Home Metal Detecting
Options

What do you do when you find a place to hunt....

that is totally out in the boonies, and a good possibility of encountering animals that can be dangerous. The site is a ghost town that was active from the 1730's to around the 1870's...I drove by there yesterday, and the wife said "NO WAY are you going there alone!"....I have to admit.......it's sure looked snake infested. The land is littered with evidence of home steads....

Comments

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Whenever I go out in the boonies, which is usually the only places I go, I always wear a holstered Ruger GP-100 .357 Revolver with 6" barrel. The first two rounds in the cylinder are snake shot (buckshot rounds) and the remaining 4 are jacketed hollow points. I figure the highest probability is coming across a Mojave Green rattler which is why the 2 snake shot rounds. IF I run across any other dangerous animal (two or four legged) and I find it necessary to protect myself, I figure if they aren't scared off by two buckshot rounds in their direction, then they deserve the third fourth, fifth and sixth rounds.

• Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    wear snake boots and bring a friend.
    That place sounds too good to pass up.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    A warning shot in the forehead usually gets attention the first time around.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always travel armed..... for any kind of problem. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Take many photos first image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    if i was you, i would invite the forum members to insure your safety.

honestly, i've searched that type of place many times. one such place had deer carcasses strewn across a trail. it was a bit scary. me and riccar have some locations at night that i would never do alone. better to be safe and share the experience with someone else.
  • Options
    hunt with a buddy....what time we going?...hee hee hee!...no seriously, what time? ...hee hee hee....pack some heat, wear the boots, and make some noise...good luck...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    It looks like a great place. Take a friend with you. A gun is also good company... and pleeeeeeease take pictures !!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    I haven't been out in the wild yet, but I plan to this summer. Here in Canada we're not allowed to carry guns, especially handguns, so I'll have to stick to a machette and a hunting knife.

Fortunately we don't have any snakes in my neck of the woods and the only other animals I'd really have to watch for would be black bears, moose, coyotes, and the occasional sasquatch, but they're usually more afraid of you then you are of them.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    If you can legally carry a gun there then do so. I would suggest getting a conceal carry permit and carry your firearm. I'm lucky that being a cop allows me to carry mine wherever I go..so I ALWAYS take mine. I feel a 100000 times safer with it than without it. The animal part doesn't bother me too much. I'm an avid outdoors man and have had encoutners with numerous bears, bobcats, coyotes, and the such. Snakes don't bother me either so again that doesn't bother me. Also another thing that I do while hunting to stay safe is thie, I never wear both headphones on my ears. I always keep one off so that I can hear if anyone walks up on me or if a dog or the likes comes after me. This way I can still hear the saounds around me and the sounds from my detector.
    Todd
  • Options
    Sasquatch??? Wow.. Please take pictures... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.....Looks like I won't be wearing earphones, won't need them there anyway, shouldn't be any distracting noises.....I may even wait for colder weather....unless I get a tag along to go with me.
  • Options

<< <i> I always keep one off so that I can hear if anyone walks up on me or if a dog or the likes comes after me. This way I can still hear the saounds around me and the sounds from my detector.
    Todd >>

Sound advice (pun intended) image

Rattler Headphones
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    <SOAPBOX>
    I hope you won't be planning on going around popping every snake you see. They've got as much right as anyone else to be there, and a lot of species are currently under strong pressure from humans. In all fairness, I don't especially like snakes unless they're 2 yards or more away from me in plain view. Closer and unxpected, they give me the heebie jeebies. I do, however, recognize the important ecological role they play and feel regret for the large numbers of folks who'd just as soon shoot them (run over them, gas them, chop them in half, etc...) as look at them.
    </SOAPBOX>

I'm currently in a MS program in forestry and natural resources and I've spent a lot of time in the field in some decidedly unappealing 'snakey' places. From my research on safety, you've got a few options for snake-country safety. First and foremost, wear sturdy, leather, above the ankle boots. Most snakebites are below the knee (also consider that in the Great Smokies National Park, most copperhead bites are to bare feet when people take off their shoes to wade in streams). Don't put a limb anywhere you can't see (i.e., next to a log, under a piece of plywood, in tall grass) if you can help it. Wearing long heavy pants is another great idea; denim was shown in lab tests to reduce envenomation by 2/3 by Pacific rattlesnakes.

Basically if you just watch where you're going and wear jeans and boots, you're much better off. If you encounter a snake, take a minute to admire it from a safe distance and then continue what you're doing with the knowledge and awareness that you're a guest in their territory.

Here's a little post I wrote for a birding list I'm on:

FREQUENCY OF BITES / SEVERITY OF BITES:

"The state of North Carolina has the highest frequency of reported
    snakebites, averaging approximately 19 bites per 100,000 persons. The
    national average is roughly 4 bites per 100,000 persons (Russell
    1980)."(wikipedia) If you consider how many of these bites in NC (and
    the US) were likely delivered to little children, drunks, and people
    deliberately interacting with snakes this equates to a very low
    probability of being bitten if you're being respectful and aware of
    your surroundings.

"Since the act of delivering venom is completely voluntary, all
    venomous snakes are capable of biting without injecting venom into
    their victim. Such snakes will often deliver such a "dry bite" (about
    50% of the time [7]) rather than waste their venom on a creature too
    large for them to eat. Some dry bites may also be the result of
    imprecise timing on the snake's part, as venom may be prematurely
    released before the fangs have penetrated the victim’s
    flesh."(wikipedia) With any snakebite, even non-venomous ones, it
    makes sense to be checked out by a physician, as snakes carry a very
    interesting bacterial load in their mouths, which can lead to nasty
    infections. It's a good idea to immediately wash with soap and water
    (not alcohol). Antibiotics and perhaps a tetanus shot are possibly
    advised. (I'm not a doctor.)

Take all bites seriously – many complications occur because too much
    time is taken getting to a hospital. Many people foolishly wait until
    the pain of an envenomation becomes too severe to tolerate before
    seeking medical help and end up with more severe wounds as a
    consequence.

PREVENTION OF BITES:

"Sturdy over-the-ankle boots, loose clothing and responsible behavior
    offer excellent protection from snakebites when in the wilderness. Lab tests have
    demonstrated that Pacific rattlesnake bites through denim deliver 2/3 less venom
    than bites to bare skin. I always wear thick leather boots
    and loose jeans in snake country (I work in an area with lots of
    copperheads and timber rattlers). I suspect that a large snake
    (particularly an eastern diamondback rattlesnake) could penetrate most
    rubber boots.

Remember, a snake can generally strike from around half a body length
    away. That doesn't mean you ought to get that close if you can help
    it. Give them some room!
    As for the advice, “give snakes plenty of warning that you are
    approaching by putting slight emphasis on your footsteps"(wikipedia) -
    personally, I’m not at all convinced that snakes will “run away” if you
    stomp about, but who knows how many snakes I never saw that did leave
    the area! I’ve actually informally tested this in a few instances by
    stomping on the ground a few feet away from snakes I encounter (e.g.
    garter snakes, kingsnakes) but they didn’t move an inch.

"If you are camping and decide to gather firewood at night, use a
    flashlight and, for your sake, do not go outside barefoot.
    Approximately 85% of the natural snakebites occur below the victims'
    knees." I can't emphasize proper footwear enough. From what I've
    been told, in the Appalachian mountains, almost every Copperhead bite
    visitors get is on a bare foot when they go to wade in those cool
    mountain streams. On the coast, those low saw palmettos can be a haven
    for the 6' long eastern diamondback rattlesnake. Stay out of dense
    grass if you can help it, and certainly if you’re without long pants
    and boots. Avoid walking right up beside low brush or logs if you
    can’t see under them. Become aware of likely places a snake might
    bask, such as rocky outcroppings, fallen logs, etc. Don’t stick your
    arms down holes. There really isn’t a burrowing owl in there – or if
    there is, there’s probably an eastern diamondback in there too with my
    luck :-)

FIRST AID FOR BITES:

Summary: If you are bitten, stay calm, exit the situation, try and ID
    the snake quickly, accurately, and safely, wash the area with soap and
    water, then report to a doctor as soon as possible to receive
    appropriate first aid. Staying calm will lower your heart rate and
    slow any venom's movement through your body.

"Some medical professionals, along with the American Red Cross,
    cautiously recommend two other measures:

* If a victim is unable to reach medical care within 30 minutes, a
    bandage, wrapped two to four inches above the bite, may help slow
    venom. The bandage should not cut off blood flow from a vein or artery.
    A good rule of thumb is to make the band loose enough that a finger can
    slip under it.

* A suction device may be placed over the bite to help draw venom
    out of the wound WITHOUT MAKING CUTS. Suction instruments often are
    included in commercial snakebite kits."(US FDA)

HOW NOT TO TREAT A SNAKEBITE:

"Though US medical professionals may not agree on every aspect of what
    to do for snakebite first aid, they are nearly unanimous in their views
    of what not to do. Among their recommendations:

* No ice or any other type of cooling on the bite. Research has
    shown this to be potentially harmful.
    * No tourniquets. This cuts blood flow completely and may result in
    loss of the affected limb.
    * No electric shock. This method is under study and has yet to be
    proven effective. It could harm the victim.
    * No incisions in the wound. Such measures have not been proven
    useful and may cause further injury."(US FDA)

CONCLUDING REMARKS:

I cannot emphasize enough that anywhere you're birding/hiking/etc, you
    need to know what venomous snakes are present and how to ID them (from
    a distance). It will go a long way toward lowering your panic if
    bitten, if you can say (oh, it was a scarlet kingsnake - nonvenomous -
    not an eastern coral snake - highly venomous). The chances of getting
    bitten when birding are remote, but they can be made even more so by
    being aware that you are in territory that is home to snakes. Be
    respectful of snakes just as you're respectful of the traffic while
    driving to your birding destination.

I understand that many people are uneasy around or downright terrified
    by snakes. Frankly, when I've looked down at my feet and been startled
    to see an innocent little kingsnake curled up a few feet away, I've
    been guilty of making some choice exclamations and jumping up and down
    for a few seconds. Never the less, the snakes have a good reason for
    being there, and next time you see one, take a few minutes from a
    reasonable distance to enjoy a look at some of nature's beautiful and
    misunderstood creatures.

When it comes down to it, your chances of being bitten are very low,
    especially if you take reasonable care to avoid snakebite. If you are
    unfortunate enough to be bitten, prompt attention to medical care will
    almost certainly result in a safe recovery. Enjoy the birds, but don't
    forget to look down once in a while too!

Thanks to everyone who bothered to read down this long post!

KNOW YOUR REGION'S SNAKES:

Snakes of North Carolina:
    http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/snakes.html

Venomous Snakes of North Carolina:
    http://www.naturalsciences.org/research/herpetology/Venomous_Snakes_of_NC.pdf

Snakes of South Carolina and Georgia:
    http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/

NOTES / REFERENCES:
    (As always, check this against what you know and what a doctor advises)

Wikipedia: "Snakebite"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakebite

USFDA: "For Goodness Snakes! Treating and Preventing Venomous Bites"
    http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/995_snakes.html

If anyone happens to have a link to the research I mentioned concerning
    bites through denim, or any research on average bite height, I'd be
    interested in an email pointing me that way.
  • Options
    As far as protection from other dangerous animals, I'd suspect the most dangerous ones you'll encounter are the two legged variety. My main problem on trails is generally loose agressive dogs (I'd love to punch the people who say, "Aw, he won't bite ya!" while their dog is snapping in my face from 3 feet away). On one occasion, if I'd been armed, I would have seriously considered shooting the dog - I felt that threatened. I now carry pepper spray in remote areas, and I'm investigating a concealed carry permit. Pepper spray is reputed to be of limited effectiveness on determined dogs, FYI.

Otherwise, do some thinking about the local wildlife and plan your defensive strategy accordingly. For example, a .357 would probably just make a bear mad, but it's probably fine for a coyote that is in your defensive circle. Pay close attention to gun laws in your area. You don't want to get in trouble and make things that much more difficult for fellow gun owners.
  • Options
    Good advice... in both posts. I agree, snakes are far less dangerous than reputed. Caution, knowledge of the area, simple basics as outlined above, will keep most people safe. Carrying a weapon, legally, is always good advice - providing one is also trained. My advice here would be "Training - don't leave home without it." Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I don't kill snakes....In fact I have saved quite a few in my life from death by idiots....If I do encounter a poisionous snake it will more than likely be a Canebrake or a Diamond back in that area..with the possibility of a coral snake.
  • Options
    In decreasing order of preference of the species I'd like to look down and see next to my foot: Coral Snake (tiny teeth, small snake, usually can't penetrate footwear), Canebreak/Timber Rattlesnake (bigger teeth, medium-sized snake, fairly docile), Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake (huge snake, huge teeth, large venom load).

My friend stepped on a Timber Rattler in the NC mountains - it looked at him while he quickly removed his foot and backed away. Don'ty know it they're all that placid, but I'd like to hope so. I wouldn't want to mess with a diamondback - they're really big, powerful snakes when full grown. Corals have a worse bite, but it's harder to get bitten as they're tiny.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guns can't kill ghosts. It's just a thought.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Good advice Pendragon. FYI I would never purposefully kill a snake that was not a threat, If it rattles and I have plenty of warning I will leave it alone and go another direction. I carry my Ruger in the event that I do not see or hear the snake in time and find myself in a position where trying to get away leaves me more likely to be bitten ie: I step down and the snake is right there next to me, coils up and any movement of my legs to try and exit would likely result in a strike. At that point the snake is unfortunately going to die.

Out here where I live, the most prevalent snake is the Mojave Rattler or as locals call them "Mojave Green." I caught one of these out back once and kept it as a pet for a couple years before releasing it back into the wild, but they are not a snake to be trifled with.

The often mis-named "Mojave Green" has the most potent venom of any rattlesnake in North America. Its poison is about 16 times more powerful than that of the Sidewinder. They can be identified by their triangular-shaped head and diamond-shaped markings along their body, and of course, rattles. They are brown in color in the lower elevations and darken to a green in the higher regions near the mountains. Their eggs hatch within them so anywhere from 4 to 24 baby snakes are born live in a litter.

The Mojave rattlesnake is the most dangerous of rattlesnakes in the Mojave Desert. Its venom, which it uses to immobilized its prey and defend itself, attack both the nervous system with nuerotoxins and the bloodstream with hemotoxins. It looks similar to a diamondback rattlesnake, having diamond shapes along its back. It’s color will vary from green-gray in higher, mountain elevations, to yellowish tones found more often in the lower portions of it's range. Adults range from 2-4 feet in length. The creosote bush, found in the 2,000 to 4,000 foot elevation is the primary, but not the only habitat of this snake. They feed primarily on small rodents. It will not come looking for trouble, nor will it run from it!

• Options
    I always wear a holstered Ruger GP-100 .357 Revolver with 6" barrel. The first two rounds in the cylinder are snake shot (buckshot rounds) and the remaining 4 are jacketed hollow points. I figure the highest probability is coming across a Mojave Green rattler which is why the 2 snake shot rounds.

Wow! I love this Hobby already!!
  • Options

<< <i> I always wear a holstered Ruger GP-100 .357 Revolver with 6" barrel. The first two rounds in the cylinder are snake shot (buckshot rounds) and the remaining 4 are jacketed hollow points. I figure the highest probability is coming across a Mojave Green rattler which is why the 2 snake shot rounds.

Wow! I love this Hobby already!! >>

I spend most of my limited detecting time out in the desert. Now if I go and detect in a city park I won't take the Ruger.

For that I take something with a bit more power. image

• Options
    Nice headlight ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    What kind and brand of gun is that? I want one!

Bob