Home Metal Detecting
Options

Waikiki Beach

Has anybody ever hunted on Waikiki Beach in Hawaii? I would suspect there would be a lot of rings there with all the honeymooners who visit Hawaii. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to pact the metal detector and meet the airlines baggage restrictions lol. So if you've detected there, let me know how it was.

PS, I'm still here
Happy Hunting!image

Comments

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    I would suspect that locals sweep it pretty regularly. One thing to note though is that Waikiki is naturally a lava rock beach and sand is imported to cover the rock. So you won't be looking at a lot of depth to the sand
  • Options

<< <i>I would suspect that locals sweep it pretty regularly. One thing to note though is that Waikiki is naturally a lava rock beach and sand is imported to cover the rock. So you won't be looking at a lot of depth to the sand >>

So that would be a good thing, right? I only have an 8" coil and a Prizm III, so it gets a max depth of 10 or 12". I guess it would mean that the ocean would likely wash finds away, but if I search further inland on the beach that shouldn't be a problem. Do the lava rocks interfere with the signals the MD recieves at all?
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    I would not be shy ! ! ! Get out as the sun goes down and get the daily deposit. It would help to have a scoop. We need to make a foldup scoop image

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i took my family there in 2004. brought my detector in a special case i borrowed from riccar. there are alot of locals there who search those beaches 24/7. i never met one who even said hi, or was even friendly. be prepared, they don't like out of towners hitting their sand. i did notice that they only go for the shallow targets. i dug alot of coins that were deep. if you have time try the large park going towards diamond head. i went there once and its loaded with targets. i don't think they bother digging in grass there(too much work). but just imagine whats in there.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good tip DemoDigger... look for the 'unfrequented' areas.... by MD'rs that is .... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    double post
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    that's a good idea demodigger. I'll see if I can give it a shot, but I'll only be on O'ahu for 2 days before I get on my cruise, and I still have to see Pearl Harbor and Diamond head while I'm there. So hopefully if I'm not half dead from the jet lag, I'll be able to get more hunting in. I would imagine they only dig the shallow targets to get the freshly dropped rings and other jewlery. But I'll see how it goes when I get there. As for now, I'm trying to figure out a way to pack the thing. I don't want to put it in a seperate case, because I may need to bring a second suitcase, and If I bring 3 of more bags, the airline will charge me extra.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    I always wear a holstered Ruger GP-100 .357 Revolver with 6" barrel.

Should I bring this equipment there, too? Sorry, I'm a newbie image
  • Options

<< <i> I always wear a holstered Ruger GP-100 .357 Revolver with 6" barrel. Should I bring this equipment there, too? Sorry, I'm a newbie image >>

LOL...Do that and we may see you on the 11 O'clock News. :-|

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage