Home Sports Talk
Options

Gossage Calls Chamberlain Celebrations 'excessive'

And he's right...why are pitchers allowed to act this way? If a batter pumped his fists or jumped up and down after a home run, he'd be hit for sure in his next at bat. But pitchers get away with it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3393773&POLL337=400000000000000000000000000000

Hall of Famer Goose Gossage has some issues with New York Yankees reliever Joba Chamberlain's expressive celebrations on the pitcher's mound.

[+] Enlarge
Joba Chamberlain

Al Bello/Getty Images

Joba Chamberlain let his emotions show last Thursday after striking out the Indians' David Dellucci.

"There's no place for it in the game," Gossage told reporters Monday during a tour of the Hall of Fame, according to MLB.com. "I will stand by that and I love Joba Chamberlain. I'm with him down in spring training. He's a great kid, but no one is passing the torch today. Nobody talks to them. When I broke into the big leagues, I didn't say two words all year."

Chamberlain's antics again drew attention when he celebrated after striking out the Indians' David Dellucci last Thursday. Two days earlier, Dellucci hit a game-winning pinch-hit home run off Chamberlain.

Chamberlain gave an exaggerated fist pump and hollered after fanning Dellucci to end the inning.

Chamberlain plans to remain the same on the mound.

The Yankees set-up man spoke on the phone Tuesday with Gossage.

"He called me and he said what he said," Chamberlain said before Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay. "It's going to continue to go on, but I am not going to change."

Last Thursday, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said: "That's who he is. He's not showing anyone up. He's going to show emotion. He didn't look at Dellucci. He looked into our dugout."

That's not exactly how Dellucci saw Chamberlain's celebration.

"It is what it is. If he wants to yell and scream after a strikeout, I guess that's what gets him going," Dellucci said. "It's May baseball. The home run was in a much bigger situation. I didn't dance and scream.

SportsNation

"If a hitter did something like that, it would be bush. It's kind of interesting how a pitcher gets away with it," he said.

"Everybody has their own opinion," Chamberlain said on Tuesday. "It is what it is. I am not going to change."

Chamberlain's antics have fueled New York talk radio commentary. Now Gossage, who starred in the late innings for the Yankees from 1978 until 1983, is weighing in.

"I'm old school, I'm sorry," Gossage told reporters, according to MLB.com. "I didn't see [Dellucci] celebrating when he hit the home run."

Gossage also told The Bergen Record that Chamberlain needs to remember what uniform he is wearing. According to Gossage, playing for the Yankees carries a different set of rules.

"That's just not the Yankee way, what Joba did. Let everyone else do that stuff, but not a Yankee," Gossage told The Record on Saturday. "What I don't understand is, the kid's got the greatest mentor in the world in Mariano [Rivera]. He's one of the leaders of the team, so you'd think it wouldn't happen on that team.

"But there's no one to pass the torch anymore, no one to teach the young kids how to act. The Mets did a lot of that [celebrating] last year, and look how it came back to haunt them."

Gossage told The Record he would never have been allowed to show emotion as Chamberlain does. His teammates would have made sure of that, Gossage said.

"I'm trying to think of what would've happened if I did what Joba did, especially if I was a rookie," he told The Record. "The veterans would've sat me down so fast, it would've never happened a second time. Truthfully, there would've never been a first time."

Joba Chamberlain's father, Harlan, who was hospitalized last month for respiratory failure from pneumonia caused by the flu, is planning to travel from his Nebraska home to see the Yankees' series at Minnesota that starts May 30.

The elder Chamberlain contracted polio when he was nine, and uses a motorized scooter.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Joba just called Goose's facial hair...excessive.

oh well

JS
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Talk about a teaser headline. I thought Gossage was commenting on Wilt's claim that he had sex with 10,000 women!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Yaaaaawwwwnnnnn
    Another Yankees hater thread. Who cares if Gossage thinks its excessive. Look around the league..guys are doing it all the time now. As long as they arent doing to show up the hitters its a non-issue.
  • Options

<< <i>Yaaaaawwwwnnnnn
    Another Yankees hater thread. Who cares if Gossage thinks its excessive. Look around the league..guys are doing it all the time now. As long as they arent doing to show up the hitters its a non-issue. >>

How can it be a yankees hater thread when Gossage was himself a yankee? Also, do you honestly think Joba wasn't doing it to show up Dellucci who just a couple days before hit a home run off him?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until Chamberlain has a play in which the first baseman fields a ground ball far to his right, and Chamberlain has to cover first base for the throw - that might get interesting - How about the runner assuming a "ram position" against Chamberlain? LOL

That's a "problem" with the DH - The pitchers don't get to bat and therefore can't get plunked for these shenanigans.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Axtell is back. I had suspicions after his first 5 posts, and now I'm sure.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, no one bothers to mention players like Francisco Rodriguez and his fist pumping and heaven pointing, Sammy Sosa's chest pump and kisses, or Manny's bat flips and stares when he thinks he's launched one. Too many players have gotten out of hand in all sports for over celebrating the things that they are EXPECTED to do.

When I coached kids, I always had a preseason speech. I explained that even if it was the first time you accomplished something, act as if you had done it before. Never show up your opponent and have enough respect for the game and your teammates to not over celebrate individual accomplishments. I wasn't being a kill-joy, but you'd be amazed at how many parents commended the way that our teams both won and lost. Often times, our opponents would go over the top even when being trounced if one of their players had an individual moment. And this all stems from watching these "professionals" act like they've just solved world peace AND found the cure for cancer.

Tell you what, I never see my gas attendant high-fiving his coworker after filling my tank or the nurse at the doctors office striking a pose after she gives an injection. I, for one, am getting tired of seeing it on the field. Sack dances, tackle dances, slam dunk shakes and shimmies, homerun poses, and what have you.

I think this crap really started getting out of hand in baseball with Jeff Leonard and Dave Henderson with their lazy homerun trots and "flap down" routines, in football with the Jets' Sack Exchange and Redskins' Fun Bunch and their celebrations, and the insane crap that goes on when goals are scored in soccer. At least in hockey, it's a quick group celebration on a goal and it's much more reserved than it used to be.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Axtell is back. I had suspicions after his first 5 posts, and now I'm sure. >>

Beat me to it.

Hi Tinkerbell.

gofastmini, huh?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Axtell is back. I had suspicions after his first 5 posts, and now I'm sure. >>

Beat me to it.

Hi Tinkerbell.

gofastmini, huh?

image >>

Axtell still driving that Mini Cooper? I thought those things got recalled for being a public eyesore.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I don't have a problem with someone celebrating after some accomplishment in sports. Fists in the air, end zone dancing etc. I don't see
    it as a big deal as long as it is not something that is outright "taunting" like holding a football in someones face and yelling at them.
  • Options
    Oh wow! I should have guessed! Axholio has returned for another banishment! Go fast mini!! Is that your car or something else you're beating on?

An anti yankees thread should have been my first clue. Oh how the hatred runs through those veins for anything NY!

Second clue is that baseball is back so I guess he thought it was time to try another return.

How many names will this make you now? 76? Going for # 77....
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Methinks the Goose is spot on.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    Axtell you are a sad man...can't believe you're back yet again. LOSER!

...anyway, as far as the topic, I agree with otwcards philosophy; "Act like you've done it before". I remember reading Mickey Mantle's "The Mick" & he said he would always hurry up & round the bases with his head down so as to not show up the pitcher. Sadly, I think those days are long gone except for the most classy of athletes.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Axtell you are a sad man...can't believe you're back yet again. LOSER!

...anyway, as far as the topic, I agree with otwcards philosophy; "Act like you've done it before". I remember reading Mickey Mantle's "The Mick" & he said he would always hurry up & round the bases with his head down so as to not show up the pitcher. Sadly, I think those days are long gone except for the most classy of athletes. >>

I think Ted Williams did much the same.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell you what, I never see my gas attendant high-fiving his coworker after filling my tank or the nurse at the doctors office striking a pose after she gives an injection. >>

I actually had a doctor literally attempt to pat himself on the back after he cleared up a simple rash on my neck. Funny thing is, a few months later part of that rash was diagnosed as skin cancer.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

<< <i>Meanwhile, no one bothers to mention players like Francisco Rodriguez and his fist pumping and heaven pointing, Sammy Sosa's chest pump and kisses, or Manny's bat flips and stares when he thinks he's launched one. Too many players have gotten out of hand in all sports for over celebrating the things that they are EXPECTED to do. >>

You're right, all of that crap has no place in baseball. I don't remember any of the all time greats doing it, but these guys have such a 'look at me!' attitude that comes from years of being put on a pedestal from everyone around them that they can't help themselves. They've been told since they showed signs of greatness that they're the best ever, and their egos have ballooned to match.

I wish it would all go away. It's one thing to have a team celebration at home for winning a huge game, or a walk off hit/home run, quite another for the pointless celebrations that are far too common.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "I don't remember any of the all time greats doing it"

So what? Who says their way of doing things should set the standards for anyone else?

Do you think everyone should be held to the same attitudes as their parents, grandparents etc.?

People are a product of the culture in which they grow up, if they are not harming anyone just let them
    be themselves.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my horror! This MIGHT be record time for him being sniffed out.

Edit: It got me thinking though, what has Jobba done so far to have such an attitude? Who does this kid think he is?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh my horror! This MIGHT be record time for him being sniffed out. >>

Wasn't a smart idea to use his myspace handle (gofastmini).

Speaking of, he lost that sigline wager regarding Bush's combined 300 rushes and receptions.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    He's a 21 year old kid pitching for the Yankees & pitching very very well, so I can see him getting excited often. He's probably on a high all day everyday.

It's not an excuse though because most of the time he celebrates unnecessarily. He struck out Dellucci to end the inning that's all, he didn't clinch the pennant or something like that. I like his emotions, he just needs to tone it down and pick spots where can justifiably express those emotions. If he doesn't, then yes he'll start to be pegged as somebody showing up the other team.

He's young, he'll tone it down sooner or later.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yaaaaawwwwnnnnn
    Another Yankees hater thread. Who cares if Gossage thinks its excessive. Look around the league..guys are doing it all the time now. As long as they arent doing to show up the hitters its a non-issue. >>

How can it be a yankees hater thread when Gossage was himself a yankee? Also, do you honestly think Joba wasn't doing it to show up Dellucci who just a couple days before hit a home run off him? >>

Well, all the more reason a Yankees hater would love that, right?

It's time to go back under your bed Axhole and have mommy change your dirty diaper.
  • Options
    If you strike out you already know the pitcher has shown you up; excessive celebrations don't change that. I would be equally upset if he acted like he knew it was going to happen all along. If you don't want this to happen don't strike out
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh my horror! This MIGHT be record time for him being sniffed out. >>

Wasn't a smart idea to use his myspace handle (gofastmini).

Speaking of, he lost that sigline wager regarding Bush's combined 300 rushes and receptions.

image >>

We both know he would never honor that sigline bet. That type of thing is only good when it involves good solid guys here. Axhole, Lil Joey Stalin will never understand that.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a 21 year old kid pitching for the Yankees & pitching very very well, so I can see him getting excited often. He's probably on a high all day everyday. >>

You're talking about a guy who's living every little boy's dream of playing big league baseball, especially for the Yankees. So why shouldn't he be happy and excited about it? Now if only the Yankees could help win a ring for him like they did in late 90s/early 00s dynasty. Then he should be REALLY excited! image

And sheesh, Mark Fidyrich did his own antics when he pitched and he was a big fan favorite and at that time people thought he represented everything right about the game. And maybe that's the whole point; when you get right down to it, it's a game, not a white collar suit and tie business (at least at its very core). I mean, if others played the game with such heart and passion, maybe they wouldn't be stereotyped as greedy $$$ guys as such.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He's a 21 year old kid pitching for the Yankees & pitching very very well, so I can see him getting excited often. He's probably on a high all day everyday. >>

You're talking about a guy who's living every little boy's dream of playing big league baseball, especially for the Yankees. So why shouldn't he be happy and excited about it? Now if only the Yankees could help win a ring for him like they did in late 90s/early 00s dynasty. Then he should be REALLY excited! image

And sheesh, Mark Fidyrich did his own antics when he pitched and he was a big fan favorite and at that time people thought he represented everything right about the game. And maybe that's the whole point; when you get right down to it, it's a game, not a white collar suit and tie business (at least at its very core). I mean, if others played the game with such heart and passion, maybe they wouldn't be stereotyped as greedy $$$ guys as such. >>

Estil please dont ever kid yourself and refer to Baseball as "Its a Game" and "Heart and Passion" its a bussiness that is ALL ABOUT MONEY!!! PERIOD!!
  • Options

I'm am Axtell. This gofast is an imposter !