Home U.S. Coin Forum

At what temperature does slab plastic melt?

Asking because I'm considering getting a fire proof box or safe. Slabs I'm referring to are the basic PCGS, NGC or ANACS slabs.

Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

-Mark Twain

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    They can distort just by leaving them in a car in the hot summer sun, so it is probaly less than 200 for distortion. Melting to liquid is probably in the 500 degree and above range.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

if it doesn't burst into flames first!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slabs will melt long before the safe reaches or exceeds it's rated temperature. Cheers, RickO
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: If the plastic melts, partially or completely, will the coin be damaged within the slab?

In other words, can plastic, when melted, adhere to the metallic coin?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • According to an article by Scott Travers most coin holders will melt at just a few hundred degrees and Saflips melt at 480º. He also says safes designed for computer supplies such as floppy disks offer the best protection for slabs in a fire. Such safes are UL rated 125 so the temperature inside won't go above 125º in the case of a fire, your slabs should be fine.

Link
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Most fire proof safes are bad for storing coins. There is no moisture control and the material used to retard the fire has moisture in it which can damage your coins.

i.e. damage your coins well before any fire happens. The irony. image

As FLBuff stated the safes designed for computer stuff are the best for coins. Also jewlers safes but they cost a pretty penny.
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They can distort just by leaving them in a car in the hot summer sun, so it is probaly less than 200 for distortion. Melting to liquid is probably in the 500 degree and above range. >>

image I had some slabs warp pretty bad when I forgot them in the car a couple of July's ago. The warping was bad enough as the inner seal did melt around and adheared to the edge of the coin and was a bugger to crack those coins out.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if the slabs would really melt or not; they may soften and char. It depends if they are thermoplastic or thermosetting. Someone with some cracked ones left over may want to try and see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file