Home Metal Detecting
Options

Thought I hit the jackpot for a second yesterday in the park...

kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
Went back yesterday to the park where I found the smooth large cent and silver ring last week and continued working the sidewalk area with the small sniper coil. A short while in I thought I had finally hit something good when as I flipped the plug out a large greenish crud encrusted coin dropped out and I could see another large silvery coin in the hole- a double! - and maybe something real old. Well to complicate things just then two small boys riding by on their bikes saw the large coin drop out and imediately rushed over- not sure who was more excited- them or me. At first wipe of the large coin I could see a mans profile- maybe a large old British Penny? nope- Jimmy Carter! Crap, pulled the other coin out of hole- a 1972 German 2 mark coin. The boys however were still excited, each wanting to hold the coins and then asking about how valuable they must be, well....I told them not really valuable, but neat. How these two large pieces got here in upstate NY is anybodys guess, maybe some kid took a few things from his Dad's special box etc.. I was ready to get back to working the area over - except now I had two shadows, it was ok at first, but the persistent questions and asking to hold the metal detector, wear the headphones and dig any signal the detector crossed got old in a hurry. I gave the kids a couple of crusty zincolns (one of which they actually dug) and looked at my watch and made an excuse that I had to leave. The boys asked me to come back today- I politely said I could only hunt on the weekends- well it was just a little lie. It felt good being out at least for a short time and finding a couple of unique things as I had been layed up with a cold all week since going out and finding the silver ring last Sunday. Here's a group shot of everything (well the coins anyways) found in the park yesterday:

And some close ups:
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Nice story ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good story.. however, I agree.. when hunting, those 'tag-a-longs' quickly become annoying... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Kids are like blackflies, you just can't get rid of them.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I had a kid that followed be around several years ago...He was very curious as to what I was finding. I found several coins that day, including a bust dime from 1820 that was 8-10 inches deep...He was good luck that day. and Everytime I have been with him since I have done well...that kid was our Lordmarcovan....image