Home U.S. Coin Forum

Chop Marked Trade Dollar Question...

I just won this 1876-S PCGS XF40 Trade Dollar with a single chop mark on the reverse. I paid $200 plus the juice on Teletrade. Im thinking I paid a little too much. I plan or cracking it out and puting it in my 7070 type set. I wanted a chop marked dollar for the set and this one matches my other early dollars nicely. I have been watching Trade Dollars lately and they have consitently been selling pretty high lately. My question, first is did I pay too much? Secondly, the PCGS proce guide does not have a listed price for chop marked trade dollars. Is there a premium on the chop marked dollars?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are those who seek out the chopmarked TD's.... I went after one to add to my collection. This could cause a bit of a bidding premium. What grade was your TD? Cheers, RickO
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Sorry, I forgot to add that its in a PCGS XF40 slab.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Well you didn't grossly overpay, but with some patience you could of probably done a little better. That's a nice appealing coin, however, and will look especially nice in an album. As far as the impact of chop marks on trade dollars, the general rule is they lessen the value slightly. There are some date's, however, where chop marks are so rarely found, that they would command a great premium. The '76-s, is not such a date, and chopped dollars are easily found for this date. If that coin matches the look of other dollars in your set, then I would say you did fine.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a decent price but not a bargain. Yes, there is a slight premium for chop marked TD's. I don't
    know how much one chop on the reverse might add, however. I think you will enjoy this very much and
    put it in the Dansco with the chop showing first (that just adds to the look).
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Special post mint damage for some collectors=premium.
    There is really no way of knowing when or where a chop mark was placed on a coin as such a crude method of marking is easily duplicated.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit of the value of any of these chopmarked coins is what type, where and how many marks are on the coin. At the price level you paid for this piece, which I guess is anywhere from $225-$250 with shipping and juice, you could not be hurt badly. If it matches other coins in your set then that is even better.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Thanks for the input. You know, after looking more closely at this dollar I think XF40 is a conservative grade. It looks more like XF45 to me.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a nice coin.
  • Ive seen many Trades with chops in MS60etc slabs
    how the hell can a coin be considered Mint State when it has been to the other side of the world and back with mutilation marks?
    I love Trade Dollars but I never could figure out the chop mark on an "uncirculated" coin.
    I am serious! and don't call me Shirley
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    That is a very attractive coin. I have not looked for Trade Dollars recently but to find one that has not been dipped to death is worth a premium in it's own right.

You did good and this will make a great Dansco addition. It's alway worth a small premium to find a coin with the look you want. I often pay over PCGS price guide when I find a nice original crusty piece. image
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure that you can find plenty of chopmarked Trade dollars priced for less. But that one is particularly eye-appealing in my opinion, and I would consider a very nice pick up.
    I have been watching these go down on ebay a lot lately. It seems like every one goes higher than even the PCGS price guide.

Here is an example that sold on ebay yesterday. Its does not even look like that nice of an example. It is a PCGS VF35 and it sold for $260!! Its the most common date to boot. I dont think its just me, these seem very hot right now.

1877-S Trade Dollar on ebay
  • BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking TD Joe, with the added advantage that the chop is on the reverseimage You did good, and I agree, that has to be undergraded. Nice detail, nice coin. Congratsimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Talk to TradeDollarNut he's the expert
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why 3 different bidders were willing to pay at least $250 for that '77-S. It's a coin that can be had for $200 or less. Mid level circulated coins without problems in PCGS or NGC slabs are a little tough to find...but I think those folks got a bit carried away.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    While I'm not a big fan of chopmarked coins myself, I love the overall look and color of this one.
  • Great coins here...
    -Rome is Burning

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Talk to TradeDollarNut he's the expert >>

According to another forum member, TDN is in self impossed exile. Not sure why.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file