Home Metal Detecting
Options

Do Zincolns just disenegrate?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
For some reason I'm finding almost 80% copper coins to 20% Zincolns. Do the zinc coins just disenegrate in the ground after 5 years? I've seen 2003 Lincolns with holes in them...

70 S is by far the most common Lincoln I've found. If only I cared enough to look for small/large dates. image
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do corrode quickly.. depending on the ground mineralisation.... not at all like copper/bronze. Not sure of the time frame though. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Beach Toast

If they are at the beach...they don't last long.

They break down and fall apart.

That is what we have after 13 years if lost day one!

Some just get ate out from the inside and leave a shell.

The holes look like a drill did it.

But you can see the white spots...that is what they start as.

Some just peel away.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    in salt water they sure do....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Here's a Tip on what to do with your corroded ZLincolns..

Plant them under Pecan Trees !! The Zinc will help the nuts develop a stronger shell with more "meat".

FACT image
  • Options
    I too seem to find mostly copper coins to the Zinc's. The problem with the disenegration and mineralisation is how the machine reacts. My F2 tells me its either a penny/dime and even a quarter! It may point to the quarter more than the dime or penny. Sometimes the readout and the sound show quarter - you dig the 2-3 inches just to find the junk penny that is coroded, not readable and no good to anyone!
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I too seem to find mostly copper coins to the Zinc's. The problem with the disenegration and mineralisation is how the machine reacts. My F2 tells me its either a penny/dime and even a quarter! It may point to the quarter more than the dime or penny. Sometimes the readout and the sound show quarter - you dig the 2-3 inches just to find the junk penny that is coroded, not readable and no good to anyone! >>

Zincolns are a disgrace. They are as bad as pulltabs and beavertails, but at least the pulltabs don't give off the errant signals that the corroding zinkers do. I absolutely despise the little buggers.

Nice pictures Jerry!
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>Beach Toast

If they are at the beach...they don't last long.

They break down and fall apart.

That is what we have after 13 years if lost day one!

Some just get ate out from the inside and leave a shell.

The holes look like a drill did it.

But you can see the white spots...that is what they start as.

Some just peel away.

Jerry >>

Those are some preety neat errors and die varieties!!! Put them in flips and get a booth at Long Beach to sell them image
  • Options
    Great pictures... good metallurgical lesson... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    My doctor said I need to add zinc to my daily vitamins, so I'm going to start eating a Zincoln a day. image
    Bob
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803

<< <i>My doctor said I need to add zinc to my daily vitamins, so I'm going to start eating a Zincoln a day. image >>

You better pray it fully disolves.. <ouch>
  • Options
    Might be electrolysis? Thats why your supposed to have zinc plates on the bottom of your boat, at least in salt water, so that the zinc corrodes before the other metallic parts on the bottom of the boat. Or it could be that zinc is just a really poor material.
    I do web development and freelance programming, please PM me if you need a website or web application.

Want To Buy:
    Connecticut Nationals (Large and Small size)
    Connecticut Obsoletes
  • Options
    "My doctor said I need to add zinc to my daily vitamins, so I'm going to start eating a Zincoln a day."

Not a good idea.. since the copper plating will remain... until it 'passes'....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>"My doctor said I need to add zinc to my daily vitamins, so I'm going to start eating a Zincoln a day."

Not a good idea.. since the copper plating will remain... until it 'passes'....image Cheers, RickO >>

True, but then I could melt the copper and make a fortune! After I'm able to walk upright again, that is. image

Bob