Home Metal Detecting
Options

Price of Gas

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
How has the price of gas affected your hunting? It is definately slowing me down. Our shopping trips and other little trips are fewer and further between which means that my hunting, if it happens, isn't as long.

Comments

• Options
    No effect yet....I can still find enough "spending" money to pay the gas I use.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually... long road trips become short road trips.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    The price of energy has definately affected my habits. I think twice before hopping in my car to go any distance. Now that the good weather is settling in, I'm hoping that my feet or bike will take me to more destinations than my car!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    It looks like a worldwide problem... here in Paraguay the price is highly increased too! image

I don't have a MD, but I used to take some trips to take pictures... now = short trips.
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    it is affecting me....instead of heading south to hit the beaches i try and stay local as much as i can...last week i had to pick my son up at school on the tandem cause the truck was on E ...i love riding my bike, but not in the 93 degree sun.....arrgh!.... i may trade the truck in for an economy something or other soon....drive/ ride safe....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    So far this year I've only hit very local spots. I don't see any "Detecting road trips" in my near future.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Just paid 1.92.9 per litre for diesel here in the uk it's going up everyday, I try to use the car just for work purposes, not getting out as much as I'd like with the MD

• Options

Old thread...but fourteen years later, same issue.... just more expensive than the last cycle. I can see the price of gas limiting MD hunts, especially those beyond the yard or local park. I like to go find old cellar holes in the mountains, and that burns a fair amount of gas in my Jeep. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Makes me wonder if it's all a ploy to get us to go electric sooner than we'd like.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

I used to drive 100 or more miles when I would go detecting. I now use a small electric bike in conjunction with the local commuter train for long detecting trips. Riding the bike is almost as fun as detecting.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2022 3:24PM

Eventually... long road trips become short road trips become no road trips!

There is no limit to this man-made disaster that's happening before our eye!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm grateful that I'm surrounded by colonial soil. Every dig is within 10-15 miles or less for me. Not that I wouldn't love to dig a civil war skirmish site but I loves me some early American relics and coins. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I drive a car that gets the same gas mileage as what I drove three decades ago.
    And now we act surprised?
    Ok then.

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    I drive a car that gets the same gas mileage as what I drove three decades ago.
    And now we act surprised?
    Ok then.

I guess you can rationalize just about anything.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

@Mizzou. Missouri joined the SEC. They stepped up. Rationalized that. And look at them now. They are with the big boys.
    We gotta step up.
    We will.

• Options

@GulfRasta, You understand of course that Missouri did that for the payout on televised games, not for the stiffer competition. So that actually is a good comparison.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

@Mizzou I like you. :)

• Options

We're playing on different teams, but there's no reason we can't get along. Please don't suggest I buy a Tesla if I don't like the gas prices.

• Options

Huh? You don't know what I think.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 Vehicles. 10 mpg to 35 mpg. Guess which one I drive most often? Yep. the 1.9L twin cammer.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

• Options

@OAKSTAR ... That is excellent customer service/relations.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

It was $4.69 here yesterday.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

When you say $4.69 is that for a gallon? Pardon my ignorance.

• Options

@tynetraveller2000 said:
    When you say $4.69 is that for a gallon? Pardon my ignorance.

It works out $2.44 a litre here☹

• Options

@tynetraveller2000 ... Yes, that is per U.S. gallon.... Cheers, RickO