Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

NEG-Happy Bidders Are Having A Field Day

EBAY is slowly starting to NARU the FB-bombers, but LOTS of sellers will be dead first.

Psychotic Behavior

Looks like this guy may just be trying to murder his competition.

Card sellers are vulnerable to the same tactics.
Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest fear is coming across a bidder like this. Small time sellers like me are going to be at the mercy of these guys. I've been on ebay since 1998 with only 1 neg (from a seller who didn't ship) and it could all go down because of clowns like this.
    Mike
  • Options
    I like the timeline for when the buyer started leaving negatives. image Coincedence? Hmmm....

Ebay messed this whole thing up worse than it was before. It should have been left alone, so sellers at least had one bullet of defense in their gun(ability to leave neg feedback). At least that helped alot of sellers spot the bad/flaky buyers a bit easier.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    He seems to get taken by the fake 14Kt gold scam a lot. Definitely seems like it's on of the jewelry guys trying to make the competition look bad.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to understand the logic of the new feedback rule. I know that negative feedback was discouraged because of the threat of a return neg, but this policy seems like laziness on ebay's part. The real solution is beefing up the customer service or develop a smarter feedback removal policy. Instead they took the lazy way out and shifted all of the power to the buyers.

Like I said, ebay wants to remove the small time sellers because they don't make enough money on us. Only sellers with thousands of sales per month can weather a clown like the neg happy bidder.

I predict that ebay will be offering a "premium" membership with a monthly fee that will allow sellers to leave neg feedback.
    Mike
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    The sellers will have to use the only weapon they have left. Give a Positive Feedback such as this. "NEGATIVE FEEDBACK: Buyer did this and that etc". and Sellers will also have to monitor their auctions more carefully to see if bidders have a penchant for leaving NEGS/Neuts by hitting the "Feedback left for others" bar.
  • Options
    Like I said, ebay wants to remove the small time sellers because they don't make enough money on us.

Actually the last report I saw showed that the small non-power seller made up about 65% of their revenue.. Not sure how true that is, but I know there are far more non-power seller sellers out there than power sellers, BUT these sellers are the most likely to skip out on paying Ebay so that may be their biggest concern.
  • Options

<< <i>The sellers will have to use the only weapon they have left. Give a Positive Feedback such as this. "NEGATIVE FEEDBACK: Buyer did this and that etc". and Sellers will also have to monitor their auctions more carefully to see if bidders have a penchant for leaving NEGS/Neuts by hitting the "Feedback left for others" bar. >>

Ebay is removing feedback that is in a negative nature. Too many removals and Ebay will suspend the seller.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The sellers will have to use the only weapon they have left. Give a Positive Feedback such as this. "NEGATIVE FEEDBACK: Buyer did this and that etc". and Sellers will also have to monitor their auctions more carefully to see if bidders have a penchant for leaving NEGS/Neuts by hitting the "Feedback left for others" bar. >>

Ebay is removing feedback that is in a negative nature. Too many removals and Ebay will suspend the seller. >>

Did not know that, but if that's the case I would rather go out swinging.
  • Options
    You either are going to have to adjust or die. So far even my problem customers have been leaving positives like the one who said shipping was extrememly slow but had item in 3 days after payment.
  • Options
    How about this for Feedback.
    "ATTENTION ALL SELLERS SEE FEEDBACK LEFT FOR OTHERS FOR THIS EBAYER"
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Let the system play itself out for a few months. I have actually seen an increase in shipping speed since the new changes which is a good thing!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Did not know that, but if that's the case I would rather go out swinging. "

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I prefer making money to speaking my mind.

EBAY is even removing this kind of stuff:

On the FB line: " Good EBAYer...."

On the comments line below: "....for your BBL."

I knew this would cause chaos, and mass defections away from EBAY.
    BUT, I grossly underestimated the number of sellers who were TOTALLY
    clueless about the "changes".... until they had their FB destroyed.

In a couple of months, BUY.com and their ilk may be the ONLY gangs left on EBAY.
    Their STR is somewhere between 1% and 3%. Can you make money selling 1%
    of the items you list? (buy likely pays NO listing fees). Burbank is being positioned
    to make up for the retreating card sellers.

If you backout the BIG listing padders - BUY/etc - listings are down about 3-million
    from where they should be. The little people are no longer playing like they did.

Donahoe is an advocate of "disruptive innovation." He's got the first word going on.

My EBAY short position is still looking beautiful.

• Options
    I say let the crybaby sellers leave.. My sales are steadily getting better and better since the changes.
  • Options
    Well, I will say that my "cry baby rump" will be doing less and less on Ebay. I have worked hard to achieve 100% feedback over the last 6 years, but I guess it's for nothing. I have went the extra mile and even ate costs at times to keep 100%.

I do not really need Ebay funds to make a living, nor the extra bull. I made up my mind when my current auctions end, I am more than likely done selling, unless Ebay makes some changes so sellers can defend themselves a bit better. With the new system, all it takes is a manipulative buyer to use the feedback for their advantage. I don't need to be blackmaled into anything.

I have a current buyer who has not paid, and the auction ended 7 days ago. I emailed him to ask when he planned to pay, and all he said was sorry about that. Still, he will not say when he will be paying. He claims he will pay when he can, so I guess I am suppose to wait forever??. Ho hum...

If this was the old system, I would be filing non-paying bidder, and leaving neg feedback for jerking me around, so I would not have to mess with him anymore. Now, if I file npb, I can risk receiving a neg in which I cannot respond to. Not worth the bull anymore.
  • Options
    Grow a set and file the UPI. If he gets suspended any feedback he leaves will get removed. I was to by my PS rep the other day that it is now 2 strikes on UPIs and there are no appeals unless the buyer can PROVE payment through Paypal. I filed 3 this morning. 9 out of 10 non-payers do not leave feedback anyway, many actually leave positives. I have 4 positives that were removed because the buyer never responded to the UPI.

That is the biggest problem with the new system sellers are too scared to take a stand against the possible scammers, which is what Ebay is counting on less UPIs filed equals more fees for them.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I will say that my "cry baby rump" will be doing less and less on Ebay. I have worked hard to achieve 100% feedback over the last 6 years, but I guess it's for nothing. I have went the extra mile and even ate costs at times to keep 100%.

I do not really need Ebay funds to make a living, nor the extra bull. I made up my mind when my current auctions end, I am more than likely done selling, unless Ebay makes some changes so sellers can defend themselves a bit better. With the new system, all it takes is a manipulative buyer to use the feedback for their advantage. I don't need to be blackmaled into anything.

I have a current buyer who has not paid, and the auction ended 7 days ago. I emailed him to ask when he planned to pay, and all he said was sorry about that. Still, he will not say when he will be paying. He claims he will pay when he can, so I guess I am suppose to wait forever??. Ho hum...

If this was the old system, I would be filing non-paying bidder, and leaving neg feedback for jerking me around, so I would not have to mess with him anymore. Now, if I file npb, I can risk receiving a neg in which I cannot respond to. Not worth the bull anymore. >>

I've filed 3 non payed items on buyers since the changes and will be filing another monday..I'm not too worried about it. I've kept everything the same as before the big changes and sales do seem to be a tad better..
  • Options
    Its sellers that have spent years bending to the whim of scammers to protect their precious 100% that are causing many of the problems on Ebay now. Buyers have been dealing with these push-overs and now expect every seller to be just as spineless.
  • Options
    I have a set, plenty big, trust me. I just don't want the bull in trying to clear it up with Ebay anymore. It's just a frustrating process that I simply don't want to mess with. Ebay don't need me, and I really don't need them is how I look at it.

I have spoke with alot of local guys at shows, and they have repeated my feelings for the most part. I know alot of guys around here are just mainly going to use the shows to sell, and browse Ebay for purchases. If this trend spreads, I have a feeling that there will be less and less selection of good stuff on Ebay.

In a nut shell, I am making a personal transition from a buyer/seller, to just mainly a part time buyer.
  • Options

<< <i>Its sellers that have spent years bending to the whim of scammers to protect their precious 100% that are causing many of the problems on Ebay now. Buyers have been dealing with these push-overs and now expect every seller to be just as spineless. >>

Think what you want, I take pride in 100% positive service for 6 years. Thanks for your incorrect assumptions, because your statement is not the case for all of us who have sold.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm a fairly new ebay buyer of cards (since Feb.), and I haven't left a neg. I've had instances when a seller took 10+days to ship after getting payment and I just leave a generic positive w/ 3 stars for the shipping thingy. I just got a card that took two weeks to get here and was mis-represented (1/4" surface crease, after I emailed asking if there were any) and I still left a positive with 3 stars for the description and shipping thingys, even though there was no chance of retaliation. If you read my feedback left for others some extoll the virtues of great transactions, a few say simply "thanks" or "nice card". About 50% of the sellers I've dealt with after the changes haven't left me feedback(after I've left a pos.) 30% have left feedback first ,and the other 20% leave FB after I do.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I left a neg a few years back...

But only because the seller lossed the POS/NEG coin toss.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If Burbank is doing anything they:

better start adding some Pics then.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    If I don't get paid or hear from a buyer within 7 days I file.

That usually gets their attention.

I have had to do it 2x since the change and I have yet to
    get a negative for my troubles. 95% of my buyers pay within
    3 days, many that day.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I suppose we are soon to see the end of perfect feedback for sellers.

Then they better start adding some Pics then.

Steve >>

I would imagine the 100% pos. FB sellers will be tough to come by, There are enough jerks on ebay to make sure of that. I'm certain some bad and half arsed sellers are getting what they have coming and then some. A neg. from a good buyer now means much less than it did before, too many people will be "crying wolf". As far as adding pics, I don't get your point.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if a dirtbag buyer screws with you, you can always remind him by e-mail, that you have his address and will give him a beat down if he doesn't retract. That, or the 3am phone calls may be effective weapons, too. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Fatty I was talking about Burbank, they have 1000's of items listed and many have no pic.

You happened to see my post where i pasted the wrong thing.

an old text was pasted,

understand?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Fatty I was talking about Burbank, they have 1000's of items listed and many have no pic.

You happened to see my post where i pasted the wrong thing.

an old text was pasted,

understand?

Steve >>

I do now.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    ebay has handled this whole retalitory feedback issue poorly. they could have simply advised members to have a seperate account for buying and 1 for selling. this way no buyer would care about the feedback since it only comes into play when selling. this would have solved the problem and still left the sellers feeling that they could defend themselves for the most part. right now, sellers are completely defenseless.
  • Options
    ebay has handled this whole retalitory feedback issue poorly. they could have simply advised members to have a seperate account for buying and 1 for selling. this way no buyer would care about the feedback since it only comes into play when selling. this would have solved the problem and still left the sellers feeling that they could defend themselves for the most part. right now, sellers are completely defenseless.

That makes sense to you and me, but there are many buyers who care just as much, if not more, about their FB than sellers do, strangely enough.

I like the fact that the dirtbag sellers no longer have the FB retaliation weapon at their disposal, as many shady sellers used this tool to silence buyers with legitimate complaints. Unfortunately, the honest sellers pay the price because there are many buyers who are just as shady.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Important to note:

There is no longer ANY means by which a NEG/NEUT can be retracted or withdrawn.

Neutrals have the effect of NEGs on FB %.

Sellers who fall below 95% CAN be suspended; they WILL have their PayPal funds held;
    they WILL be on the last page of search; they WILL lose their FVF discounts.

Sellers who sell only a few items per month - less than 21 - need ONLY ONE NEG/NEUT
    to suffer immediate sanctions by EBAY/PayPal.

Sellers receiving less than 4.5 DSRs, WILL also suffer all of the above sanctions.

The timing of Burbank's arrival is no accident. They will assure that at least SOME
    cards are for sale on EBAY; might not be what buyers are looking for, but they
    will at least be "cards."

BUY.com will eventually be the ONLY meaningful vendor of fashion/electronics.
    They can live with a 1% sell-through, as long as they pay no listing fees. EBAY
    has now launched its war against AMZN, and the small sellers are cannon fodder.

And, NO; I am NEVER going to pull out, as long as I can make money.

• Options
    What ebay needs, too, is some stiff competition. No other auction site ever made a serious run at ebay, and that's a shame.

• Options
    "That makes sense to you and I, but there are many buyers who care just as much,
    if not more, about their FB than sellers do, strangely enough. "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Buyers FB - as long as it was not less than ZERO - has always been irrelevant.

Now, buyer FB is TOTALLY meaningless, even as a fantasy merit-badge. The best
    buyers will have 100%, and the worst scamsters will have 100%.

• Options
    sellers are completely defenseless.

Some sellers like Jason Duncan of Vintage*investments simply buys from the person that negged him
    then negs the guy back. If you neg someone and do not have a different account it is best to block the guy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[
    That makes sense to you and me, but there are many buyers who care just as much, if not more, about their FB than sellers do, strangely enough.
    >>

this is indeed true, i don't understand why buyers give a crap about their feedback.. seriously, i dont give a crap about feedback on my buying account, but i have 100%.. i really dont care if sellers leave me feedback at all, i dont even check to see who left feedback or not..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I think feedback is now nothing more than a guage of one's courtesy.
  • Options
    Major hoot:

Posted by a seller.....

Listen very carefully. I am the winner of this item. I have 4 other eBay Users in place either bidding on or have won items from you plus myself totaling 5. We are prepared to leave you 5 Positive Feedbacks or 5 Negative Feedbacks depending on your actions. In a nutshell, we are in the business of selling Positive Feedbacks to eBay Sellers for $20 each, totaling $100 for 5 Positive Feedbacks. If you purchase the 5 Positive Feedbacks for $100, you not only get to sell your items, you also receive 5 Positive Feedbacks. As you well know, Feedback is EVERYTHING to an eBay seller on whether they are successful or not. I’m sure that you want to remain successful in your eBay business. Plus, along with the 5 Positive Feedbacks, we will also Guarantee Never to contact you again and we take you off of our list. You’ll even get a receipt for your purchase. Now, here’s the important part. If you refuse to purchase the 5 Positive Feedbacks, we will leave you 5 Negative Feedbacks for starters. We have 100’s & 100’s of eBay Users in place that we can use to leave feedbacks. In fact, we have enough to consistently leave you Negative Feedbacks for months resulting in you having to shut down your business. The absolute worst thing that you can do at this point is to try and contact eBay at any time about this or refuse to cooperate; we Will start leaving you Negative Feedbacks and shut your business down. Make no mistake, we’ve been doing this for years and have the power & resources to continually leave you Negative Feedbacks resulting in the closing of your business. Think about this, if you try to report us to eBay and they try and suspend our account or something like that, it will not stop us whatsoever. Remember, I said we have 100’s if not 1,000’s of eBay Users in place that we can use to leave you Negative Feedbacks over & over again until you are forced to shut your business down that you worked so hard to build up. Even if eBay were to keep suspending our user accounts, we have plenty more that we can use to keep leaving you Negative Feedbacks and there’s No way that eBay can keep up and stop us. They have tried & failed miserably. They also know about what we do. So the best and smartest thing that you can do is protect your business and just purchase the 5 Positive Feedbacks from us. That way, it’s done and over with and you can successfully continue to run your business without ever hearing from us again. We will give you up to 72 hours from now, to reply. The sooner, the better of course. Just send us an email stating that you want to purchase the 5 Positive Feedbacks from us and let us know your main email that you use so we can contact you. If we don’t hear from you by the end of the 72 hours, we will assume that you are refusing to cooperate and we will start leaving you Negative Feedbacks. So don’t do anything stupid. The smartest thing that you can do is take this seriously, we know what we’re doing. After we hear your reply to this email, we will contact you with further instructions.

The buyer is in fact the person who won my auction.

So... what would you do?

omigosh
  • Options
    That would be comical if it weren't so disturbing.

No way would I ever bargain with an extortionist, though.

Tell him to screw himself. Almost certainly he's blowing hot air, anyway. 100's and 1000's of buyers? Yeah, right.

I'd also tell him you have his contact info as a buyer and that you'll do whatever is necessary to protect your interests, and that he may not walk again when you're done with him.

Fight fire with fire. Don't back down.

This is complete insanity.

• Options
    It's a bluff, that baffoon/thief would be lucky to have 2 slackjawed half-wits helping him. It's highly unlikely a ring of scamsters would be able to pull off anything like that. He overstated his power/influence, low rent punk.
  • Options

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    If you are an occasional seller of sports items on this board you may be just as well off using the BST board. I have done this recently with good results.

Besides, it's cool to sell to fellow collectors that you would assume are going to actually enjoy the items you are selling them. Just my opinion.

Robert

• Options
    auctionbytes.com is already on the trail of the extortionist.

Too bad EBAY cannot act this fast.

Hot Of The Press
  • Options
    I am also someone who sells on and off on Ebay to fund other card purchases and who will no longer be listing on Ebay until the current feedback is changed. Selling here on the BST boards or through auction houses is a lot less of a hassle.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    WOW!

Searching eBay for Pujols Game-Used Bats and this seller came up, seller.

Look at the recent neg comment.
  • Options
    ?? what?? saying he will take it to small claims?

I don't get it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    i just had a recent screw over from a seller. i had the old switch a roo performed..i had a winning bid on a card that was pictured(which looked awsome) well by the time it got to my house in a plain envelope (that cost me $5.50)the card shifted in the mail, must have been the super sonic flight to ohio. was perfect centered on ebay screen and then when it got to my house man it is now like a 10-90(anyway you get the idea)..

anyway i emailed the seller to see if he had any idea what happened to the card i bought because i surely did not pay premium price for a crap card.. well anyway he still has not responded..you know i really wanted to give him the chance to make it right but it does not seem as if he cares.. don
  • Options
    "anyway i emailed the seller to see if he had any idea what happened to the card i bought because i surely did not pay premium price for a crap card.. well anyway he still has not responded..you know i really wanted to give him the chance to make it right but it does not seem as if he cares.. don "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If such a seller refuses to solve the problem, he should be NEGd.

THAT kind of conduct is what NEGs are meant for.

IF he solves the problem, he should get a POS or no FB at all; buyer's option.

In general, sellers who solve problems deserve POS FB.
  • Options

<< <i>?? what?? saying he will take it to small claims?

I don't get it.

Steve >>

The buyer is talking about taking the seller to court. However under Ebay rules that neg can still be removed.
  • Options
    "...However under Ebay rules that neg can still be removed. "

///////////////////////////////

Because of litigation reference?
  • Options
    Yup..
  • Options
    Actually looking at it now thwey may have taken that option out of the reasons. Last week when I looked at it it said refering to law enforcement or proceedings that may be involved.