Home Metal Detecting

Question

Has anyone ever detected at cemeteries? I don't even know if it is legal or not. Does anyone know? Ken..The MDH

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken.. this question has been asked on several forums. The answer is - no, most not only have rules.. but people get extremely upset when detectors are seen in a cemetary. I know of some, deep in the woods, from the 1700's, that would probably be ok.. hardly anyone even knows they are there.. but big, modern cemetaries are pretty much off limits. Cheers, RickO
  • I know of one in the woods by my house but wouldn't go digging around there.
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • leave the dead alone dude its just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!and creepy.
  • deadmunnydeadmunny Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Be very careful about detecting in those abandoned cemeteries deep in the woods. One guy had a worm-eaten hand come out of the dirt and grab his ankle ...
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    there are dozens of old cemeteries around here and most are several yards from the roadway and that little trail in is where I always thought would be a great place to hunt. Just imagine some gentleman pulling his handkerchief from his pocket for the crying widow and out comes a few coins. He would never have noticed and those coins are still there.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
    Those pathways, and the 'respectful distance' where the observers gathered are prime spots.... on the old, hidden one's that is... Cheers, RickO
  • mrguby

I had no intention of detecting in any cemetary "DUDE"......I was merely asking a question.
    The Governing committee does not include you.....Go METS..... Go to the bottom that is....
  • ManMan Posts: 1,002
    I've seen the crying widow placing a wedding ring in the ground and would hate to see some detector take it out just to throw it in a drawer or on Ebay.

"I've seen the crying widow placing a wedding ring in the ground..."

Ah... the uncontested divorce.... that is the REAL meaning of this gesture.... final and complete separation - no lingering ties. Sad, but true.. not a gesture of respect. Cheers, RickO
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I hunted an abandoned cemetery years ago. It was from the 1800s to early 1900s.
    I found nothing at all.
    I cleaned off a few of the markers and stood a couple stones back up.
    It was sad, as some were for children that were only a few years old.
    Since that time, someone has begun to care for the cemetery.

Ray
    Ray, there are so many of these in the mountains where I grew up (Catskill Mountains) that it is common to find them whenever hunting or hiking. Most are just depressions in the ground, stones laid level by weather and age. Sometimes the etching cannot be read... I have seen them from the 1700's. They are usually family plots, long abandoned. Cheers, RickO