Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Unofficial 1909 E90-1 American Caramel Thread

This set is a lot smaller than some other tobacco sets....its has 120 cards which seems to be an attainable number to track down..

they seem to be hard to find in high grade....many are PSA 5 and below....

great looking colors that truly look like works of art....not bad for almost 100 years old....

this set also holds the Shoeless Joe Jackson Rookie!!

Show your E90-1's if you got em!

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Did Jack Barry really run like that? Or did he mostly skip?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    looks like he's flying...AWESOME ACTION SHOT!

there has only been 5 graded cards of Barry, with only 3 higher than the PSA 2....
  • I agree what a nice set. Got bored for a little while with t206 and have started to get into the Caramel cards. Heres mine

barry only above
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Lots of cool, colorful cards in the set. I have just one left, but at least it's one of the tougher Hall of Famers.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Even with 120 cards, an EXCEPTIONALLY tough set to complete. There are about a dozen cards in the set that are very, very tough to obtain.

Aesthetically beautiful, nonetheless.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice Speaker Yawieimage If you ever think of selling, please let me knowimage

Here are my 22 hall of famers from the set image ...

Steve
    Very nice HOF collection!

thanks for sharing!

i love how these cards dont have endless back variations...more straightforward....
  • cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    nice cards everyone.
    It's actually in my sale/trade folder, Steve, though I haven't really tried to pimp it yet. Probably because I'm not entirely sure that I want to let it go. It's one of my Top 10 favorites but I might have to say goodbye if want to pick up anything new anytime soon. A major overhaul of the exterior of our house has just killed my hobby budget.
    will be sending these too PSA this week....got my pliers out...

The Horizontal Joss IS A CONDITION BEAR

Interesting that the Collins and Bresnahan are the same images used in the Tango Eggs set, 5-7 years later.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>Even with 120 cards, an EXCEPTIONALLY tough set to complete. There are about a dozen cards in the set that are very, very tough to obtain.

Aesthetically beautiful, nonetheless. >>

What are the toughest cards in the set to obtain?
    Mike Mitchell is considered the Honus Wagner of Ecards.

Graham and Sweeney, Boston are tough as well.

Here
    is an excellent thread on E90-1's
    I'd also highly recommend Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, it's about $35 on ebay and worth every penny

I don't think Mitchell really deserves the reputation it has. It's certainly not easy, but I don't know if it's that much harder than some of the underrated cards like McLean or Shean. Walsh is really tough, too. I've probably seen fewer cards of Walsh than of Mitchell offered for sale over the last few years. Of course, the real obstacle is the Jackson. I was working on the set for awhile, but gave up because I knew I'd never afford one. Or at least want to spend that much on a card I find wildly unappealing. Nah, make that downright ugly.

<< <i>I don't think Mitchell really deserves the reputation it has. It's certainly not easy, but I don't know if it's that much harder than some of the underrated cards like McLean or Shean. Walsh is really tough, too. I've probably seen fewer cards of Walsh than of Mitchell offered for sale over the last few years. Of course, the real obstacle is the Jackson. I was working on the set for awhile, but gave up because I knew I'd never afford one. Or at least want to spend that much on a card I find wildly unappealing. Nah, make that downright ugly. >>

not the nicest card, funny purplish background, but its considered JOE JACKSON'S ROOKIE....that alone is enough for me to want it....(you know me and rookies)
    WOW Joe Jackson PSA 1 went for $8,500 on ebay!!!!! went for $2,500 in 2004.......

can you say HOT SET?
    some recent pickups, 1 HOFer.....

darn!

donald spence is the newest member on the registry.....
  • Just got this one back from SGC today. I agree it is a great looking set. Drew

Bobby Wallace E 90-1
    Collecting Musial, K. Boyer, Simmons - The Cardinal Years, & vintage cards
    ted, you bought that raw on EBAY?

5 is very high for this issue
  • I bought it from an older gentlemen that I was speaking to at a card shop about how the cardinals and that I am looking to collect one card of every cardinal hall of famer. I always carry my list of cardinal cards I need with me, he took it home and came back with the Bobby Wallace and a 1910-11 Sporting Life Frank Corridon as he apologized that Wallace was not pictured with cardinals. The Corridon graded out a 3.

Drew
    Collecting Musial, K. Boyer, Simmons - The Cardinal Years, & vintage cards
  • very cool story ted!

very Old Skool

• << <i>I don't think Mitchell really deserves the reputation it has. It's certainly not easy, but I don't know if it's that much harder than some of the underrated cards like McLean or Shean. Walsh is really tough, too. I've probably seen fewer cards of Walsh than of Mitchell offered for sale over the last few years. Of course, the real obstacle is the Jackson. I was working on the set for awhile, but gave up because I knew I'd never afford one. Or at least want to spend that much on a card I find wildly unappealing. Nah, make that downright ugly. >>

where does Jerry Upp fall?

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think Mitchell really deserves the reputation it has. It's certainly not easy, but I don't know if it's that much harder than some of the underrated cards like McLean or Shean. Walsh is really tough, too. I've probably seen fewer cards of Walsh than of Mitchell offered for sale over the last few years. Of course, the real obstacle is the Jackson. I was working on the set for awhile, but gave up because I knew I'd never afford one. Or at least want to spend that much on a card I find wildly unappealing. Nah, make that downright ugly. >>

where does Jerry Upp fall? >>

Upp falls downn!!

imageimage

Now, on a serious note...I agree with Walsh being more difficult than Mitchell. I'm collecting the hall of famers in the set, and have only seen two Walsh's in the last three years or so; both miscut (severely off-center). There have been several Mitchell's offered in the same timeframe. I've also seen more Upp's than Walsh or Mitchell.

Another card that I feel is more difficult than Mitchell, is Speaker. I think I've only seen two Speakers in the last couple of years. On Jackson, I don't think it rises to the rarity of even Mitchell. IMO, it's more of a difficulty due to it's popularity and resulting cost.

Steve
  • new pickup, Tough Overall.....great green background, a hallmark of many caramel cards....

SMR for PSA 4 is $650...i wish they would get rid of the PSA 8 and PSA 9 prices for this set and price the PSA 3 and PSA 2's.......i think there is only 1 or 2 PSA 8-9 , and there are many more low grade examples....

• another pick up...supposed to be a "toughie" .....VCP hasnt logged a sale of this card in 2 years!
  • another recent pick up... i just love this set!!!!
  • even though i may be the only person actively collecting these.....i wanted to post this card....im real happy about this pick up.....A REAL TOUGHIE

Congratulations on that Duffy Scott...that's a nice oneimage

I'm still collecting the HOFers in the set (I posted all my cards on the first page of this thread). I just either haven't found any of the cards I still need, or I haven't been able to afford to get any new ones in the last few months image

But I'll be back though image

Steve
  • steve, any additions? i have a few...

<< <i>steve, any additions? i have a few... >>

Nothing in quite a while Scott image

Then again, the ones I need, are the toughest: Clarke (Pittsburgh), Cobb, Joss (Pitching), Keeler, (Throwing and Portrait Red Background), Speaker, Wagner (fielding), Walsh and Young (Cleveland).

Steve
  • Steve, those are some toughies you have left.......

im drawn to the RED background cards....they make the image really pop off the page, almost in 3-dimensions....

here are some recent pickups heading to PSA soon....

• new pick ups.....

Walsh is one of the toughest Caramel cards out there IMO....

some kid drew in the border with pencil..oh well

• just cant get enough if this set....can you say addicted?

• new pickups!

Scott,

Congratulations on that Walsh!

I saw it when it went up on ebay and considered bidding on it, since it has by far the best centering of any that I've seen. Ultimately though, I decided to wait for another one.

Steve
  • steve, i have been waiting for one of those for about a year....didnt know when i would see another so........
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would share my first purchase of a 1909 E90-1 American Caramel card. Here is a scan of it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • awesome first pick up DONATO! keep it up!

a recent pick up....

BTW: im getting close to a discovery in this set that is unknown...any advice who in PSA to talk to about this 100 year old discovery?
  • wow awesome cards!

how do you get scans up? im having a problem.....

fadango, do you use a service for posting scans?
  • try using photobucket or something like that to "host" your scans....

and welcome to the boards
  • lol still havent figured it out.....i like to smell the cards anyway, not look at them on screens.....
    Just recently picked up two of the tougher cards in the set image :

Steve
  • awesome cards...the keeler is really tuff, but that one looks nice! congrats
    really pumped about these pickups......some some Lobert is one of the toughest in the set!

• SDS...here is one of my Keeler's....notice how some kid wrote " HALL OF FAME" on the UL red area and then it was eventually erased? looks like yours had a notation also that was erased ...maybe it was the layout of this card that enticed scribble, or maybe the same kid owned these two cards at one point.....something to ponder...they could be brothers our cards!

PS...notice how few E90-1's have been for sale at auction on ebay?
    Picked this up about a month or so ago and finally scanned it over the weekend:

imageimage

Almost bid on the Mitchell in Heritage, I think it was, but ended up staying on the sidelines. I didn't check VCP, but it seemed to close for a reasonable price.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pickup...image

The image of Walsh on that card looks great...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • I have an E90-1 Crawford hall of famer in a PSA-6 holder for sale for $1700 if anyone would like a nice card!

in box me with e-mail address if you'd like a scan.

• Yawie, AMAZING WALSH!!! What venue did you aquire it in?

that is one of the toughest cards in the set!

no to mention that guy was an INSANELY GREAT PITCHER!

congrats! so you have the Speaker and the Walsh? sounds like a great foundation to start the entire set image