Home Metal Detecting
Options

In Memorium

It is with great sadness that I must tell you my beloved metal detector died over the weekend. It was a wonderful detector, with a great fondness for dimes. It might not have done well locating quarters in 3 inches of fine sand, but it would howl at a dime buried 8-12 inches under the densest of dirt. Death came quickly, being snapped in two, quickly and cleanly, by the closing trunk of a car. It is survived by it's beloved owner, Mary, and her grandson Riley who enjoyed it almost as much as Mary did. <sigh>

I will wait the appropirate period of mourning before replacing it. Which really means as soon as I can afford a new one! image
Be Still and Know

Comments

• Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Grab a CZ3D they should be real cheap now since is a 2 year old detector.

After typing that I went over an looked at how much 1 was. LOL scratch that above statement, they are still pretty high.

BTW Hello marym

PURPLE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of the tragedy marym.... can you not just replace the shaft? (I am not familiar with your model). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Hiya Purple, long time no see! Been out lately?

Rick, mine was a mid range Bounty Hunter, plastic shaft. I probably could replace just the shaft, but the cost would most likely warrent a new detector. I was in need of one anyhow, I'm looking at this as a sign from the detecting gods. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Too bad Mary.....It must be a sign for you to get a new one!.....Good luck!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaryM... that is as good a reason as any I have heard... you go girl.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    wow do i know how it feels to lose my good friend. i had a whites eagle2 for many years and we shared alot of great finds together. one day it had heart failure and i was forced to move on. very tragic indeed. i mourned a few hours and brought home a whites XLT.
  • Options
    Very funny Demo lol!! I'll probably be purchasing a new one over the next few weeks as long as I can justify the expense against the rising cost of energy. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'll probably be purchasing a new one over the next few weeks as long as I can justify the expense against the rising cost of energy. image >>

Did the price of batteries go up where you live?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Grab a CZ3D they should be real cheap now since is a 2 year old detector.
    >>

I don't know about "real cheap" but I do recommend the detector as well!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a way to go.

Now get a new one. That's what Stimulus checks are for.
  • Options
    PPC, not a bad idea if this had happened 3 weeks ago! My stimulus check went towards replacing a Walmart Special bike that I purchased almost 10 years ago for $80.00. The poor thing had brakes that were constantly sticking and the gears have been frozen for 2 years now. Not in easy mode, I might add. lol
    I purchased a great new bike, from a very reputable dealer, for $300.00. As much as I hate to admit this, I do far more biking (and walking & running) than I do detecting. Please don't hate me for loving exercize! image I'll find the money for a new detector, not in the immediate future, but before the seaon is over!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    sorry to hear this, but thank god it can be replaced.

human life cannot, unless Dr Frankenstein has fired up his slab ride again image

well heres to hoping you find a bigger and better replacementimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    if the shaft broke, it should easily be replaceable. I don't remember what you have (I'll take a guess at a Garrett Ace 250?) anyway, i know Whites sells replacement shafts real cheap. If not, I'm sure if you contact the company they'll be more than willing to sell you a new one, people will do anything for money.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Hi Lamborghini! Thanks for suggestion about the shaft replacement, but mine was a rather inexpensive Bounty Hunter. I didn't check into it, but I'd guess the cost of replacement would probably not be worth the expense. It was time for me to replace this detector, but I had been putting it off for sentimental reasons. My finacee, who died in 2005, had puchased it for as a Christmas gift back in 2003. He somehow knew detecting would be a hobby I'd fall for as it combined my love of the outdoors with an equal fasination with finding coins laying on the ground. He guessed, correctly, that I'd be even more fasinated with finding coins hidden under the ground. I need to start getting serious about what I'm going to buy, probably a White's, but I need to do some research first. Mary
    Be Still and Know