Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about 707 Sports Cards and a transaction I am pondering

2»

Comments

• Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Simple, I would pass on Levi then. A 1952 Topps Mantle in ANY shape is an easy sell.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>Simple, I would pass on Levi then. A 1952 Topps Mantle in ANY shape is an easy sell. >>

You don't sell much stuff to major dealers, I take it.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I don't think any dealer would, sey hey can say what he wants but when it comes time for him
    to sell to a dealer no dealer is going to cave into his demand of paying first.

If he wants to be paid first he will become a dealer and sell it on ebay.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Clearly the first thing that needs to happen is the have him pay for the card. Levi is interested in purchasing the card CORRECT?

NEVER send a card without payment first. >>

If those are the rules, then I'm sure Levi would be more than happy to pass.

707 = known commodity
    random guy with Mantle (no offense to AnkurJ) = unknown commodity

It's not a difficult concept to understand that a company with a very well known reputation would expect to have the card in hand before sending any payment.

I'm just confused why this is even an issue. For all the time spent posting about it here, it could have been driven to Levi and sold in person...a few times over. >>

But instead, he tries to get a better offer here.

It's kinda weak (IMO) to approach a reputable and well known dealer, make a deal, and then shop his offer to others.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you read the entire thread? He made an offer, and I said I would get back to him. It was NEVER finalized!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>Did you read the entire thread? He made an offer, and I said I would get back to him. It was NEVER finalized! >>

Yes I did read the entire thread.

If it was NEVER finalized, how come you said this?

<< <i>Absoluetely! But before this thread I did not know about Levi's position in this industry. And before this I didnt feel safe sending the card. Now I do, and when I return from vacation next week, it will be sent to him. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you read the entire thread? He made an offer, and I said I would get back to him. It was NEVER finalized! >>

That "initial offer" is almost meaningless anyway. Once any dealer has the card in hand, the "firm offer" almost always goes lower, frankly because often the seller will describe their product in better terms than what it really is. This goes for baseball cards, used cars, or almost anything.
  • Options
    He was sent scans, so he knows exactly what the card is. And I will have to call him agsin when I getback to see if the same offer is available.

My questions have been answered, so I will end the thread here. Anyone else feel like adding sarcastic comments can knock themselves out.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would like to add a sarcastic comment but I can't think of a good one.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to add a sarcastic comment but I can't think of a good one. >>

iwdmbii
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>He was sent scans, so he knows exactly what the card is. And I will have to call him agsin when I getback to see if the same offer is available.

My questions have been answered, so I will end the thread here. Anyone else feel like adding sarcastic comments can knock themselves out. >>

Wait a second...

What happened to the "And before this I didnt feel safe sending the card. Now I do, and when I return from vacation next week, it will be sent to him."?!?!

Did you or did you not make a deal with him?

Otherwise, why else would you send him the card if the deal "was NEVER finalized!"

Think you should clarify before being classified as a renegger and welcher, IMO.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Regardless of who the dealer is I would NEVER ship the card without the funds in my hands first. What happens if the card is lost in transit, or damaged? In my experience it's always better to be safe than sorry. "

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

NO dealer is going to send funds to a stranger, BEFORE the card is
    in the dealer's hands.

NEVER happens.

The exception would be an EBAY purchase by a dealer from a
    consumer-lister.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    That "initial offer" is almost meaningless anyway. Once any dealer has the card in hand, the "firm offer" almost always goes lower, frankly because often the seller will describe their product in better terms than what it really is. This goes for baseball cards, used cars, or almost anything.

I agree with you Stevek, why anyone would let a dealer hold all the cards and potentially change his buying price after the fact is mind boggling. It's not like your consigning the card to an auction house where the final price has yet to be realized. SIMPLE- Levi made a FIRM price to buy, hold him to that FIRM price, and send the card once the card has been paid for.
  • Options
    SIMPLE- Levi made a FIRM price to buy, hold him to that FIRM price, and send the card once the card has been paid for.

Look at it from the dealers point of view. You are a national advertiser to buy cards you probaly get many many inquiries a day. I would imagine alot of those are scam attempts. What is going to happen if he sends you the money and the seller disappears. NO NATIONAL DEALER IS GOING TO SEND MONEY FIRST to someone they have never dealt with before.. PERIOD..

If Levi disappears with the card he is putting his very good reputation on the line. I don't see that happening. If I were to contact Steve Hart today and tell him I have an unopened box of 1954 Topps do you think he is going to send me the money first? Do you think Mr Mint would send me the money first. Nope not gonna happen
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then to the OP...then just drive the two hours and you won't have to worry about any of this. I'd drive two hours one way to pickup a quick thou or two, or whatever the offer might be. If you can't get together with Levi on the final price, at the least you can stop somewhere in the area and get yourself a good Philly cheesesteak - that's always worth the ride. image
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    stown you are being way to harsh in the case, it's his card he can sell it to whomever he wants. Just because a dealer makes an offer doesn't mean he has to take it. I am sure Levi isn't losing any sleep over this card.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    You could always use third party escrow type services.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    i would have no problem with sending levi a $20,000 card up front. no hesitation at all. just be sure its insured thru the post office in case they lose it. registered may be a good idea.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>stown you are being way to harsh in the case, it's his card he can sell it to whomever he wants. Just because a dealer makes an offer doesn't mean he has to take it. I am sure Levi isn't losing any sleep over this card. >>

This is prolly the only time I will agree with Stown being a little to harsh. A "Deal is a deal" but as far as Im concerned the deal is up in the air- Levi wants to see the card first and upon his inspection he might decline or say he "cant pay this amount but I can do this"

Not to mention Levi already has about 50+ of these in stock so your right I dont think he is losing any sleep!

• Options
    "You can buy this one for $3250. Makes mine look like a pretty good deal if you ask me"

honestly, i think it's a great card to have, but I'd splurge for one that didnt look like ass. even if it meant waiting years to buy it.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a shock that an experienced well known dealer would want to see the merchandise first prior to sending some stranger $3700. >>

The OP has not said what price Levi has agreed to pay. With the OP mentioning in this thread that anyone of us can have it for $3,700 I am guessing that Levi's offer is significantly lower than $3,700. Perhaps starting with the number 2.
  • Options
    The only number 2 I see here is you nam.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I drove 2 hours yesterday for a steak sandwich... what the hells a cheese steak??? image

And I agree that Levi probably doesn't give a rats ass whether he ever sees that card or not.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i would have no problem with sending levi a $20,000 card up front. no hesitation at all. just be sure its insured thru the post office in case they lose it. registered may be a good idea. >>

The only problem I have is that I dont have a $20,000 card, other than that, I'd send it first. Though that could be the reason i dont have a $20,000 card image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>stown you are being way to harsh in the case, it's his card he can sell it to whomever he wants. Just because a dealer makes an offer doesn't mean he has to take it. I am sure Levi isn't losing any sleep over this card. >>

This is prolly the only time I will agree with Stown being a little to harsh. A "Deal is a deal" but as far as Im concerned the deal is up in the air- Levi wants to see the card first and upon his inspection he might decline or say he "cant pay this amount but I can do this"

Not to mention Levi already has about 50+ of these in stock so your right I dont think he is losing any sleep! >>

Understand y'alls point HOWEVER, the OP said he was going to send Levi the card upon his return from a vacation.

<< <i>And before this I didnt feel safe sending the card. Now I do, and when I return from vacation next week, it will be sent to him. >>

If a deal wasn't struck, why would he send the card?

If the he didn't like the price Levi was offering, why would he send the card?

If he had a better offer in hand, why would he send the card?

To me, sounds like he accepted Levi's offer and then shopped it.

Bad way to do business, IMO.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not to mention Levi already has about 50+ of these in stock so your right I dont think he is losing any sleep! >>

Understand y'alls point HOWEVER, the OP said he was going to send Levi the card upon his return from a vacation.

<< <i>And before this I didnt feel safe sending the card. Now I do, and when I return from vacation next week, it will be sent to him. >>

If a deal wasn't struck, why would he send the card?

If the he didn't like the price Levi was offering, why would he send the card?

If he had a better offer in hand, why would he send the card?

To me, sounds like he accepted Levi's offer and then shopped it.

Bad way to do business, IMO. >>

Understand all your points/questions...

To the OP- BOTTOM line I ask if you and Levi have a deal ironed out and he is awaiting arival of the card to pay you? Or is it a situation where he will give you up to X amount of dollars IF he likes the card after giving it a once over?
  • Options
    Will say it again.

He made an offer. I said ok. He said send card first. I said I would let him know.

Was a deal finalized? No.
    Is the card available? Yes
    Is there a chance someone else might buy it? Yes
    Is there a chance I send it to Levi? Yes

Right now, the card belongs to me. No one has bought it or is expecting it in the mail.

After I return from vacation, I will contact Levi again to see if his offer still stands. If it does, it will be sent to him.

That should clear things up.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    On bigger transactions, If its someone I dont know I always ask for the card first too..... or at least a few good references from collectors I know.

The risk is with Levi if he made the transaction the normal way. You have no risk.

Its only a safe business move, dont take it as an insult or risky move.

Cover yourself by sending it registered mail fully insured. And dont send it unless you have a deal finalized down to the penny. He knows what the card looks like its a low low PSA-1 he is not expecting something great.

PS. Like others have said, I cant see a dealer spending more than $2000-$2500 for that card IMO

• Options
    If you don't mind I would like to address the other debate in this discussion...driving vs mailing:

2 hours @ 60 mph = 120 miles
    120 miles @ 20 mpg = 6 gallons
    6 gallons @ $4/gallon = $24

If it's 2 hours each way, then you're looking at $48 round trip. If your car gets more than 20 mpg than you're looking at less. If the trip is more than 120 miles it's obviously going to be more.

USPS insurance at this level is $7.95 + $.95/$100 for everything over $600. Assuming it's going to be insured for $3700 (replacement value) you're looking at:

$7.95 + (.95 x (3700-600)/100) =
    $7.95 + $29.45 =
    $37.40

USPS flat rate Priority box = $9.80

$37.40 + $9.80 = $47.20

You may be able to pack it in your own box and get a cheaper Priority rate, in which case it'll be less. You may want to send faster than Priority, or send it registered in which case it will be more.

But basically you're looking at $48 vs $47.20.

Personally, I'm driving.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That "initial offer" is almost meaningless anyway. Once any dealer has the card in hand, the "firm offer" almost always goes lower, >>

Not the way Levi and Jim work. I've sold them dozens of cards over the last few years, and they have never once said anything upon receipt other than "thank you"

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    AnkurJ looks to be a good coin guy that just doesn't know who the good card guys are. If a card guy found a coin and offered it to a coin dealer the card guy would be nervous too until he checked out the coin guy.

Maybe it's different in coins but a lot of card collecting guys would consider the deal finalized at this point >>> He made an offer. I said ok.
    Sending the card and getting paid are just two guys honoring and executing the deal they made. The only catch was if Levi could be trusted.

So after posting a thread to check the guy out and getting 4 pages of positive feedback, it's kind of surprising to me that the card is being advertised for sale in the same thread started to question whether the dealer can be trusted to honor the deal.
  • Options
    The OP did not - and is not obligated to - reveal what the "offer" was.

If he wants to explore some other options, I don't see a problem with it.
    It's his card until he sells it.

There is a recognized difference - and a distinction - between these two questions:

1. "Will you marry me?"

2. "If I asked you to marry me would you say 'yes'?"

As to what a dealer would offer for a card like the subject one, I agree with
    some previous views that $2K to $2.5K is near the top range.

If a dealer is going to hold something for awhile, he wants to about double his money.
    If he is going to buy something at a show and flip it an hour later, he wants to make about $500 on a card like this.

If that card was mine, I would try EBAY for a few days before I offed it to a dealer.

• Options
    Thanks storm but I already have a wife. I'm flattered though, really I am.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you don't mind I would like to address the other debate in this discussion...driving vs mailing:

2 hours @ 60 mph = 120 miles
    120 miles @ 20 mpg = 6 gallons
    6 gallons @ $4/gallon = $24

If it's 2 hours each way, then you're looking at $48 round trip. If your car gets more than 20 mpg than you're looking at less. If the trip is more than 120 miles it's obviously going to be more.

USPS insurance at this level is $7.95 + $.95/$100 for everything over $600. Assuming it's going to be insured for $3700 (replacement value) you're looking at:

$7.95 + (.95 x (3700-600)/100) =
    $7.95 + $29.45 =
    $37.40

USPS flat rate Priority box = $9.80

$37.40 + $9.80 = $47.20

You may be able to pack it in your own box and get a cheaper Priority rate, in which case it'll be less. You may want to send faster than Priority, or send it registered in which case it will be more.

But basically you're looking at $48 vs $47.20.

Personally, I'm driving. >>

OT but when you ship something expensive you have to use registered mail.

USPS registered mail small parcel 6 ounces with 3700 insurance is under $20.

I'm still driving, not because of a lack of trust, but I want to spend a couple hours looking at great cards while I'm there.
  • Options
    I wouldnt have a problem selling the card right now, but I am leaving on vacation Sunday night. SO I will do the transaction next week. Most likely with Levi but who knows?

And with the driving, I just dont have the time with work. I worked 9-9:30 today, and its 9 to 6 tomorrow. Too tight of a schedule to do it this week, but again, possibly next week I will take the train down.

But again, that PSA 1 I posted from his site is $3200. I am asking $3600 for mine. Seems like a much better card for not much more money in my opinion.

Thanks for writing everyone, it has given me enough proof that its safe to deal with Levi without a doubt. And that was the point of this post.
    Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options

<< <i>
    OT but when you ship something expensive you have to use registered mail.

USPS registered mail small parcel 6 ounces with 3700 insurance is under $20.
    >>

I'm sorry, do you mean you SHOULD or literally MUST, because the later isn't true...especially if you're not doing a PayPal transaction.

USPS will allow you to send Priority with up to $5000 of coverage. And I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but registered mail is used with either First Class or Priority, so I guess the 6 oz rate you would be quoting is sending via First Class?
  • Options
    "USPS will allow you to send Priority with up to $5000 of coverage..."

/////////////////////////////////////////

That is my preference.

I use Sig-Con, too.

No problems, yet.
  • Options
    Jim,

I understand you are a postal worker, but I am not sure you got it correct on this one.

I just sent a $5000 item with USPS via USPS Express Mail, and insured for $5000. I had no problem with the post office doing it, and the guy got his item.

$22.90 for bagged express mail, and $14.25 for $5000 of insurance was what I was charged.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Actually all three of you are right on cost of shipping. JimQ was just trying to save you all $15-$25.
  • Options