Home U.S. Coin Forum

On 6-1-2008 Wondercoin stated the "MS Clad era is about to explode on the scene". Wonderco

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
............. would you be so kind as to tells us the details and reasons behind your statement.

BTW he posted his statement on 6-1-2008 on the Registry Forum in a thread about Kennedy halves. I just read his reply to that thread and it got me curious. Hopefully he will give some details and reasons.

Comments

• pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Just hype for his big sale coming up. LOL J/K. I like the guy. He has balls IMO. But please give us little people the scoop.

If you look at some recent sales the dollar amounts to me are mind blowing. I can see why collectors would go this route.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I've been waiting too, but didn't think to ask. image

In his defence it's only been three days.
    Tempus fugit.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin......................, where are you?
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanctionII: Here is what I base my opinion on:

A. The difference between noise and music - "timing" of course. The 1965-1990's Mint State clad coins are now "ripe". Enough time has passed. Coins that have remained very low pop over the past 5-10 years (even 20+ years of PCGS grading) have "proven themselves" in many collectors' eyes .

B. The collector base is growing for these coins - we no longer have 3 or 4 guys collecting MS Kennedy half Dollars or post-1965 Jefferson nickels, etc., etc. We have many, many guys looking for these great, low pop, 1965-1990's coins, INCLUDING THE YEAR SET COLLECTORS - a key component to the strong demand these days.

C. PCGS is as strict as they ever have been (IMHO) on the grades on these coins. Remember what happened to 1934-date Wheat cents in MS68RD or better date MS67RD when it was a known fact that PCGS was brutal on these coins? Let me refresh your memory in case you have forgotten - 1954-P MS67RD - about $20,000, misc. (common date) MS68RD coins $10,000 - $20,000, etc. IMHO, the same is starting to happen now with key date clad MS coins. It is just the beginning IMHO.

D. We still have a great % of contrarian collectors who hate post 1964 coinage. A 1969-P quarter in true MS67 - I know and Cladking knows and Russ knows and 50 other people know just how scarce and valuable that coin is. BUT, at the same time, 500 other classic collectors still have no idea (i.e. that the coin is probably a $5,000+ coin in true MS67 grade). As they begin to catch on, just watch what happens to prices!!

Is that enough for now to start the flaming?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

<< <i>

Wondercoin >>

Let me help.

I made a list of ten or twelve things that would all have to occur before
    moderns took off. This was back in 1978 and at that time it didn't seem
    possible that it would take longer than 6 or 8 years. Really it seemed as
    though if it hadn't happened before 1985 or so then it never would.

But I was wrong. The first thing on the list (attention of the numismatic
    press) didn't even happen until 1986, and the last one (differentiation in
    mint sets) didn't happen until just this past summer.

Close observers will see that there are increasing ads in the papers for
    moderns and increasing numbers of companies beginning to serve these
    markets.

As I've long said; there isn't even enough of a lot of this material to feed
    the pipeline. We will see inventories of raw material continue to shrink
    until there is nothing left for prices to rise.

As WonderCoin said, this isn't a few guys competing any longer but thou-
    sands of collectors pursuing coins for collections. As the scale of the end-
    eavor changes it has to be fundamentally alterred in order to be in line
    with the available supply.

Whether we see this new order in the near future or next year or some
    other time, there can't really be much doubt that it is coming.
    Tempus fugit.
  • and what might be items to search for before JQ public wakes up?
    Thanks
    Rob
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>SanctionII: Here is what I base my opinion on:

A. The difference between noise and music - "timing" of course. The 1965-1990's Mint State clad coins are now "ripe". Enough time has passed. Coins that have remained very low pop over the past 5-10 years (even 20+ years of PCGS grading) have "proven themselves" in many collectors' eyes .

B. The collector base is growing for these coins - we no longer have 3 or 4 guys collecting MS Kennedy half Dollars or post-1965 Jefferson nickels, etc., etc. We have many, many guys looking for these great, low pop, 1965-1990's coins, INCLUDING THE YEAR SET COLLECTORS - a key component to the strong demand these days.

C. PCGS is as strict as they ever have been (IMHO) on the grades on these coins. Remember what happened to 1934-date Wheat cents in MS68RD or better date MS67RD when it was a known fact that PCGS was brutal on these coins? Let me refresh your memory in case you have forgotten - 1954-P MS67RD - about $20,000, misc. (common date) MS68RD coins $10,000 - $20,000, etc. IMHO, the same is starting to happen now with key date clad MS coins. It is just the beginning IMHO.

D. We still have a great % of contrarian collectors who hate post 1964 coinage. A 1969-P quarter in true MS67 - I know and Cladking knows and Russ knows and 50 other people know just how scarce and valuable that coin is. BUT, at the same time, 500 other classic collectors still have no idea (i.e. that the coin is probably a $5,000+ coin in true MS67 grade). As they begin to catch on, just watch what happens to prices!!

Wondercoin >>

I certainly value you're opinion on Clad becoming hot, and am not discounting that.

What drives me crazy though is when someone states that "PCGS is as strict as they ever have been", and they are "brutal" on certain coins.

What the collector and market deserves is CONSISTENCY across the years, not a see-saw business model of gradflation than strict grading, and then repeat after a few years.

How they can keep their credibility doing this is beyond me.

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    But when the grading is strict

regrade during gradeflation, then

sell!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    I Guess it would be a good time to sell my lower POP Kennedys then? Such as the 64-D, 76-D clad, 82-D, 84-P&D, 97-P, 03-P&D in top POP?. I think it will be harder and more expensive to get ALL modern carp in top pops for many yaers! Just my fifty cent opinion. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>But when the grading is strict

regrade during gradeflation, then

sell! >>

good for people that keep up with the "game", but for the majority of collectors they get hosed buying overgraded and overpriced stuff. Again, how they keep their credibility when this happens so often is beyond me.

• fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SanctionII: Here is what I base my opinion on:

A. The difference between noise and music - "timing" of course. The 1965-1990's Mint State clad coins are now "ripe". Enough time has passed. Coins that have remained very low pop over the past 5-10 years (even 20+ years of PCGS grading) have "proven themselves" in many collectors' eyes . >>

So basically you are saying condition rarity has finally been narrowed
    down based on labels in plastic? That is what I am thinking. You are
    hoping that plastic mania sets in and people ignore coins right below
    that as unworthy compared to them.

Also how many rolls are sitting unopened? How many coins are just
    sitting around from multi million coin mintages? No one can really answer
    that accurately but there must be quite a few because people on this
    very forum ooccasionally make pop 1 coins over the last years.

I think the majority of the dates are common but when you add plastic and labels you can turn what is common in BU into a crazy
    nut house where people seek out things one point higher! My god..
    paying huge multiples for one grade higher is like a modern dealers
    wet dream in my mind.

I wonder how many dealers will be educating their clients that hey..
    this MS68 XXX has 500 coins right below it. You better be very sure
    you know what you are getting in to..

I doubt very few.

<< <i>B. The collector base is growing for these coins - we no longer have 3 or 4 guys collecting MS Kennedy half Dollars or post-1965 Jefferson nickels, etc., etc. We have many, many guys looking for these great, low pop, 1965-1990's coins, INCLUDING THE YEAR SET COLLECTORS - a key component to the strong demand these days. >>

I can agree with this. Coin collecting is fun. Collecting moderns is a great
    hobby. I can see this driving up prices in a reasonable slow fashion
    over time, but to expect an explosion is wishful thinking and a modern
    dealer's wet dream. Keys will have a chance to explode but the rest
    is just spending money based on the plastic label's grade.

<< <i>C. PCGS is as strict as they ever have been (IMHO) on the grades on these coins. Remember what happened to 1934-date Wheat cents in MS68RD or better date MS67RD when it was a known fact that PCGS was brutal on these coins? Let me refresh your memory in case you have forgotten - 1954-P MS67RD - about $20,000, misc. (common date) MS68RD coins $10,000 - $20,000, etc. IMHO, the same is starting to happen now with key date clad MS coins. It is just the beginning IMHO. >>

1954P, hmm let me think about that. I often recall seeing BU rolls
    for sale at antique stores let alone at a coin show. 20,000 for a common
    date wheat cent that you can probably buy raw in BU for oh, 5 bucks? Such folly. Training coin collectors to think there is such great
    value in trying to own what is known as PCGS's finest graded...
    yay, you have a 68 wheat penny. You are 60 years old and cannot
    even see it properly since your eyes are so bad. fun!

<< <i>D. We still have a great % of contrarian collectors who hate post 1964 coinage. A 1969-P quarter in true MS67 - I know and Cladking knows and Russ knows and 50 other people know just how scarce and valuable that coin is. BUT, at the same time, 500 other classic collectors still have no idea (i.e. that the coin is probably a $5,000+ coin in true MS67 grade). As they begin to catch on, just watch what happens to prices!!

image >>

Here we go again using condition rarity as a selling point. Do not
    mind the fact there is 1000s and 1000s of these coins in lower grades... fixate on owning the "finest known". This is the best example
    we know of. You have to spend big bucks to pony up to the table
    to own this beauty. For 10 bucks you can get one that is darn nice
    but ignore that... you need this one. See!

flaming has started.

lets face it. i find the whole condition rarity thing in moderns to be
    marketing. 1869P quarters are not even worth sending in unless they
    are GEM BU. sigh. have fun!

here is what wondercoin would probably sell to you during the explosion.
    kennedy half. 67 label. prob a 64-65 now days.
  • My 2 cents...

There are thousands of collectors brought in by the state quarter program etc. They are just starting out and will collect what they are familar with. Most will get distracted by other things that come up in life and stop collecting. Some will become more serious and go after certain series by year. Some of these collectors will seek to obtain the finest coin they can for each year. They will learn about the grading services and go after high grade coins.

They will hear from other collectors that "modern" coins are lurking out there in mint state by the truckful and shouldn't be bothered with. They will spend time, effort and money looking for certain years and not be able to find said truckful of MINT STATE coins that are HIGH GRADE.

Perversely, it will be when these clad collectors tell the "other collectors" that certain MS clad coins are rare in high grades and have a dedicated collector base with money to spend that we hear about crazy money someone spent on a ___. Without numerous roll collectors to provide fresh material and mint sets picked through, true gems will explode.

I agree with Wondercoin that the "other collectors" are catching on, maybe they read message boards?

This is my opinion, consider what you paid for it.

Some call it an accumulation not a collection

<< <i>

marketing. 1969P quarters are not even worth sending in unless they
    >>

I'd challenge you to even come up with a nice choice MS-63 '69 quarter in a week. It needs
    to be reasonably well struck and not heavily marked. No chicken scratching around the peri-
    phery though.

You won't find one nor will you find a BU roll even if you had the contacts.

It wasn't too hard a few years ago because all you really need is access to ten or twelve mint
    sets but finding this number of mint sets isn't so easy any longer.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>

<< <i>

marketing. 1969P quarters are not even worth sending in unless they
    >>

I'd challenge you to even come up with a nice choice MS-63 '69 quarter in a week. It needs
    to be reasonably well struck and not heavily marked. No chicken scratching around the peri-
    phery though.

You won't find one nor will you find a BU roll even if you had the contacts.

It wasn't too hard a few years ago because all you really need is access to ten or twelve mint
    sets but finding this number of mint sets isn't so easy any longer. >>

I mentioned wheat pennies from the 50s as being common in rolls.
    not the 1869P quarters.

but just go look at the pops for these coins. a MS60 is worth what?
    a few dollars? You can easily find one or two examples of a date/mint
    that has a respectable chance of being extremely tough and it seems
    the 69P is the one we discuss most often.

If they are so valuable and great why don't people bother submit them then? Why do i not see in NGC pops a ton of 58s and 60-61s
    that people were hoping to get a 63?

because it is not worth the time. It has to be a TOP POP otherwise
    it is common.

Sure i picking on the 69P is hardly the best example and i am bound
    to lose on this particular date/mint. But lets face it, for most my comments
    are spot on.

plus, you give me a weeks time? gee. wow. real tough... ;-)
    i imagine in a few months I could have a few choices... wooooo

<< <i>and what might be items to search for before JQ public wakes up?
    Thanks
    Rob >>

If a mass market were to develop then you'd see all sorts of things
    going crazy. It wouldn't just be the scarce coins like '82-P in MS-65
    it would be just about anything in chU and better. No, a '70-P dime
    won't go from 20c to $40 but you couldn't find a coin like this if there
    were any real demand.

But it's not just going to be "plastic" that's exploding. The high grade
    coins would do well all the way down to VF on a lot of moderns. Scar-
    cities like the clad quarter reverse varieties and all the tougher dates
    would have to ratchet higher.

Today, a lot of these coins are even hard to find all worn out in circu-
    lation. What's going to happen to the prices of the uncs when there
    are fewer than a hundred thousand in existence?

Tempus fugit.
    fc: That comment of yours to my original post, overall, was actually fairly complimentary to my overall opinion. Thank you.

Regarding the "strictness" issue- please "don't shoot the messenger." Look, it is common knowledge that fresh (not picked through) "rattlers" can grade a point or even two points higher today in a variety of classic coin series - agreed? This is generally without dispute from those who have been on the slab scene since 1986. So, why is it at all disturbing that the very opposite might be possible in the case of MS moderns from the 1960's to 1990's graded over the past 3 years or so? Everyone accepts rattlers can be fertile ground for easy upgrades today. So, all I am pointing out is (IMHO) that MS modern holders from the past few years are comparable to the rattlers of yesteryear - just in a "flip flopped" manner. The coins are spectacular for the grade in a great many instances IMHO. You can decide if that is good or bad - I simply commented on my observation.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

<< <i>

I mentioned wheat pennies from the 50s as being common in rolls.
    not the 1869P quarters.

but just go look at the pops for these coins. a MS60 is worth what?
    a few dollars? You can easily find one or two examples of a date/mint
    that has a respectable chance of being extremely tough and it seems
    the 69P is the one we discuss most often.

If they are so valuable and great why don't people bother submit them
    then? Why do i not see in NGC pops a ton of 58s and 60-61s that peo-
    ple were hoping to get a 63?

because it is not worth the time. It has to be a TOP POP otherwise
    it is common.

Sure i picking on the 69P is hardly the best example and i am bound
    to lose on this particular date/mint. But lets face it, for most my comments
    are spot on.

plus, you give me a weeks time? gee. wow. real tough... ;-)
    i imagine in a few months I could have a few choices... wooooo >>

In a vacuum your comments are spot on. But coins don't exist in a vacuum, they exist on a continuum.

There are easy ones and hard ones. There common ones and rare ones. But there are also ones that
    were made in huge quantity but simply don't survive. People quit saving and colllecting coins in 1964
    so they are pretty much all gone except those saved inadvertantly like the mint sets. None of the coins
    appearing in mint sets will be rare but many coins don't appear in the sets and, in many cases, almost
    all mint set coins are junk.

To a collector of the moderns it doesn't matter if it looks to you that he is collecting plastic or is the ulti-
    mate fool. He's simply seeking to complete a collection and when there are thousands of such collect-
    ors seeking hundreds of coins you're going to see fireworks. It's really the same thing in a mass market
    but on a lesser scale. Most of the clad exists in unc in lower quantities than the '50-D nickel. People
    tend to mock this coin and say how it was once a $200 (in '08 dollars), but often neglect to see it's a $20
    coin today.
    Tempus fugit.
    I made a list of ten or twelve things that would all have to occur before moderns took off.

CK - Did you ever publish that list?

Wondercoin
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    This is a great discussion, everyone. Except for nickels and Kennedys, I do not collect modern clad coins, but I think the potential for truly interesting collecting is terrific. I'd love to see thousands of collectors enter this market--and yes, drive up prices on the best coins. I think it would be great for collecting as a whole, because it would keep the average collector searching through pocket change.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

<< <i>I made a list of ten or twelve things that would all have to occur before moderns took off.

CK - Did you ever publish that list?

Wondercoin >>

No. Hell, I don't even remember them any longer. image I could probably redevelop it though.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>This is a great discussion, everyone. Except for nickels and Kennedys, I do not collect modern clad coins, but I think the potential for truly interesting collecting is terrific. I'd love to see thousands of collectors enter this market--and yes, drive up prices on the best coins. I think it would be great for collecting as a whole, because it would keep the average collector searching through pocket change. >>

Pocket change will be almost the sole source for many of the more interesting coins.

These coins are all worn now so a lot of these will be scarce in nice shape. Frankly,
    I find it more exciting to think what effect all the looking will have on the pocket change
    itself. Velocity will increase and the coins with the lowest turn over will be most affected.
    Circulation is like a big coin grinder and millions of people looking for coins will just crank
    it up to high speed.
    Tempus fugit.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<<<MS clads are about to explode in the scene>>>>

I suspect that when the statehood quarters ends will trigger new interest in the clad quarters.

The clad dimes and halves will have to wait a bit longer since no major design change is involved.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Since having a particular interest in top grade circ strike clad coinage since 1998, I welcome the growing
    collector base in the coming years.

Because these coins have very high original mintages and still exist in mint sets and original rolls (some in
    bag quantities) to varying degrees, the grade/value issue is practically an "all or nothing" theme, i.e.
    a certain coin may bring a surprisingly high price in the ultimate grade whereas in merely choice BU it isn't
    even worth the TPG's grading fee. The pop reports will show increases in top grades when someone
    finds the "right" roll and submits several superb examples while other issues' populations remain little
    changed since few or none are found (and recognized by a knowing person.)

I continue to submit (no pun intended) that modern clad circ strike coinage are a part of numismatic history
    of the U.S. and some collectors want to own the best available examples of their favored series. They
    will compete for the tough top-grade issues and bid accordingly.

Considering the time/effort and money to find and encapsulate the right coins, it'll take a seemingly high
    price to give a submitter incentive to sell such coins as well.
  • TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>B. The collector base is growing for these coins - we no longer have 3 or 4 guys collecting MS Kennedy half Dollars or post-1965 Jefferson nickels, etc., etc. We have many, many guys looking for these great, low pop, 1965-1990's coins, INCLUDING THE YEAR SET COLLECTORS - a key component to the strong demand these days. >>

Sorry, but Mitch is all wet behind the ears on this one! No one in their right mind collects Kennedy half dollars, they are "Ugly"image

If you are thinking about collecting, go with the Early Commemoratives, Franklins or Walkers - don't waste your time or money chasing those stupid Kennedy coins.image
  • This has been a very interesting discussion. I predict clad coins will take off. I base this on the fact I collect them. Every other series I have ever collected have taken off to the point I can no longer affford them.

In the meantime, here is a question for cladking.
    1970 D halves were in the mint sets only. Many were cut up for the halves. Does that make the other denominations scarcer or more common? I would imagine quarters would be the most unpopular initially. I know some dealers seem to have considerable quantities of 1970 mint set quarters. By far most 1970 D mint set quarters were IIIm. It is possible to find others including doubled dies in mint sets. Do you think the otherwise ordinary 1970 D IIIb might be worth a premium someday?

My 1970 D circulation census was:
    IIIb 84.3%
    IIIm (M) 11.2 %
    IIIb/m 4.4% !
    IIb (B) 0.1%

In case anybody else is wondering what the heck I am talking about, perhaps cladking can throw in a real live link to my 1970 D thread..
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&amp;threadid=627990&amp;highlight_key=y&amp;keyword1=1970 d cut and paste version
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=659907&highlight_key=y simplified pick up points
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I have truly enjoyed reading this clad coin thread. There is much insight and wisdom. Question.... please estimate when state quarters will be collected and priced per coin/grade? Will this ever happen in thenext 20 years ? Will this rescue the collector value of the well known WI extra leaf quarters ? I have heard that the Greysheet will not include the Extra Leaf coins until many years from now when the state quarters are listed by issue and grade...please comment. Great reading and insight... Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The primary question in my mind is where will the collectors brought in by the state quarters will go. Will the go sideways towards other moderns and clad coins or will they begin go move backwards towards silver washingtons...etc.

It was my thought years ago they would move back, not sideways so to speak. However, I am reevaluating that thought as time moves on. It is an empirical issue that will be tested in the coming years.

I have no vested interest in either outcome, just interest. High grade moderns (high being MS67 in some cases for clad coins) are a very specialized collecting area, but certainly dont deserve the bashing they take from some folks who are narrow minded.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

<< <i>This has been a very interesting discussion. I predict clad coins will take off. I base this on the fact I collect them. Every other series I have ever collected have taken off to the point I can no longer affford them.

In the meantime, here is a question for cladking.
    1970 D halves were in the mint sets only. Many were cut up for the halves. Does that make the other denominations scarcer or more common? I would imagine quarters would be the most unpopular initially. I know some dealers seem to have considerable quantities of 1970 mint set quarters. By far most 1970 D mint set quarters were IIIm. It is possible to find others including doubled dies in mint sets. Do you think the otherwise ordinary 1970 D IIIb might be worth a premium someday?

My 1970 D circulation census was:
    IIIb 84.3%
    IIIm (M) 11.2 %
    IIIb/m 4.4% !
    IIb (B) 0.1%

In case anybody else is wondering what the heck I am talking about, perhaps cladking can throw in a real live link to my 1970 D thread.. >>

link 1
    link 2 with simplified pickup points

Tempus fugit.
    Just logged on and reread this thread. Lots of very good replies to an interesting topic. Makes me want to go out and buy some early clad mint sets and scrounge around for some early clad MS rolls and singles, just to see if I can find a few gems amongst the dross. It also makes me more glad that I collected MS clads from circulation in Denver in the 60's and 70's and put them in Whitman albums.

What is really interesting is that, thus far, the replies have been thoughtful, informational and intellectual without any flames.

Where is the fun, excitement and agitiation that goes along with the flames image

Maybe the flames will show up later today.

How about fans of moderns changing the presentation of the never ending debate on the forums from "classics v. moderns" to "moderns v. classics" image

It's difficult to be certain what will result from all the cutting of the '70 mint set. Very
    large numbers of these were destroyed early on and a few of the coins survive. This
    survival will work strongly against the sharply reduced populations. So many may have
    survived because of two factors; most of the coins in this set are nice quality and the
    sets were destroyed in such large batches that saving the coins seemed a natural.

The regular '70-D quarter roll is one of the more common of the early clad quarters.
    Probably nearly 100,000 coins were saved in rolls. This is much easier to understand
    since there was a massive quality improvement in 1970. You couldn't tell on a lot of
    the Philly issues but almost all the Denvers were better.

Circulation Philly issues aren't so commonly seen any longer but the Denvers are easily
    located. They are invarible heavily worn with the finest likely seen as F and the finest
    in collections in VF.

The demand for varieties is likely largely the result of high mintages since collectors al-
    ways desire both quality and rarity and regular issue coins since 1934 tend to be com-
    mon. Initially only the scarcest varieties will have a lot of price pressure because the
    number of collectors is still small and the mintages were huge. But as time goes on more
    collectors will mean more demand. Those with their varieties from pocket change will
    want to try to upgrade and these will all come under more stress. Even "common" mint
    set varieties will remain available since the sets are not going to all disappear for dec-
    ades. It might seem like they disappeared when demand exceeds supply but they'll
    still be available for a price.
    Tempus fugit.
    The 1969-P, 1971-P and 1973-P are spectacularly difficult quarters to locate in true MS67 grade (and probably in that order). Add to that the 1983-P to name just -4- "killer" clad quarters that should shatter price records when and if MS67 coin(s) are ever offered for public sale. The quarters should do very well along with the MS kennedys and nickels I previously mentioned.

Wondercoin
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Not only will it happen, it is already happening.

When coins are almost 50 years old, they are

no longer modern Cr*p. At this rate, pretty

soon, Wondercoin may well be considered a

Classical Coin Dealer. image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I challenge to the FC's of the world to name something THEY have contributed to the hobby that will endure for 200 years? Nothing? For me saving the finest of the day, our modern, is something that 100 years from now will mean something, when coinage was a thing of the past and everything was melted down due to inflation of all metals. Personally I have made many top pops in a variety of series, some of top POPs were only made by me. I take pride in that and I did do something that will impact the hobby for 100+ years. What have you done?

I can't get over how some would spend the finest example of a coin, it is short sighted. I do understand how some can't grasp the money spent on these but you only need to start searching to find out what it really takes. How much is your time worth?
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not only will it happen, it is already happening. >>

I agree with this, although I think "modern crap" will stick. image

<< <i>The 1969-P, 1971-P and 1973-P are spectacularly difficult quarters to locate in true MS67 grade (and probably in that order). Add to that the 1983-P to name just -4- "killer" clad quarters that should shatter price records when and if MS67 coin(s) are ever offered for public sale. The quarters should do very well along with the MS kennedys and nickels I previously mentioned.

Wondercoin >>

The '71 is relatively easy inm high grade compared to these others but
    the '71 in high grade is usually more like MS-66. The '73 is the only one
    of these "easy" in gem.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>The 1969-P, 1971-P and 1973-P are spectacularly difficult quarters to locate in true MS67 grade (and probably in that order). Add to that the 1983-P to name just -4- "killer" clad quarters that should shatter price records when and if MS67 coin(s) are ever offered for public sale. The quarters should do very well along with the MS kennedys and nickels I previously mentioned.

Wondercoin >>

I still believe the '82-P in true gem with a solid strike from new dies will prove the most difficult of all the non-variety clads.
    Tempus fugit.

• << <i>The 1969-P, 1971-P and 1973-P are spectacularly difficult quarters to locate in true MS67 grade (and probably in that order). Add to that the 1983-P to name just -4- "killer" clad quarters that should shatter price records when and if MS67 coin(s) are ever offered for public sale. The quarters should do very well along with the MS kennedys and nickels I previously mentioned.

Wondercoin >>

So I should send in my 1983-P QTR in MS67 to PCGS and watch the money roll in?

P.S. I am serious......at least I think I still have it...fingers crossed
    You absolutely should send in your 1983-P quarter. The coin worth multi-thousands of dollars in PCGS-MS67 and a few hundred or so even in MS66.

Wondercoin
    Hey, where do you guys weigh-in on the whole Full Steps discussion. With the elitist buying trends toward top-pop and all that, is it worth it to collect high-grade nickels that are not FS? Or are all the non-FS nickels going to be left in the dust?

For that matter, are post-64 nickels as tough as dimes and quarters in higher grades?

<< <i>Hey, where do you guys weigh-in on the whole Full Steps discussion. With the elitist buying trends toward top-pop and all that, is it worth it to collect high-grade nickels that are not FS? Or are all the non-FS nickels going to be left in the dust? >>

It depends a lot on the date for these. FS and full strike sometmes have a negative correlation
    and some dates come all banged up. There will be spillover demand into non-FS nickels across
    the board but some are fairly common in nice condition.

<< <i>
    For that matter, are post-64 nickels as tough as dimes and quarters in higher grades? >>

The supply of post-'64 nickels is very very spotty. Many of the date/ mm's are very common but
    others are nearly as scarce as the clads. Nickels may be even tougher than Ikes in the very high-
    est grades. It seems there's always something wrong with each specimen. Ikes usually each
    have multiple little problems even when they're nice, the nickels seem to usually have a major
    flaw. Recent dates can be found nice but some earlier dates since '64 may not even exist in tru-
    ly superb condition.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>I challenge to the FC's of the world to name something THEY have contributed to the hobby that will endure for 200 years? Nothing? For me saving the finest of the day, our modern, is something that 100 years from now will mean something, when coinage was a thing of the past and everything was melted down due to inflation of all metals. Personally I have made many top pops in a variety of series, some of top POPs were only made by me. I take pride in that and I did do something that will impact the hobby for 100+ years. What have you done?

I can't get over how some would spend the finest example of a coin, it is short sighted. I do understand how some can't grasp the money spent on these but you only need to start searching to find out what it really takes. How much is your time worth? >>

these top pops you made. are they like the kennedy 67 we saw a few
    days ago graded during pcgs very liberal time frame?

the more i learn about this hobby and plastic/labels is that most of
    what i see is not what it seems to be. especially moderns.

fbl anyone? full steps? top pops that were graded during a liberal time
    frame if cracked out today and regraded would take multi point drops?

who is fooling who?

on the other hand i applaud you for trying to locate the best you
    possibly can for storage and future collectors to enjoy!
    Thanks for the insights, CK. As always, I learned a lot.

I've been going through bank rolls of nickels fairly often and believe that the coin counting machines are just destroying huge quantities of these that might otherwise be collectable. It seems almost criminal the way they are chewed up. That's going to make even tougher to put together a nice set.
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I send in my fair share of 1965-98 clad quarters to PCGS and I'm keeping most of the MS-66 & better
    that I receive since they currently do not bring commensurate prices for the time and money involved in
    getting PCGS to cooperate. I actually like these coins along with any truly MS-66/+ clad Ike Dollar.

<< <i>

these top pops you made. are they like the kennedy 67 we saw a few
    days ago graded during pcgs very liberal time frame?

>>

Coins aren't really graded, they are priced.

That Kennedy has some pretty remarkabkle attributes that many collectors
    value very highly still.

Since moderns tend to have a lot fewer of the confounding grading charact-
    eristics than the older coins, this is a very weak argument against them. In-
    deed, if you're worried about changing grading standards you should flee
    classics completely.

But as no one tires of pointing out collectors should buy the coin rather than
    the plastic anyway.
    Tempus fugit.
    Just got back in the office after a day long mediation of a real estate dispute.

Checked this thread again and found more civil, erudite, discussion of the topic. Way Cool. No flaming yet. This thread gets better and better.

I have no clue when, if ever, modern clad coinage will come of age as collectible coins. However, I still really like the idea of collectors devoting time and effort to locate, acquire and preserve high quality examples of these coins for themselves and ergo future generations of collectors. Though minted in huge numbers the reality is that which CladKing tells us regularly. Specifically these coins were not saved in any significant amount and many of these coins were of low quality when made. Put these two factors together and you have a situation where high quality specimens of these coins are few and far between. Collectors who by luck and/or hard work have acquired some of these high quality coins [raw or slabbed] are very fortunate to have them. They may reap financial reward on these coins in the future and even if they do not so reap, they will be thanked for their forsight and efforts by generations of future collectors.

Further, there a facet of collecting high quality coins from circulation for face value (or buying the same coins in the market place for little over face value) that is great fun, in many ways more fun than other aspect of the hobby.

Keep up the discussion folks.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Are there good numbers of Gem graded dimes & quarters available in the '65-'67 years since there were no MSs made?

Is there a better chance of finding early gems in rolls/bags rather than in the crappy MSs that were being offered then?

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    "Are there good numbers of Gem graded dimes & quarters available in the '65-'67 years since there were no MSs made?
    Is there a better chance of finding early gems in rolls/bags rather than in the crappy MSs that were being offered then?
    Regards, John"

John: Superb gem (MS67) quality specimens are difficult to locate - in fact, the 1965 quarter is surprisingly difficult. MS65 / MS66 are much easier to locate in rolls. Very few sealed bags exist (of any dated clad quarters throughout the entire series perhaps other than 1976 and 1998 and one or two other dates). The coins simply do not exist in fresh BU bag quantity I believe - only Mint Set coins basically.

Wondercoin

John: Superb gem (MS67) quality specimens are difficult to locate - in fact, the 1965 quarter is surprisingly difficult. MS65 / MS66 are much easier to locate in rolls. Very few sealed bags exist (of any dated clad quarters throughout the entire series perhaps other than 1976 and 1998 and one or two other dates). The coins simply do not exist in fresh BU bag quantity I believe - only Mint Set coins basically.

Thanks for the info. I have a few OBW (I believe) rolls of the early dated quarters that I haven't opened. I'm always on the lookout for them at shows, B&Ms & on ebay. The quarter's strike quality in Mint Sets, from my limited experience, seemed to make a step improvement around 1978 or so. Is this the case, or is it my imagination?
    One more question (or maybe two). Have all Mint Sets in dealer stock & at shows already been searched & re-searched, or can one still cherrypick a gem (MS-65+)? Would NGC pops give one an idea of whats scarce? Are there any books or websites on the early clads?
    Attending a small show this weekend and was wondering if it is even worth the time to search the 1968-78 sets. What about 1980 & later MSs?

I think that I could really get into collecting/saving these if there are still quantities of MS-65+ nickels, dimes, & quarters out there to be found in MSs or rolls as my coin buying funds have been very limited lately.
    The 1965-67 Washington quarters shouldn't be too hard to find . . . HERE are some good'uns! imageimage

Regards, John

<< <i>

Thanks for the info. I have a few OBW (I believe) rolls of the early dated quarters that I haven't opened. I'm always on the lookout for them at shows, B&Ms & on ebay. The quarter's strike quality in Mint Sets, from my limited experience, seemed to make a step improvement around 1978 or so. Is this the case, or is it my imagination?
    One more question (or maybe two). Have all Mint Sets in dealer stock & at shows already been searched & re-searched, or can one still cherrypick a gem (MS-65+)? Would NGC pops give one an idea of whats scarce? Are there any books or websites on the early clads?
    Attending a small show this weekend and was wondering if it is even worth the time to search the 1968-78 sets. What about 1980 & later MSs?

I think that I could really get into collecting/saving these if there are still quantities of MS-65+ nickels, dimes, & quarters out there to be found in MSs or rolls as my coin buying funds have been very limited lately.
    image >>

There have been a lot of changes in the design of the clad quarter and the overall
    quality over the years. The most dramatic was 1970 probably but there was a small
    one in '78. The '77 had a little flatter relief on the obverse and few were fully struck.

It's still a wonder how few of the mint sets are picked over. Generally the bad qual-
    ity is related to the fact that this is the way they were made. This is probably caused
    by a tendency for the sets to be simply cut up rather than searched. Mint sets at coin
    shows are much more likely to be picked over though. There are a lot of collectors who
    need some coins and might check a dealer's stock for nice ones. If a dealer sells most
    of his sets at retail then they will get picked over in time. Even here though, most buy-
    ers are looking for specific coins and won't disturb other varieties and gems.

The NGC pops do seem to have a pretty good correlation with the availability of the coins.
    I suspect the later dates might be a little underrepresented because they haven't had a
    chance to be located yet but these really are tough. Later dates are very proof like but
    they tend to have a lot of trouble with marking. Some dates are overrepresented. The
    1976 issues really are easier than most but these are heavily submitted because of the
    large number of raw coins and the activity of type collectors.

There are no books or websites to my knowledge that can give you much reliable inform-
    ation about the availability of the early gem quarters. There are a few noncomprehensive
    sources for variety information but nothing for gems.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file