Home Sports Talk
Options

Mike Piazza Retires ...

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
ESPN is reporting that Mike Piazza is retiring. I really like Mike Piazza, so I'll ask this question rhetorically. Who is the greatest NON-HITTING catcher in MLB history. Of course, the answer is who knows and who cares. Is there even such a thing. So with that in mind, why is Piazza always mentioned as one (if not the greatest) hitting catcher in MLB. Why not just one of the greatest catchers in MLB history?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    I don't think that he is rated too highly on his defense, and he did not have a great arm. It's been years since I've
    seen him play, and I didn't actually know that he was currently in the game.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piazza almost singlehandedly made the Mets relevant again in NYC when he came over from Florida. He is one of the all-time greats. That home run he hit to win the first game after 9/11 was one of, if not the the most emotional shots in franchise history.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Who is the greatest NON-HITTING catcher in MLB history. Of course, the answer is who knows and who cares. Is there even such a thing. >>

Well... It depends on what you're looking for.

1) solid defender who will prevent runs from scoring.
    2) a solid hitter who will contribute with his bat.

Some players are a good combination of both, while some are 1 dimensional.

Piazza, when compared to Johnny Bench, is one dimensional. While Piazza passed Bench's offensive records, Piazza can't hold a candle to Bench's defense. For comparison: Bench gunned down 43% of the guys who tried to steal on him. Piazza gunned down 23%. Bench also collected a mess of Gold Glove awards, while Piazza won none.

Ivan Rodriguez is another guy who compares very favorably against Piazza defensively, but he's got the steroid suspicions hanging over him. None the less, he gunned down 47% of the baserunners who tried to steal on him.

Piazza's got the best catcher's bat of all time, but he doesn't come close to holding the best catcher's glove.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    What is Grandma Moses going to do now that she can't steal second base anymore on Mike Piazza? Is there a section
    at Cooperstown for glass arms?

js

ps..I am not gay
  • Options
    I always thought it was funny in baseball when the word "defense" is mentioned. Say the word defense in baseball and what do people think?

For catching (and Piazza), defense means having a strong arm.

Or defense might mean a shortstop [also] having a strong arm and good runs. Or for an outfielder, the ability to "track balls down" or "gun down the runner."

But at ITS MOST BASIC LEVEL, isn't the only real defense ... PITCHING, e.g. the ability to prevent a team from scoring runs.

I wouldn't characterize that other stuff as defense. I think that's best characterized as fielding. And errors notwithstanding, fielding does not substantially affect the number of runs that are scored in a game.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is Grandma Moses going to do now that she can't steal second base anymore on Mike Piazza? Is there a section
    at Cooperstown for glass arms?

js

ps..I am not gay

Once again, the welcher demonstrates how little he knows about the game of baseball, and sports in general...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    and I didn't actually know that he was currently in the game.

He wasn't.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't characterize that other stuff as defense. I think that's best characterized as fielding. And errors notwithstanding, fielding does not substantially affect the number of runs that are scored in a game. >>

Defense, fielding, whatever. Its the same in baseball. Why try to draw a distinction?

A runner gunned down while trying to steal second is a run that will not get into scoring position, and 1/3 of an inning.

The difference between Piazza's catching skills and his bat are vast, which is why some folks like to stick "hitting" in front of "catcher" when describing him.

History will probably forget, as many hitters in the Hall (asside from incredible fielding standouts) are remembered for what they did with the bat more than for what they did at their position.

Bench is still known for both, though.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Bench and Yogi are in a league by themselves. All the rest can battle it out for the 3rd best catcher overall the 4th best...etc.

js
  • Options
    I'd take Piazza over any other catcher in MLB history. Any perceived "defensive" deficiency he may have is vastly overcomed by his superior hitting ability.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am waiting for Skipaninch to arrive and argue how Mike Piazza's weak arm means that Jim Rice sucks.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    solid career but i think i would take bench and yogi over piazza.

i always liked to watch piazza play.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>
    Piazza, when compared to Johnny Bench, is one dimensional. >>

And when compared to David Ortiz, Piazza is multi-dimensional. The mere ability to squat behind the plate, even if he is the worst in the league to do so, is still a huge advantage, because it means the team doesn't have to give 500 at bats to Jose Molina or whomever

A team does not go out and look for the catcher who will prevent runs, nor do they go out and look for the best hitting contributor to stick behind the plate. They look for the player that will help them win the most. And Piazza did that better than all but three or four other catchers in baseball history
    Tom
  • Options
    Piazza's lack of defensive skills are over stated. He was better then many give him credit for.

Yes, he didn't have the greatest arm, he did though call a decent game and pitchers loved to throw to him.

Was he the best ever at the position? No, but not many are above him either.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Good hitting catcher, congrats to him on a great career.
  • Options
    I am waiting for Skipaninch to arrive and argue how Mike Piazza's weak arm means that Jim Rice sucks.

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Piazza's lack of defensive skills are over stated. He was better then many give him credit for.

Yes, he didn't have the greatest arm, he did though call a decent game and pitchers loved to throw to him.

Was he the best ever at the position? No, but not many are above him either.

Steve >>

I'll second this. It's true that Piazza was not very good at throwing out runners, but he kept mistakes to a minimum and had the trust of his staff. Living in the LA area I got to see him quite often in his early years. He had the most incredible opposite field power I've ever seen. He consistenly hit the ball hard to all fields, and his high career average is more impressive considering that he was not only a right handed hitter, but one of the slowest runners in the majors; rivaled, perhaps, only by his teammate Eric Karros. image
    Brett