Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mr. Mint

I was wondering what you guys think of Alan Rosen...I was reading a bio of Mickey Mantle, and it seemed like they had a falling out at a card show in Atlantic City...Is he good or bad for the hobby. Rosen

Seems like all about the dollars Henry lol

-Alex

Comments

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    All I know is hes rich and smart.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    And an arrogant, annoying A$$. If ANYONE had the money to start that kind of buying and selling, ANY ONE of us could be successful too. Though it helps, he is proof that you dont need people skills to be successful in this business.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Fo some reason as a kid, I got "hooked" on Al Rosen. Bought his books, and saved his auction catalogs (the old white and yellow ones, which I still have).

But most of his stuff now was obviously not mint or "gem mint". I'm glad I got out of that phase. Never bought or sold from him though, I didnt miss much.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed link for the OP.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    If you throw morals out the window, he was a great business man.

Buy low from someone who doesn't realize what they have and sell high to a knowledgeable collector.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I dont think he forced anyone to sell to him - a person should do their proper homework...

now... if he downplayed value or misled in anyway - that is an entirely different story...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wanna buy a copy machine? image
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Pretty cool article. Just from using the internet message boards as a gauge, it does appear that most of the late 20's to Mid 30's folks have left the hobby. I myself took a close to 10 year hiatus to deal with life (college, girls, marriage) but now find myself enjoying the hobby as much as I ever did.

The saddest thing for me is that set collector's have all but disappeared. Everything is all about the hits you get in a box, and not enjoying the complete package.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fixed link for the OP. >>

Thanks Nam. chaz
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    He's an idiot.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    It has always been my opinion that Al Rosen is a businessman that happens to be in the sportscard industry. He is no different than those that flip houses or buy land and develop it. He figured it out early and has become very good at it. He might not be the nicest guy around, I have never met him personally, but he is not interested in being everyone's friend. He is interested in making money. I have not problem with that. Just my opinion.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty cool article. Just from using the internet message boards as a gauge, it does appear that most of the late 20's to Mid 30's folks have left the hobby. I myself took a close to 10 year hiatus to deal with life (college, girls, marriage) but now find myself enjoying the hobby as much as I ever did.

The saddest thing for me is that set collector's have all but disappeared. Everything is all about the hits you get in a box, and not enjoying the complete package. >>

Not always the case DrJ, I'm 29 and put sets together of everything I buy that's modern and I'm putting together graded vintage sets...we're not dead yet!
  • Options

<< <i>It has always been my opinion that Al Rosen is a businessman that happens to be in the sportscard industry. He is no different than those that flip houses or buy land and develop it. He figured it out early and has become very good at it. He might not be the nicest guy around, I have never met him personally, but he is not interested in being everyone's friend. He is interested in making money. I have not problem with that. Just my opinion. >>

That is the truth, in business there are no friends. The old saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer is a very big rule in business.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Alan Rosen is a necessary part of this hobby/business. I am not defending nor trashing him. I feel sorry for him in a way because he really never gets to enjoy true collecting. It's always flip.. flip... flip... Look for the next deal. He says he collects nothing... what a shame. Maybe his joy comes from the money but I am talking about true appreciation for a beautiful card vintage or modern. Like when you take it out of your storage box and look at it and admire what a real work of art looks like. chaz
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    He buys ALOT from dealers too...and sells to other dealers, makes a few bucks, gets his name out there, hopefully finding someone that doesnt know much. Most people today think everything they own is worth a million bucks
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    If I have something to sell and he offers me the most money, it's his.

If I want to buy something and he's selling it the cheapest, he gets my money.

Easy.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    he gets love on chicago rock stations too.

the station had people calling in for a few moments & asking mr mint to ~ the value of their -ish.

he is truly old school & for that,

i give him my props.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>If I have something to sell and he offers me the most money, it's his.

Easy. >>

That is why I hit 707 and Mr. mint's table before I sell anything!
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Overhyped Fatheaded arrogant loudmouth. But not as bad as he used to be in the early 90's.
  • Options
    A HOLE
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have never had a problem with him. Stories of him taking
    advantage of widows is BS.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    he should take some of his money and get some new crowns on his front teeth...sheeesh
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've picked up some nice stuff at his auctions back in the early 90s.

He can be a bit much but to be honest? Anything he may or may not do - pretty much can be said of many of the dealers out there.

At one time - he was practically the center of the hobby universe so to speak.

I give him high marks for self promotion.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    He literally tore through my whole box, threw down all my cards and wanted to know what I wanted for my whole collection, I told him I didn't want to sell everything he shoved all my cards back to me. Not a very pleasent first meeting.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Great Rosen SI Article

...Great read about Rosen and the booming hobby in 1988...Seems like a nasty guy
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I know that he and some of his staff seem to have very big egos.
  • Options
    $15 per auto!!!!!!!!! You can't get Bob Tewksbury for that anymore.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I know I have a conflict of interest here, but he's done more promotion for the hobby and put it in the spotlight more over the years than 95% of the rest of the hobby combined. I've seen him turn people away quickly and bluntly that came up to him with a box of junk, but I've also seen him do a lot of very impressive things. At Chicago shows, the guy typically goes around taking orders from people for these hot dogs wrapped with fries that he loves and buys for anyone that wants one. He'll walk around for a half hour passing them out. Another time, someone had a mid-grade binder of T205s and T206s and was asking us about grading and he was roaming around kinda anxiously, but confirmed with me that we were completely done dealing with the person before he approached them to make his pitch because he didn't want to influence our business/deal. He might rub some people the wrong way, but I like the guy.
    Steven Bloedow
    Collect Auctions
  • Options
  • Options
    Just to let you know, I'm new to the board and thought I would start by commenting on the Mr. Mint thread. I made a relatively large sale to Mr Rosen at a recent show and I must say that I received a very generous offer, much better than I expected. In addition, he was very friendly and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. I must admit that I have had reservations about dealing with him in the past, but this experience convinced me that he will make a fair offer if the material is something he likes. I have been dealing in sports memorabilia for over 25 years and am pretty knowledgeable in most areas of sports collectibles, so I know I received a fair price. Anyway, it is incombent upon the seller to do his research before getting offers from any dealer.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I got two things from that article:

"Always hustling, trying to make a buck."
    and "Lube job"

...make that three things "I couldn't pay 70% of book for 57 screaming, case fresh '52 Mantles. I had to discount more deeply"

• Options
    No matter how many of HIS "clones" try to defend him.

He is still a SLIMEBALL, he couldn't buy my '52 '54 '55' 57 "Mint" set + extras, unless he came with multiple briefcases. (I'd tack on an additional 20%, just because who he is) I rather sell to a collector who will cherish the cards, unless they HAVE to sell. Rather than deal with a broker who couldn't cut it in wallstreet!
  • Options
    Catfish welcome to the board, your interaction with him was par for the course.

Many of those that trash him are simply jealous of him.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I rather sell to a collector who will cherish the cards

Be honest, you would SELL to the person that would give you the most money.

It is easy to spout off on a message board but when it comes time to sell YOU
    are going wherever the top dollar is.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I'm not jealous of the guy at all. Sure, I'd love to make a million a year in a hobby, but lets be honest, the guy is a used car salesman at best. (No offense to used car salesman) and he rips people off if he can get away with it. To be honest, the two "nice" comments about him, are the first two I've ever heard. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a profit, there is nothing wrong with having the motivation to fly all over the country. It's his pompous attitude, his "look at me, I've got this and I've done that" that rubs people, including myself, the wrong way. Many have heard stories or had dealings with him that were very unflattering. Truth is, the guy is successful at what he does, good for him. I wouldn't sell to him. Yes, if I'm selling I'm looking for the best deal of course. However I am in the process of selling my HOF FB RC collection right now. I offered a number of cards to board members and sold whatever they wanted first. The rest, is going to Mastro. Why? Because I think they'll get me the most for my collection.

If I got a quote from him to buy something of mine, I would suspect that I'd find an offer 10-20% higher from another dealer, and I would go try and find them.

Just my .02
  • Options
    his offers to me were not what I would call first class, more like lowball and see if I bite if not act like I am an idiot for not taking the offer. I am sure if I had 57 mint mantle rcs I would have gotten the nice Rosen.
  • Options
    What some people don't understand or don't want to understand is that
    some of the very cards that they have in their collection might have come through him.

Is he loud? sure, so what?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>I rather sell to a collector who will cherish the cards

Be honest, you would SELL to the person that would give you the most money.

It is easy to spout off on a message board but when it comes time to sell YOU
    are going wherever the top dollar is.

Steve >>

I agree with you, Steve. I remember him from my SoCal shows days in the early 80s (or was it later?). I didn't like him but then again, I didn't like quite a few dealers. At least he knew what he was looking for and would pay, unlike certain other dealers that pretended to know but were just fat, lazy morons.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Steve is right on, guys.

Rosen is a big time buyer who flips his cards to other dealers for a profit. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Robert

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Catfish

Glad you got a good deal from Rosen.

Are you just thinning the herd or getting out of collecting?

What do you collect?

I look forward to your contributions.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    No, I'm not getting out of collecting. I buy and sell and hope to come out a little ahead, financially. I attend lots of flea markets, estate sales and local auctions and do most of my selling on Ebay. I collect mostly vintage and am currently working on finishing a 1960 Post Panel set and a 1888 R&S Artistic set. My ebay seller name is 912345 if you are interested in seeing some of the items I have recently sold or am selling(not too much, currently). I really enjoy reading the boards and hearing the opinions of the members. Thanks for the welcome.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve is right on, guys.

Rosen is a big time buyer who flips his cards to other dealers for a profit. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Robert >>

Well he get to PEROUSE the cards before the public, so that gives him a slight advantage and slight profits. He kept hittin on my GF who could handle herself so i didnt mind..
    Hmmmmm I trade ya HER for a 52 Mantle
  • Options
    I had one experience with him years ago (was desperate for money...do not miss those times). Gave my cards the once over, and passed. I remember Years ago (about 10 maybe) when he was pissing and moaning how cards were dead, and he was going to get into antique toys (particularly Buddy L) because there was a ton of money to be made there. Apparently that did not work out as he thought and he was "forced" to stay in sportscards. I REALLY think he is as NON-Factor as he has ever been in this hobby (sorry to burst your bubble, MR. M), for a variety of reasons (INTERNET), but thankfully image , he has decided to stay with us.
  • Options
    About 10-12 years ago cards were dead.

Steve
    Good for you.