilling will eventually get in. Jim Catfish Hunter was elected into the Hall of Fame
    in 1987 with a lifetime record of 224-166 and a 3.26 era. He had a 10-2 postseason record with an identical 3.26 era. >>

Good point.

I was also checking out Steve Carlton's career. He had big #'s in his career, but he had a similar career as Schilling, as far as having many mediocre years versus good years. So maybe the writers might feel his post season stats will greatly add to his career and that Schilling never came up in steriod allegations during the steriod era. He certainly did pitch during a hitters era, so I guess we will have to see what the writers think when the time comes. I think he was a HOF caliber pitcher, I just think he needed a few more solid seasons.
  • Options

<< <i> he only had around 7 solid years and approx 12 to 13 mediocre years. >>

You count years he was in the top 10 in the league in ERA as mediocre?
    Tom
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, with those numbers, there is no doubt Schilling will eventually get in. Jim Catfish Hunter was elected into the Hall of Fame
    in 1987 with a lifetime record of 224-166 and a 3.26 era. He had a 10-2 postseason record with an identical 3.26 era. >>

Good point.

I was also checking out Steve Carlton's career. He had big #'s in his career, but he had a similar career as Schilling, as far as having many mediocre years versus good years. So maybe the writers might feel his post season stats will greatly add to his career and that Schilling never came up in steriod allegations during the steriod era. He certainly did pitch during a hitters era, so I guess we will have to see what the writers think when the time comes. I think he was a HOF caliber pitcher, I just think he needed a few more solid seasons. >>

I'm sorry, Schilling's career is by no means close to Carlton's career. Steve Carlton won four Cy Young Awards. Last time I checked, Schilling won zero. Schilling was a solid pitcher, borderline HOF'er. Without the great performances in the postseason, he'd have NO chance. I think he will get in, but not for a while.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm a fan of Curt Schilling because of everything he's meant to the Red Sox. The day that Theo traveled to Curt's home to woo him to Boston might have been the single most important day in Red Sox history since that George Herman dude left town so many years ago.

He should be in the Red Sox's Hall of Fame, without question.

But I don't think he gets into Cooperstown. Part of the reason is because his career stats are just better than the average star's numbers are. I also think the other reason he won't get in is because the people that get to vote don't like him. They don't like that he expresses views that frequently contradict their views and I don't think they like the fact that he blogs -- it's like he's stepping on their toes . . . his 38pitches.com has some of the best game-recap writing out there in today's shoddy sports journalism climate.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

P.S. A 216-146 W-L record and 3.46 ERA is not terribly impressive. But a 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA post-season record is. I'd say he gets in first try with 78-82% of the vote. >>

Well, with those numbers, there is no doubt Schilling will eventually get in. Jim Catfish Hunter was elected into the Hall of Fame

Maybe not a first ballot HOF'er but with those numbers he gets in at some point.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry, Schilling's career is by no means close to Carlton's career. Steve Carlton won four Cy Young Awards. Last time I checked, Schilling won zero. Schilling was a solid pitcher, borderline HOF'er. Without the great performances in the postseason, he'd have NO chance. I think he will get in, but not for a while. >>

You are certainly correct, very well said. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly?

I was only stating Carlton did have many mediocre years as well, but I also mentioned he finished with big #'s. That being said, I basically was saying pitchers can be HOF's with many mediocre years, but they have to have many big years and have to finish with HOF career total #'s and I really don't feel that Schilling will do that. If Schilling gets into the HOF with his #'s as of today, I would think the Writers are putting way too much emphasis on his post season totals versus his career totals. It would also open the door to many other pitchers with better #'s that didn't even sniff the HOF.
  • Options

<< <i> It would also open the door to many other pitchers with better #'s that didn't even sniff the HOF. >>

There are very few pitchers with better careers than Schilling who are not in the Hall-of-Fame (in my eyes Blyleven is the only one). If Schilling were to make it, it would mean he earned a small credit for his postseason success
    Tom
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now he can spend 100% of his time on his pompous blog.

Woudn't you just love to see a Celebrity Deathmatch between Schilling and Kobe? >>

I have an extra 2004 WS DVD. You want one?
  • Options
    OK, I will trade you for the 1978 "Bucky Dent" playoff game as well as the 2003 "Aaron Boone" ALCS Game 7. I have an extra DVD of each also image

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Does it show the part in that 2003 ALCS Game 7 where Giambi and Clemens injected themselves with steroids?

Too bad we can't play that one over, without the cheating.
  • Options
    <<Too bad we can't play that one over, without the cheating>>

Hypocrite. What about your 2004 World Series?

Report: Ortiz not sure if he took steroids

Either Ortiz is dumb or a cheater. I heard on a radio show right before the Mitchell report came out that some former Minnesota Twin teammates were surprised that Big Papi was not on the Mitchell Report, but then again George Mitchell is part owner and a Director with the Red Sox. Right after Ortiz was traded from the Twins to the Red Sox he became Superman.

Mr. Bud Selig, GREAT job picking an unbiased investigator.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sorry, Schilling's career is by no means close to Carlton's career. Steve Carlton won four Cy Young Awards. Last time I checked, Schilling won zero. Schilling was a solid pitcher, borderline HOF'er. Without the great performances in the postseason, he'd have NO chance. I think he will get in, but not for a while. >>

You are certainly correct, very well said. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly?

I was only stating Carlton did have many mediocre years as well, but I also mentioned he finished with big #'s. That being said, I basically was saying pitchers can be HOF's with many mediocre years, but they have to have many big years and have to finish with HOF career total #'s and I really don't feel that Schilling will do that. If Schilling gets into the HOF with his #'s as of today, I would think the Writers are putting way too much emphasis on his post season totals versus his career totals. It would also open the door to many other pitchers with better #'s that didn't even sniff the HOF. >>

Oh, I got ya now. I agree with you.
  • Options
    Latest news on espn.com,

<< <i>Doctor: Schilling could be throwing off mound by Jan. after successful surgery >>

Maybe Schilling will get another shot at pitching