Home Metal Detecting
Options

Vermont Finds......

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had to go to Vermont about a month ago on Business. I was there for 3 weeks. I took my detector along and managed to find quite a bit of stuff. The first photo is more modern stuff that I found hitting old schools and parks. The ugly green discs at the top are Indian Heads. The large coin is an 1890 Canadian large cent.

The next group of finds all came from a cellar hole that I found out in the woods. I asked some guys I was working with if they ever run across old stone line foundations out in the woods while deer hunting. One of them gave me a lead on the site I found all of this stuff at. I had to hike in about a mile to find it. All of this stuff came in about 6 hours of hunting. Nearest I can tell based on the finds it was abandoned around 1830 or 40.

Photo1 is the buttons I found...The large ones are about the size of a half dollar.

Photo2 is coins I found...2 connecticut coppers 1 Large cent and 2 unidentifiable coppers.

Photo 3 and 4 is a better photo of the better Connecticut I found.

And the last photo is misc. finds. Check out the nice crude pewter spoon.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    well hot dog!...thats some nice diggins fer sure!.....love them conn coppers, hope you can get out and find some more...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    WoW..Good thing you took your finding stick with you. image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Wow! Impressive.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Very cool finds! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super finds... very cool... those old foundations in the woods are quite common in the Northeast... very productive too. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason to take your detector with you when you travel.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I can see I DID miss some excitement while I was gone!

I'd have been over the moon with a CT copper! Awesome!

You gotta love them big flat buttons, too. Any time those big 'uns come up, you know the big copper coins are nearby, too. The flat buttons were really big in the late 1700s and got smaller later.

One time, back in '95 or so, at a Rev War era shipyard site down here, I found one, and my heart stopped, because I thought I had my first large cent. But then I saw the shank on the back.

Then, about ten feet away, a similar signal at nine inches deep produced what I thought was an identical button. But no shank.

It was my long-awaited large cent! A Draped Bust, too. You could see Liberty's hair bow and read ONE CENT on the back, sort of. It had gotten below the brackish marsh water table, though, and was pretty corroded. Sadly, I ruined it while trying to electrolysize it, so I'll never know the date. 1796-1807. That's all I know. It remains my oldest US coin find to date. (My oldest readably-dated US coin being an 1829 half dime and my oldest dated coin, period, being a 1658 Spanish 4-maravedis).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    My family has 180 acres on a mountain in southern Vermont that i have not had a chance to hunt yet. It was the site of a spring water company from the 19th century. I am looking forward to checking it out witha good detector soon. -dan
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    This is an open invitation for anyone that wants to spend a couple of days with me to hunt the site and possibly another existing homesite from the early 1800's. I can assure you that the latter has not been searched with present day metal detectors.image -Dan
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh! Ooh! I do!

(But I live too far away.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    nice finds!! image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    Holy cow...great finds! Love them colonial pieces.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Dan... maybe next year.. I will be relocating to the Catskills in NY at the end of the year... not far from southern VT....Could be a fun trip in the spring. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent find on the coppers!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could join you but my back is too bad to let me do any digging (I have a metal detector but a cheapo unit that doesn't even beep for my metal nails in the floor!). I have not been to Vermont in more then a decade now but I've been wanting to get back there again someday.

RickO, where in the Catskills are you moving to? That's a great area, I drive through it en route to Lake George mutliple times a year-very historic too, if they let you detect you'll probably find some really cool stuff! There's a lot of spots on the national and state historic register and they might not want you digging there-I don't really know.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History