Options
Ultimate IKE
drei3ree
Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
I believe the 72T2 IKE is considered the King, but is there a single slabbed IKE that is considered the "Best in Show?"
Thanks, Dennis
Thanks, Dennis
0
Comments
Wondercoin
For that matter, all the top 5 registry sets have exceptionally nice, low pop coins.
To single one specific coin out though, without getting into the unique area, would be difficult. Mitch's 1976 No S certainly floats to the top with only the 2-3 known to exist and the likely hood of finding another a certain impossibility.
The name is LEE!
The 72-P Type 2 in PCGS MS66 is tough to beat (besides what Mitch has listed).
I would put a 71-D FEV in PCGS MS67 right up there (If one is ever made).
For Errors.....
In 75-76 the San Fransisco Mint had more than it's share of fantastic Ike errors:
1. An R-7 76-S Silver rotated 130 degrees counter-clockwise is known to exist
in an incredible PCGS MS68. (Found by Grand Am)
2. An R-8 76-S Silver rotated 95 degrees counter-clockwise
AND
3. An R-8 76-S Silver rotated 95 degress clockwise (Neither of these two 95 degree
Ikes are even listed in the Major Rotated Die Census)
4. A possibly unique 76-S Silver Die Trial Adjustment Strike in PCGS MS62
5. How about a 1971-S Clashed Die Talon Head UDU (Upside-Down U) in PCGS MS67?
(Pictured in this month's on-line Die Variety News on pg. 46)
Happy Hunting!
Brian
I Love
<< <i>I have not really searched .... is there a book on Ike's? Cheers, RickO >>
Unfortunately the only book I know of is the Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars (Wexler, Flynn and Crawford) from 1998. It did go into reprint last year I believe.
Your best source of information on IKE's is probably right here on the forums although the IKE Group has published some very informative articles in the Numismatist and the ANA Journals.
There is also the Proposed Grading Standard for Clashed Dies on the Coneca Website.
The Eisenhower Dollar series simply does not have any current uptodate all-in-one books available right now but I'm sure if we prodded the IKE group we could get them to maybe move in that direction since their combined knowledge is very vast.
The name is LEE!
and The Accugrade System. -Hagar '86.
This latter book is underrated as a reference.
There are several Ikes which have a claim to being "ultimate". While they might never get
the well deserved attention that previously mentioned Ikes have gotten there are some of
all denominations that just stand head and shoulders above the rest. I've seen such Ikes
of '71-S unc, '76 type I, and '78-D.
I've seen pictures of a few others. I once saw a '77 in amazing PL.
<< <i>There's also the Coneca Attribution Guide to Eisenhower Dollar Die Varieties. -Wiles '97
and The Accugrade System. -Hagar '86.
This latter book is underrated as a reference.
There are several Ikes which have a claim to being "ultimate". While they might never get
the well deserved attention that previously mentioned Ikes have gotten there are some of
all denominations that just stand head and shoulders above the rest. I've seen such Ikes
of '71-S unc, '76 type I, and '78-D.
I've seen pictures of a few others. I once saw a '77 in amazing PL. >>
The Coneca attribution Guide to Eisenhower Dollar Varieties is very difficult to locate. The only one I've seen was at the ANA Library.
The Accugrade System for Eisenhower Dollars is available from James Sego if he has any left. I got mine from him but it covers Alan interpretation of the Eisenhower dollar and how to grade them. Some informative stuff but nothing that keeps me going back to it.
The Eisenhower Dollar is a relatively untouched series that has an abundance of unattibuted DDO's, DDR's, and VAM like strikes. Off the top of my head, there are single, double and triple Talons heads, Peglegs in both design and die abrasion , Die Scratched, Die Polished, Die cracked and heavily abraded varieties. New Die varieties both obverse and reverse are out there waiting to be identified as well as other unique Eisenhower coins.
The books mentioned in this thread only begin to touch this particular series which has some amazing coins out there!
The name is LEE!
Yeah, I like Ikes too; here's one of my favorites. I know that there are a few others, but this is the only example, that I know of, that has the very visible clashed WE.
The name is LEE!
Also the 76-D Silver planchet 1 or 2 known and also the highest graded silver "D" mint silver planchet Ike in MS64 (tied with one other)
Also a really really cool Ike that was struck through a cent...in proof....along with the cent.....From the Fun 2008 Signature sale....certainly a highlight.
Ike Specialist
Finest Toned Ike I've Ever Seen, been looking since 1986
Clashed letters are rare on big dollars. The Morgan Dollars have the very well-known
"Clashed E Reverse". Now, I guess the Ike Dollar has a "Clashed WE Reverse".
A Proof Ike with a cent struck into it is amazing!
Brian
I Love
mike byer's website has a nice one:
greg
www.brunkauctions.com