Home Metal Detecting
Options

Has anyone done any detecting on the beaches around Hunting Island SC?(pictures added)

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I am on vacation close to Hunting Island in SC and wondered if anyone has done any metal detecting on the beaches in that area? I have gone to the Hunting Island state park beach several times with very little luck.

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I've been to the park, but I don't detect. I don't recall a lot of visitors (though I was there during cool, rainy weather). If you want to, you might try checking out the campgrounds area. I was with a large group of inebriated geologists, and I'm sure groups like that drop a ton of stuff stumbling back and forth from the campground to the restrooms and into the bushes to pee. Just watch out for Eastern Diamondbacks.

EDITED to add: I'm not certain what the detecting rules are in that park.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The rate of erosion - somewhere to the tune of 90ft/yr - is much too high to find any long deposited treasure I'd think. Plus, it's not a widely combed beach. Too stumpy for surfing and no major sunning outlets.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    LOL..>large group of inebriated geologists, <
    What a sight that put into my mind... LOL

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing... I did not know geologists had fun too.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Eastern Diamondbacks image I never thought about looking out for snakes when detecting, but I will now!
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>Eastern Diamondbacks image I never thought about looking out for snakes when detecting, but I will now! >>

A friend of ours was walking in the desert near our home recently and came across a literal snake pit. He heard a strange noise like air leaking from a tire and followed it to the source. A pit in the ground with over 50 Mojave Greens writhing around in one big hissing mass. image
  • Options
    Desert Rat... that is downright scary... and I am a snake handler. What in the world caused such a concentration? Were they emerging from a den? There would have been crevices in the pit if this were so... could be what happened. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>Desert Rat... that is downright scary... and I am a snake handler. What in the world caused such a concentration? Were they emerging from a den? There would have been crevices in the pit if this were so... could be what happened. Cheers, RickO >>

This time of year is when they begin to emerge and become most active. I assume it was a den and since these snakes give birth to live young it was probably a snake maternity ward of sorts. Still, you are right, it is scary. This time of year I leave the Ipod at home when hiking around the desert and never use headhones when detecting. From October to May is usually safe though image
  • Options
    If I remember right Hunting Island has several signs that say no detecting.
  • Options

<< <i>If I remember right Hunting Island has several signs that say no detecting. >>

The signs that say no detecting are on the fence that is around the Lighthouse, there is no problem with metal detecting on the beach.
  • Options
    Where are you staying at?

I live in Beaufort, and wouldnt mind sneaking away this week for some detecting?

843-441-3271 if you want to get together.

William
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It may be neat to detect the marsh area behind the sand bar, there is palmetto thicket there. They filmed the Vietnam scenes in Forrest Gump in that marsh. May find some props?

edit: watch out for fiddler crabs though! As a young biologist I collected soil samples on Hunting to measure organic particulate weight vs male fiddler crab foreclaw length/girth. Oh, such a fun study.

edited to also add: Those Mojave green rattlesnakes are beautiful creatures.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    About 12 hours searching found $7.50, couple of silver rings and damaged ankle braclet and watch. I found all these on Hunting Island State Park beach. It is a really nice beach and I think with some good luck I might have found some gold.

• Options
    NICE!!!
    I say you did well. Must be more at that beach.

Good Job

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds... more to be found.... keep trying .. got to be some gold there.. Cheers, RickO