Home Sports Talk
Options

Manny: I'm the best to ever play left field for Boston."

Wonder if he's ever heard of Ted Williams?

Forget 500 home runs, Manny Ramirez has his eyes on another prize - a Gold Glove. But, according to Ramirez, there's one problem. "How am I going to win a Gold Glove if they take me out in the eighth (inning)," said the Sox left fielder, repeating a line he has passed through the clubhouse since he was removed for defensive replacement Jacoby Ellsbury on Friday night against the Twins. That was a joke. This, however, wasn't: "I think I'm the best ever to play left field in Boston," the slugger said.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted Williams is the best to ever wear a Red Sox uniform, Manny is second to him. Regardless of position, era.

Tell ya what though, If I was Manny I would prolly say the same thing.
  • Options
    Manny is a sub-standard fielder and pathetic base runner lol. but he can certainly hit.

by comparison, Manny is a skid mark on Ted Williams underwear.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, just a minute guys....

Can we say Carl Yastrzemski? CLEARLY the 2nd best left fielder in Red Sox history. Manny? Maybe # 3.

Yaz is a Red Sox icon and HOFer...case closed.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Manny is a moron, his hair doo is messing with this brain! He isn't privy to mention his name in the same sentence as Teddy Ballgame.

If this loser played for any other team than the red sox he would be hated.

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Manny is a moron, his hair doo is messing with this brain! He isn't privy to mention his name in the same sentence as Teddy Ballgame.

If this loser played for any other team than the red sox he would be hated.

JS >>

Please Kevin you would take him on your Sillies squad anytime.
  • Options
    Great players have to have that confidence in their own abilities, and rightfully so. Not saying I agree with him, but would you expect any superstar to say no, I'm not the best at my position?
  • Options

<< <i>Great players have to have that confidence in their own abilities, and rightfully so. Not saying I agree with him, but would you expect any superstar to say no, I'm not the best at my position? >>

Exactly. And not to mention when he is done he will have put up more HR's than any Sox player ever- ( I refuse to consider Ruth a Red Sox )

#1- Teddy Ballgame
    #2-Manny
    #3-Yaz
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    LOL, the Red Sox went years and year without a legit home run threat. Yaz played forever by the way! Having Manny in the top 3 isn't
    saying much. Ted is in a class by himself, or at least a class with only Ruth and Mays.

JS
  • Options
    Manny is a great hitter but too bad he has an IQ 1 below Forrest Gump and proves it often.
  • Options
    Ramirez is perhaps closer to being the Red Sox best leftfielder ever than DiMaggio ever was to being the "greatest living ballplayer"
    Tom
  • Options
    To be quite frank, we all could have avoided discussing this if we all just realized its just Manny being Manny. image
  • Options
    Perk, well said. Can you PLEASE beat the twins for us Tribe fans....it's embarassing that the TWINS are in first place.

signed,
    The Central Division
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To be quite frank, we all could have avoided discussing this if we all just realized its just Manny being Manny. image >>

imageimage

i think he is one of the best hitters in the game, a good fielder as well. He should wake up on the basepaths every now and then! He gets the ball into the infield very quick and had 8 assists last year. Just cause he looks like a lazy diot out there, doesnt mean he is
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    You were right on, Perk. Manny knows he's not a great fielder. He's not as stupid as people think he is . . . at least his hitting IQ is higher than just about anybody playing baseball right now. Sometimes it's just hard to tell that he's thinking because it seems like he doesn't care about whatever just happened.

I don't think I would put Manny in the top 5 of all Red Sox left fielders when it comes to fielding.
  • Options
    Well maybe he IS the best left fielder to ever play for Boston. Check out his clip, he makes an insane catch, hi-fives a fan, then tosses the ball to first for a double play.

No, I'm serious. See for yourself. (may need help w/ the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD7uFYoVzDY&amp;eurl=http://www.barstoolsports.com/

Manny catch
  • Options
    That was awesome- and hilarious after too- Manny was giving Millar a little ribbing from the bench and Millar is a good sport and a good guy but you know he was FREAKIN' STEAMED!!! I pointed out to my buddy the size of the chew he put in after that, image he needed one! He was Rippin!!!

• Options
    looks like the Manny video was REMOVEd by MLB.

lame.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>looks like the Manny video was REMOVEd by MLB.

lame. >>

It's still on the Red Sox site:

Manny's High Five
  • Options
    That Manny play was the coolest I have ever seen.