Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

some killer Phil-US toners in the Goldberg Pre-LB catalog

nice group of monster toners coming up for you Phil. collectors!

Comments

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

All over it!

• Options
    Just keep your bids off of my lot! image

I'm a poor man, and I can't compete against too many bidders.

Seriously though, does anyone besides me think some of the estimates are on the low side? image

Justhavingfun, you have a PM.
  • Options
    Doogy,

As to your having drawn even more attention to this catalog,

THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!image
  • Options
    engravedengraved Posts: 185 ✭✭
    They are on eBay live now. So the secret is out.
    Always interested in nice love tokens and engraved coins.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Doogy,

As to your having drawn even more attention to this catalog,

THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!image >>

image yeah, like everyone and their mother didn't have their eyes on it anyhow image
  • Options
    No offense intended. Just kidding around.
  • Options

<< <i>No offense intended. Just kidding around. >>

i know, me too! good luck in your auctions, I hope you win them!

• Options
    Well, happy times. Am looking forward to this auction. Yummmm

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options

<< <i>Well, happy times. Am looking forward to this auction. Yummmm >>

ha ha! I figured the talk of Phil-US stunners would draw you out. how are things?

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Am looking forward to this auction. Yummmm >>

I guess that mean every man for himself? image
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>They are on eBay live now. So the secret is out. >>

Where? How do I look them up on ebay?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few coins that I'm eyeing, as well (not Philippines, mind you).

An 1808 8 Reales in NGC MS64 (which would have hard time crossing to PCGS, since they duck points on strike weakness) with some nice obverse toning:

And an 1814 8 Reales in AU:

I'm planning to bid strongly on the 1814, since I suspect that 1808 to go for moola money.
  • Options

<< <i>There are a few coins that I'm eyeing, as well (not Philippines, mind you).

An 1808 8 Reales in NGC MS64 (which would have hard time crossing to PCGS, since they duck points on strike weakness) with some nice obverse toning:

I'm planning to bid strongly on the 1814, since I suspect that 1808 to go for moola money. >>

I find it comical that they would duck points on strike weakness, as these things are not typically razor sharp strikes. It probably means they have the US graders grading these when you submit them or cross coins, as they don't know what they are looking at and the nuances of the series. LOTS of US coin series are known to not have razor sharp strikes for a general rule, and plenty still make MS66-68 as the graders know this fact and don't hold it against them too much. who is the finalizer for these, maybe they need an email from you?

Bear in mind that if NGC graded that anytime in the not too distant past, Ken Krah saw it and he certainly knows strike quality and other things better than almost anyone out there.

kinda like when I submitted a half-dozen 1902 matte proof GB Crowns together here. i won't get started on that one, it upsets me still. Point is, only people that are skilled enough to know the series, should be grading the coins.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting commentary... I tend to agree that certain 8R coins may not be understood appropriately in the grading room...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    PCGS does the same thing with Brazilian 960 reis coins, especially ones that are weakly struck and have a lot of the undercoin visible.
  • Options
    If anyone is planning on bidding on any of the coins in this auction, dont bid on Ebay because the commision is 20%. Just go directly to the website www.goldbergcoins.com and sign up for the auction. They still hit you with 15% but that's a little more that you can add to your bid.
  • Options
    Thank you, scavenger! There are a lot of beautifully toned US Philippine coins in this auction. I expect strong bidding on the nicer items.

Meanwhile, for those of you who collect the series, Mr. Wondercoin will soon be putting up for sale, on Teletrade, some neat US-Philippines coins from friends in Manila.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options

<< <i>Mr. Wondercoin will soon be putting up for sale, on Teletrade, some neat US-Philippines coins from friends in Manila. >>

Thanks, I'll make sure my Teletrade wantlist is up to date, and perhaps opened up a bit, in order to ensure I receive timely notice.
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone is planning on bidding on any of the coins in this auction >>

IF???imageYou're joking, right?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHF: Here is one I won't be putting up for sale on TT though. And, the scary thing is that the picture does not do the coin justice. One of the cleanest and most beautiful Pesos I have ever seen - currently residing in the JHF collection.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    which sky is more beautiful?

I pick the Mother Nature "drawn" Peso over one of JHF's favorite oil paintings.

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Anybody here win any of the PI coins at Goldberg? I heard prices went "through the roof" on the coins.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Yes, I won my lot, but only through the graciousness of someone else not bidding against me.

It was the 1927M NGC MS66 5 Centavos, which was paired with another coin in which I had no interest, an NGC MS66 McArthur 50 Centavos.

Goldberg Estimate was $400 - $500, though bidding started at $525 and finished at $700.

Final damage after buyer's premium, sales tax and shipping is $882.36.

Since it was not pictured in the catelog, I will attempt to do it justice with photographs and post it in this forum when I get it in hand.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the Ontario show yesterday,