Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about 707 Sports Cards and a transaction I am pondering

I have a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 1 that I am looking to move. He is interested in buying it, but wants me to send the card, and THEN he will send payment. I said isnt it supposed to be the other way around? That he pays me first?

He told me that he doesnt do it that way, and that if he did that, he would never get some cards from the people selling to him.

What would you do in this case? Philly is 2 hours away from me. I dont want to drive due to gas costs, but I am considering the train....

What would you do?

Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    is it worthwhile to sell on e-bay first?

he doesn't sound too interested if you ask me.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Possibly with ebay, but then with all the fees etc etc. Was hoping to avoid that, but it might be the only route.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    IMO You can Trust Levi from 707 Sports Cards to do just as he has indicated he will do. He is one of the larger dealers in Mantle Rookie Cards
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    If the price works for you, I would just mail it to him. So I guess, I would not worry.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Usually if you approach them to solicit the card for purchase you will have to send the card first to them. Most large companies that buy like that require the seller to send first.
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    I'm sure you won't have any trouble at all with Levi.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i don't think i would worry about levi sending the funds, he's a national dealer and is always at the philly show and i think the nationals. he seems reputable and is well know around the hobby. i would be more worried about the postal service. if philly is only 2 hours away i would go and do the transaction in person if only because i like the philly shows and would be a nice trip. there's a lot to see there.

good luck with it
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Well if I was the owner of that nice card I would demand payment first. Who cares if its Levi or Howard Stern.....why take the chance?

Wait for another buyer to come along, I can almost guarantee someone else will be interested.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    you can trust levi. he is a stand up guy.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    You're not going to have any problems with Levi and Jim. It's not unusual for dealers to require sellers they don't know to send the cards first- with all due respect you are unknown, and they have spent years building a solid reputation.
    I often offer cards to them before I put them on ebay. They pay quickly, don't quibble over prices, and are pleasant and professional to deal with.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You can trust him.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I feel like an echo but I agree with everybody else who said they would trust him. If you're selling it because you need the $ fast, he's a more reliable sale than you will find on ebay. You probably get a little less than if you get a good sale on ebay but the fast and reliable makes up for some of that.

I was interested for my father in law but before I spent his $ I asked and he can't swing it right now. Lots of people can't swing it right now, levi can afford it any time and from what I've heard he pays more than most dealers.

Registered mail insured for what you're selling it for is probably not that much cheaper than gas. Might be worth the drive to see his inventory. It's an eye opener for sure!
  • Options
    Seems to me, would be worth the trip, get it in hand, check out inventory, be done, two hours not a long trip.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are happy with the price, send him the card. Your money will soon follow.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...You can Trust Levi from 707 Sports Cards to do just as he has indicated he will do..."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup. There will never be a problem with him failing to follow through with his deals.

I am wondering if such a card might not also bring a good price on EBAY or the BST.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Broken record here, but I would trust him. Although his card prices may be higher than some, Levi has always given me absolutely first rate service. He's always been a pleasure to deal with.
    Brett
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Send it to them, you won't have any problems with him (or Jimmy).
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭

Kind of funny how some of you guys don't remember back to the pre-ebay, mail order days of sportscards! To think a random person could receive payment before sending a card via mail contact is pretty stupid, really.

Think about it, we all know who Levi is, yet does anyone know who you or I are? Nope. It's always the procedure for a company to receive an item and THEN send you payment. It even just makes sense.

The important thing is the shipping. Get delivery con, signature con, package VERY well and you'll be fine. But in the end, if you're that worried(and it's totally understandable) just drive the trip and have the peace of mind when you leave with a check in hand. Although, you could always ask if Levi would throw in a $20 to help with the gas image But also, you'll be saving on Ebay/Paypal fees too

• Options
    How much money are you asking for the card? Maybe someone here will buy it from you and send you the funds.

yawl cum back now...ya hear!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Post a scan. I might buy it. haha
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No dealer for any product on this green earth is gonna send payment first for something to someone they don't know.

And yes you can definitely trust 707 Sportscards.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think your getting a fair deal then I would send it to him without hesitation, he is reputable. This is coming from me, someone who does not do bussiness with him either way, but I know he wouldnt rip anyone off like that.
  • Options
    I have had the card on the BST board for the last few days. I am asking what I paid which is $3800.
    Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Send the card registered mail with a typed and signed letter laying out all of the details. He is a National dealer. chaz
  • Options
    Link to the sale page:

1952 Topps Mantle PSA1
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    My .02:

I think you are OK selling it to Levi. He has a great reputation and is well respected in the collecting community. Send to him with all the appropriate insurance, etc. and you should be OK.

Robert
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Is he going to pay the $3800? I am curious to see what the card will be priced for on his site.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    $5k?
  • Options
    $7K?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

One Billion Dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Is he going to pay the $3800? I am curious to see what the card will be priced for on his site. >>

OR anyone here can have it for $3700. Limited time offer.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I'm just guessing here, but I would be very surprised if Levi's offer started with a 3.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very respected company and people.

Plus with a name like Levi Bleam?

Ya can't go wrong.

He used to be in a British invasion band in the 60s!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    I believe you would have no problem dealing with 707!!!!
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Wow! You made a deal with a well known dealer to sell a card and your only concern when starting this thread was whether or not you could trust the dealer to do what he said he would do. The response was overwhelming that you'd have no problem getting paid if you sent the guy the card. Now you're trying to sell the card in the same thread that questioned whether or not the dealer was honorable. Do you really think anybody reading this thread would send you money when you just showed everyone how a deal you made is subject to change at your whim. What a shock that an experienced well known dealer would want to see the merchandise first prior to sending some stranger $3700.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Could you wait till there is a card show in your area that he will attend?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! You made a deal with a well known dealer to sell a card and your only concern when starting this thread was whether or not you could trust the dealer to do what he said he would do. The response was overwhelming that you'd have no problem getting paid if you sent the guy the card. Now you're trying to sell the card in the same thread that questioned whether or not the dealer was honorable. Do you really think anybody reading this thread would send you money when you just showed everyone how a deal you made is subject to change at your whim. What a shock that an experienced well known dealer would want to see the merchandise first prior to sending some stranger $3700. >>

No deal was made. I told him I will think about it and get back to him. And yes, I was concerned to send an item worth close to $4k out to someone without getting 1 cent for it first. Before the comments of people in this thread, I did not know that much about Levi or his business. Does this thread and my question make me feel more comfortable? YES.
    Do you send money to strangers EVERY time you use ebay and sometimes the BST fourm? YES. And yet you trust them right?

Would YOU ever send a high dollar card to a collector or dealer that you do not know without getting any money first? I seriously doubt it.

Were your sarcastic remarks needed? No.

Nuff Said,
    AJ
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If there was discussion on payment being sent then a deal was obviously struck. Had he agreed to send you payment in advance then this thread would not have occurred. You'd have $3700 and hopefully he would get the card he paid for. Since you brought up how Ebay transactions go I'll explain it to you. Picture a zero feedback seller offering to sell a $3700 1952 Mantle card. It's a high scam prone card and few people in their right mind would bid because there's no reason to trust the seller. Now picture a 5000 feedback seller offering to sell the same $3700 card. The winner will feel confident that when he sends money he'll get the card. See how it works. You contact a dealer out of the blue, you're unknown, and ask the guy to send you $3700. Understand now why this might not work?
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but that's about the worst condition you'll find that card in even for a 1. I know it's a Mantle rookie but that's brutal.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Sorry, but that's about the worst condition you'll find that card in even for a 1. I know it's a Mantle rookie but that's brutal. >>

You think?

You can buy this one for $3250. Makes mine look like a pretty good deal if you ask me.

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    "You contact a dealer out of the blue, you're unknown, and ask the guy to send you $3700. Understand now why this might not work?"

Absoluetely! But before this thread I did not know about Levi's position in this industry. And before this I didnt feel safe sending the card. Now I do, and when I return from vacation next week, it will be sent to him.

AJ
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Regardless of who the dealer is I would NEVER ship the card without the funds in my hands first. What happens if the card is lost in transit, or damaged? In my experience it's always better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    take the ride, sell the card in person, then add another hour and double your money in A.C.image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of who the dealer is I would NEVER ship the card without the funds in my hands first. What happens if the card is lost in transit, or damaged?

You are kidding right? Levi did not solicit Ankur, Ankur solicited Levi for one, lastly you would keep the money if it was lost or damaged in transit?

This was not an ebay type sale, the OP wants to sell to a dealer, protocol calls for the seller to ship first in this case.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    It is common knowledge that you need to send the cards to a dealer FIRST, Im pretty sure that is the protocol- I have sold cards to Mint State, Wayne Varner, Nearmint and in all three cases I sent my cards first. The Wayne Varner deal involved about 5K worth of cards- Priority Mail w/delivery conformation and insurance was the way I sent my stuff. BTW- all three deals went smoothly, the same will be with 707.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry, but that's about the worst condition you'll find that card in even for a 1. I know it's a Mantle rookie but that's brutal. >>

You think?

You can buy this one for $3250. Makes mine look like a pretty good deal if you ask me.

image >>

Ugh - good thing that card wasn't altered. LOL
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Clearly the first thing that needs to happen is the have him pay for the card. Levi is interested in purchasing the card CORRECT?

I understand dealers want to eliminate the risk by having sellers send first. I would much rather have the upper hand should for what ever reason the sale went south.

NEVER send a card without payment first.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>Clearly the first thing that needs to happen is the have him pay for the card. Levi is interested in purchasing the card CORRECT?

NEVER send a card without payment first. >>

If those are the rules, then I'm sure Levi would be more than happy to pass.

707 = known commodity
    random guy with Mantle (no offense to AnkurJ) = unknown commodity

It's not a difficult concept to understand that a company with a very well known reputation would expect to have the card in hand before sending any payment.

I'm just confused why this is even an issue. For all the time spent posting about it here, it could have been driven to Levi and sold in person...a few times over.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Clearly the first thing that needs to happen is the have him pay for the card. Levi is interested in purchasing the card CORRECT?

NEVER send a card without payment first. >>

What about the other question on keeping the money, if the card should not get there or gets damaged. Not the buyers fault. I doubt that any big time dealers operate by sending out payment first, IMO.