Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Set collectors- Show off your labor of love

A board member asked me to send him scans of my 86-87 Fleer basketball set, so I thought a thread for people to show off their complete sets would be fun. Let me start by saying that I don't collect graded cards. I may buy graded, but I crack them out of the slabs if they are going to end up in my personal collection. I know I'm giving away value, but I have no intention of selling anything once it's collection-worthy, so I figure I might as well display the cards the way I want to.

This is a set I've always wanted to complete, and did once before in the 90s but was forced to sell it after getting out of college because I was broke. Luckily I am no longer broke so I decided to put together a nice mint looking raw set. I've been buying lots and complete sets of this stuff for about 6 months and harvesting them for mint looking cards. The trick for me was I wanted to be able to profit off all the PSA 10s and low pop PSA 9s as a way to offset my costs. I got lucky with a 500 card lot of commons I bought that graded out very well and when all was said and done, ended up breaking about even with everything and have this set to show for my efforts. The Jordan was in a PSA 8 slab, but I think it presents like a mint card. A little OC but otherwise very sharp. The Malone is the only card that's been in my collection since the 80s, and even though it's OC and has a touched corner I'm not replacing it. The set as a whole is not perfect by anyone's standards, but an upgrade would mean all hi end PSA 9 and PSA 10 quality cards, which would end up costing about 2.5 times what this one does. I've got other stuff to spend that money on.

So what sets have you guys been collecting?

Comments

• Options
    Check my sig line and my photobucket link. I've been working on the 2000 CE Supreme set on and off since they came out.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As most of you know my love of Vintage Football runs deep but the 1952 Bowman Large set is by far my favorite! Here are most of my cards I got so far, I like to collect all my cards in PSA 7 as nicely centered as I can but sometimes that is not possible with this set. I cant say Im "Officially" putting this set together at this point because in PSA 7 I dont have the cash to do so let alone some of these cards just are not available.

Anyways, here ya go...

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Sooner- I haven't jumped into any of those threads but I've been keeping up with them. It's amazing how some random modern set can grab hold of you and you just gotta get everything. They're actually really nice looking cards and I can see why you like all of the inserts so much. As a whole very visually appealing. I'm doing something similar with all of the 1993 Select baseball Dufex insert sets (there are way more than you think)- I just always thought they were cool looking and even though most are inexpensive they are a beyotch to track down. I'm looking forward to seeing your complete 2000 CE Supreme master set when it's done.

Perk- Congrats on finally getting a nice Gifford. Looks like you've got a lot of the big dogs out of the way.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started working on a 63F BB set in PSA 8 in Jan of 2004.

I'm at 67%.

Here's the SET. I liked the old registry better for looking at the cards.

I've never completed a graded set - this will be the first - and the T3 will take some time.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a good looking set Lee and I agree - unless one has plenty of dough laying around - a graded 9-10 is kind of expensive.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.......I haven't jumped into any of those threads but I've been keeping up with them....... >>

You do not keep up with them, you mock them. This is what you do:

KABLAMMMMMMM!!!!!

• Options
    Stone, I'm with you. I like the small sets because they seem attainable. The 63 Fleer is definitely cool- has most of the big names, and since it's only 66 cards, not really that many commons. I remember when I collected Yaz as a kid I would've traded most of my collection for that card in decent shape.

I'm put off by large Topps sets because say I want to do a '60 set in NM, I've gotta drop big money on like 3 different Mantles and a boatload of random low pop commons and high numbers of guys I've never heard of. By the time I'm halfway there, I'm ten grand in the hole and no end in sight. Keep it small I say. That's why I like a lot of the vintage basketball sets- small, manageable and not a ton of commons. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful Clemente by the way.
  • Options
    Sweet set nam. That 200x UD set is a blazer!
  • Options
    Bump. Come on people, stop being lazy and scan your damn cards.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    No time today. Gotta' go to some stupid 4 your olds birthday party. 90+ degrees today, outside party, no beer, only snacks to eat, 1.5 hour drive, and I gotta' make the Cotton Candyimage
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    That's why they invented the flask.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    This is the first graded set that I am trying to build. I want it in SGC, and I am trying to resist the urge to buy PSA and then crossover...but for some I had to give in. Here are the key cards:

• Options
    Wow, tough to get those early Bowman centered well. Many of those are 50/50 all around. Did you have to pay a premium for the centered cards?
  • Options
    What is this, the new "I care" version of Lee?
  • Options
    I'm bored and want to look at some cards. Also looking for ideas on my next set to collect. I've seem to hit a brick wall.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Great thread idea, Lee.

Good to see what others are working on.

Almost all of my purchasing is former LSU players, and Ben Sheets' stuff...

But, I am working on 1975 Topps baseball About 50 cards away!

I also just started on 2006 Upper Deck. A massive 1250 card, set with great full bleed photos. My laptop that has all of my scanned stuff on it is at HP getting repaired, so here's a look:

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Slowly, very slowly, working on 59 Topps:
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I am slowly making progress on this. Here are the highest graded I have.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, tough to get those early Bowman centered well. Many of those are 50/50 all around. Did you have to pay a premium for the centered cards? >>

Lee,

Yes, many I had to pay a premium for like the Luckman.....I did get lucky on some though too, and didn't.
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Great stuff, perk and Ryan -- I'm a big fan of both of those sets.

Here are some scans of another favorite set:

Doug
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I finished this set 3 months back via BVG. This is something I would never sell unless i was terminally ill so I figured why not grade them in the slabs that I like for display.
    1961 Fleer Basketball

I have a whole raw set of these that should grade out awesome. I've only graded the stars with SGC so far:
    1938 Churchman Boxing

On the PSA front, I'm just above 25% on my 57 Topps Football set. I'm doing all PSA 7's with a few scattered 8's to offset the murder that will be inflicted to my set rating by the checklist.

I'm also done with a PSA Yaz set that needs upgrading on 4 cards and my Carlton Fisk PSA set is over 65% with a rating over 9.4. Hopefully will be done soon.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'm always working on a few sets, either the last few cards or upgrading.
    Here's a few of them
    '06 Fan Craze NL

imageimageimageimage

'15 Cracker Jack

imageimageimageimage

'41 Goudey

imageimageimageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Griffins, that Smokey Joe Wood Cracker JAck card should have been in the old Cards that Make You Say WOW thread - WOW, beautiful piece.
  • Options
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my favorite set. Starting with the boy, youngest to oldest image

• Options
    image Awesome stuff guys!

Matt, you got some beautifull children! image
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's parts of 2 of my favorite sets. I opened this thread hoping to see a picture of Pamela Anderson. Another one of my favorite sets. image

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Great sets posted so far. Besides baseball, I collect sets that depict the music groups from the 1960s and 1970s with a focus on the British invasion bands. Here are some examples:

1964 Topps Beatles color set:

imageimageimageimage

imageimageimage

1964 AB&C Rolling Stones

imageimageimage

1964 Mister Softee Top 10 set

imageimage

1965 Mister Softee Top Ten set

imageimage

1967 Lord Neilson's set

imageimage
    imageimage

1968 Lord Neilson's set

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

1969 Lord Neilson's set

imageimage

imageimage

1970 Tonibell

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

1975 Lyon's Maid

imageimage

• Options
    packman- groovy cards. I didn't know most of them existed. Simon and Garfunkel are scary.
  • Options
    Doug-Love them chicles!

If money was not an issue....that would be the set for me!
  • Options

<< <i>Doug-Love them chicles!

If money was not an issue....that would be the set for me! >>

If Money wasnt the issue EVERY set would be for you Ryan! Those Chicles do look nice, hopefully sometime I can add a Chicle or two to our Football thread!

Great thread BTW!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Doug-Love them chicles!

If money was not an issue....that would be the set for me! >>

If Money wasnt the issue EVERY set would be for you Ryan! Those Chicles do look nice, hopefully sometime I can add a Chicle or two to our Football thread!

Great thread BTW! >>

Paul-Are you implying that I am a vintage football card HO?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Packman, Those are some great sets. I have never seen some of them before. Every time I see a set I haven't seen I say to myself, "I gotta start that set!" I hate this hobby!.

Great cards guys, keep em coming.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Wow, unbelievable sets guys. Those Cracker Jack cards are the finest I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's parts of 2 of my favorite sets. I opened this thread hoping to see a picture of Pamela Anderson. Another one of my favorite sets. image >>

And speaking of which, I should be able to put together a "set" from an unopened box of the Babewatch show I bought last year in an antique mall...

• Options
    40 years of topps designs

• Options
    Hoof, I believe that scan is photoshopped. There's no way $1.99 US every equaled $2.80 Canadian.
  • Options
    hofautos that is a SWEEEEET display!!!
  • Options
    lawnmowerman...

watch out for that one with the freckles...she is going to be a wild one!

Seriously, cute pics....

• Options

<< <i>hofautos that is a SWEEEEET display!!! >>

Thanks - i have a few updates to make to it for ones i have replaced...i also have to scan my donruss reprint autos next...
    I would trade it for the cracker jack set though...(LOL)
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I started with a raw Warren Spahn (oddly enough I have no scan of it) and haven't looked back. I'm going to eventually have them all in sgc slabs here's what been scanned:

• Options
    fattymacs, I know Ive commented before on those '51's of yours but Im going to say it again- great looking cards! I think it is kinda cool to have a item from the Lionel Carter collection too! I read a little about him and he was one of the first "real" collectors!

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    perkdog - there was a bunch of his 51 Bowmans on ebay a few weeks ago, I bid on most of them only winning that one. I wanted atleast one ,I'm going for the 4-6 grade range (on pre-graded stuff), but I made an exception.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>40 years of topps designs

image >>

HOF - Honestly, I don't know what half the stuff you post is because its mostly modern and baseball... but those are just downright sweet!

Doug - I was just waiting for you to break out those glorious Chicles! You have some beautiful mid-grade (high-grade for these) examples that put mine to absolute shame. I don't even want to know what that Bronk ran you!

Nam - Not football, but I have to admit those T218s are pretty freakin' cool.

No love for the 1948 Leafs... but they just had their own thread not so long ago, so I guess I can let it slide.

Snorto~

• Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Great stuff, everyone. The '51 Bowman baseball, Beatles and Rolling Stone stuff really caught my attention!

Thanks Snorto -- I started my Chicle set with 3's and 4's, and have slowly upgraded many to 5-7. I'd like to get the whole set to EX, but we'll see...Fortunately, I don't know exactly what the Nagurski cost me either. I got it as part of a complete set, and sold off the majority of my duplicates.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Hoof, I believe that scan is photoshopped. There's no way $1.99 US every equaled $2.80 Canadian. >>

That's straight from the scanner to you!

Looks like I'm going to have to scan some small sets and display them here. I must have something I could share. It sure wouldn't be as nice as some of these awesome vintage sets.

Thanks for taking the time everyone to share these cards. Like it's been said before, this is the first time I've seen a lot of these -- and maybe the last!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>40 years of topps designs

>>

HOF - Honestly, I don't know what half the stuff you post is because its mostly modern and baseball... but those are just downright sweet!

Snorto~ >>

THanks...i do have a little vintage too, but I would rather concentrate on the rare modern cards now before they dry up....most of the modern cards in my PC are numbered to 100 or less, and the common 80s 90s stuff i search hard for PSA/DNA with "nice crisp autos in fine sharpie if possible"...

Here's about half my donruss reprint/recollection autos (all numbered to 100 or less).

The one thing about postwar vintage is that most of the cards that I (personallly) would want, are readily available at any time....
  • Options
    1995 Post -- I love the photography of this postcard-sized set of 16...

• Options
    Nice 1995 Posts Hoof. Very clean airbrushing on all the fronts of the uniforms.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    imageimage

Just some of my favorites from this set, that will take me the next five years to get done!!