Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Calling all silver panda experts!!! ***FINAL GRADE***

What will this one grade with PCGS? Shot at 69 DCAM?

Edited for better photos (first set I posted had too much glare).

Comments

• Options
    Try using the macro setting if your camera has one.
  • Options
    if that picture is acurate, it will not DCAM because of the lack of frost on momma's and baby's heads. also need to see the fields better to see if there are distractions there....
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    The grade is in. PCGS gave it a MS69, ut oh! No business strikes were produced for the years 1983-84-85, so im assuming its just a simple oversight. Hopefully when they correct it to a PF69, it will have 4 pretty letters behind it!image
  • Options
    Nice coin. The early proof pandas from 1983 through 1989 are difficult to find in PCGS holders graded PR69DCAM. NGC has far more in that grade for those years but for the most part they are only 68s in my opinion.

Have you noticed that there are more 2008 PCGS MS69s and MS70s than all the other years that pandas were made combined in PCGS (both MS and PR) holders?

• Options

<< <i>Nice coin. The early proof pandas from 1983 through 1989 are difficult to find in PCGS holders graded PR69DCAM. NGC has far more in that grade for those years but for the most part they are only 68s in my opinion.

Have you noticed that there are more 2008 PCGS MS69s and MS70s than all the other years that pandas were made combined in PCGS (both MS and PR) holders? >>

Yes I have noticed that, and its somewhat disturbing. Either the Chinese government is getting better with striking coins, or PCGS has loosened its standards. Do you forsee early issues being given more 70's from this point forward (if the coins are still double sealed)? I also just submitted 5 gold one ounce 1995 pandas, all sealed. I think one or even two of them have a real shot at 70. PCGS has graded none at 70....NGC has just one graded 70. It would be somewhat of a very special coin if one of those five comes back 70!image By the way...from my pics...should this one DCAM easily?
  • Options
    Cannot tell from the pictures if it will DCAM or not. I would submit the coin as a "mechanical error" for reholdering to proof designation. I would think if it was DCAM, PCGS would give it that designation in the reholdering process.

I have not seen any of the 2008 PCGS panda MS70 coins but given the improvement in panda quality/consistency over the years, it is very likely they are deserving of that grade. I do not believe PCGS has loosened its standards. The earlier pandas had many lesser quality coins and that is not seen in today's offerings from China. The coins of today are consistently well made.

Good luck with your gold coins. Getting a 70 from anyone of them would be quite the cause for celebration. Getting 69s on all of them wouldn't be all that bad either. 1995 is a better date and with both a large date and a small date variety there may be some additional dollar benefit down the road for one of the varieties.
  • Options
    Final grade is in....PR69DCAM.....woohoo!image
  • Options
    congrats!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options

<< <i>Final grade is in....PR69DCAM.....woohoo!image >>

Nice.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I guess the reason im so very excited about this whole deal is because I made out HUGE on this coin, and another 1985 that graded PR67DCAM. I bought the 2 coins for $200 each about 3 weeks ago. Considereing there are 2 PR69DCAMS on ebay right now with ask prices of $3,000, and $2,990, I would guess the true value to be somewhere in the $2200-$2600 range. This therefore represents my single greatest "find" in my young numismatic life.