Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Some State Quarter Pops are Exploding.

Check out the Pop Report and see how some state quarter Pops in MS68 have really jumped this week. List below are 45 of the new MS68 statehoold quarters

Mass-D Previous Pop 4 New Pop 5 Change 1
MD-P Previous Pop 8 New Pop 16 Change 8
SC-P Previous Pop 48 New Pop 65 Change17
SC-D Previous Pop 40 New Pop 45 Change 5
NH-P Previous Pop 19 New Pop 20 Change 1
VA-P Previous Pop 29 New Pop 40 Change 11
VA-D Previous Pop 2 New Pop 3 Change 1
NC-P Previous Pop 67 New Pop 68 Change 1

Comments

• Options
    Some said that more could not be made. They did that many in a week? I look forward to seeing what it will be like in a year.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis: It appears to me (and I personally made -0- of those new coins), although I was able to buy many, that, for the most part, the tough coins remain tough and the "easier" high grades remain easy. For example, as you point out, the very tough "d" mint pieces (Mass(d), Va(d)) were only able to be made in a quantity of -1- coin. No MD(d) or NH(d) were made at all. Yes, the "p" mint pieces keep moving up in pop, but, for the most part (with exception of MD) those were already regarded as the "easy" MS68 coins. I suspect this was a very large "bulk" submission as well and, again, with respect to the "key" coins of 2000, only -2- coins were produced for the -4- key "d" mint states.

But, not just state quarter pops are "shooting up". Have you seen the latest pop report on Jefferson nickels for example? Some once unheard of grades on many key coins have been made in the past 30 days!! I am bidding on one tonight on ebay and the new addition to the pop report doesn't look like it hurting the price any!! image Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Dennis:

Thanks for pointing out the changes in these population numbers. Do you know if PCGS updates all the pop reports once a week, or on some kind of regular basis? I have always thought it was irregular.

I have suggested to PCGS that instead of the current date in the upper right hand corner of their online pop report, they indicate the date that the report was updated.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the bigger question is what are the new Pops in MS67. If, for example, only 1 was made in 68 but the 67 pop went up by 20 coins that answers more questions than if the 67 pop also remains low.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Gerry,
    They are suppose to update the online pop report once a week. The day of the week is not always the same but they usually do get it upgraded once a week.

Mitch,
    What I posted was for this week alone. Remember last week or two, the NY-P MS68 Pop shot way up from 30 to 43 and a MS69 coin was also made. NY-P MS68s were selling in the $400-$500 range and now they are in the $200 range. One new Georgia MS67 was made and now the price has fallen on that coin. THe high was $3200. Last month Georgias sold for $16000 and now they are down to $1130 and $1150 on the last two sold (eBay and Teletrade.) Common date MS68s are down to under $150. I am a modern coin collector and I am buying some lower pop state quarters but with bulk submissions taking place, a wait and see attitude may be the best bet.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The exploding pops aren't anything different than MS-65 Morgan Dollars went through during the first few years of PCGS grading. With only a small quantity of coins available during the first year, gem Morgans were fetching $1,000 each. As more were graded, the price shrank to $300.
    As even more were graded and the market fizzled they fell to $100 by the early 90's. Expect the same for MS state quarters. The available supply is nearly unlimited. It's just a matter of getting someone to pay the grading fees and get them through PCGS. You ain't seen nothing yet!
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    Which high grade Jefferson are you referring to? Clearly the 2001-P with now 23 MS67FS has plummetted. From above $1,000 when the pop was very low on downward until the final nail when one sold for below $100 the other night.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Brian: I bid over $3900 tonight on that 1960 nickel on ebay and lost!! The pop went up to -3- and the price went up too image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the Pops on State Quarters affect the price on Jefferson nickels how? I missed this part of the thread, can someone enlighten me?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Obviously, Brian thought nickels were more interesting, as I must admit I thought this afternoon as well image Wondercoin.
  • Options
    You can always point out a few coins that are not following the trend but if you look at the overwhelming majority of state quarters, prices have continued to drop. Coins that sold as high as $3400 are now selling for under $200 as in the case of the Mass-P. Take the Georgia quarters that sold for $3000+ are now selling for $1100. Or how about the Maryland-P. The pop doubled from 8 to 16 in one week and the price was cut in half. Same for the Vermont D once a $1400 coin that can now be purchased for $300. Everyone thought that all of the D mints were going to be rare and some still are but if you had bought an expensive D mint South Carolina or Vermont then you lost your shirt. Stop pointing out the exception and look at the overall majority of state quarters. The prices are falling faster than the prices at Wal-Mart. This is all due to increases in Pops. I saved a copy of our last thread discussing this in December and said we would revisit it in 6 months. If this keeps up, we won't have to wait 6 months for me to prove that the overwhelming majority of state quarter prices are falling, falling, falling. As Aerosmith asks " Going Downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?"
  • Options
    There are now 542 MS68 State Quarters with only 15 states issued.( Not counting Tennessee which was just issued) I am sure there will be many more MS68s made for these first 15 states and that the Pops will continue to explode and the prices will continue to fall. Would you care to bet. Like I mentioned before, you can point out the one or two coins that are the exception to the rule but the overall majority will follow the trend of exploding pops and falling prices. Hind site is always 20/20 and anyone can look in the past and say here is a coin you should have bought and look at the money you could have made. Can you pick out or predict the next low pop quarter other than saying it will be a D Mint. Looking back you can say here are the few exceptions. Can anyone predict and buy the next coin that will continue to have a low Pop? If so, I want to borrow your crystal ball.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    The first to market high grade coins are always high priced! After a year or two the pops go up and the price going down! That is how the market works! I am a lincoln collector...... but I trail the market by two years... right now I need the 2001 high grade Lincolns..... you can get MS-67 for about the price of slabbing! MS-68 for $25 to $35............ the first ones to come out the prices were in the hundreds of dollars!

I would like to thank all the collectors that pay the big money for the FIRST high grade coins to hit the market...... this causes "greed" and dealers submit coins like crazy people..... then the price drops.. image... then I buy the coins at alot lower price..(sometimes just the price of grading).......... I just love the market!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Spooly,
    I agree with you 100%. The wait and see approach has helped my save thousands of dollars. Dealers were pushing $300 commom MS68 State Quarters. I waited and bought most of mine for $149.00 and now I wish I had waited longer, as the prices are still falling.
  • Options
    Dennis: Yesterday, you "waited in the wings" to bid nearly $1200 on ebay on a year 2001 state quarter only to be "outsniped" by someone wanting to pay more! You bid so high, my last second bid didn't even show up under the ebay system!! Your "4 figure" bid for a state quarter occured shortly after you started this thread suggesting pops are exploding? I "love ya baby", but, can't go down this path today again. image Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Mitch
    Typical, never respond to the whole statement or facts. I stated that the overwhelming majority of state quarters were falling in price and that the overwhelming majority of Pops were increasing. I saved a copy of my thread from December in which we debate whether state quarter prices were falling and we agreed to revisit this point in 6 months. Do you want me to post how prices have dropped and pops have increased in the last two months alone. I can prove that the majority of state quarters are following this pattern with a very few exceptions. Even the mighty Georgia P & D are falling the $3000+ to $1100. I do believe you sold both last month for over $1500 each. I saw one go on eBay last week for $1130 and one on Teletrade for $1150 not to mention a private sale for $1000. I also stated that there are a few exceptions such as those with very low pops. (example, the NC-D Pop 6 that I was bidding on along with several others including you) Also, look at the Maryland P that had a Pop of 8 in MS68 and was selling for well over $1200. The Pop one the Maryland P jumped from 8 to 16 in one week. I see that you have one listed on eBay for $699. Seems to me that is a big drop in net value in one week.
    Out of the 30 state quarters that have been issued, there are only a few that are not following this trend. (D Mint coins with very low Pops)
  • Options
    Dennis: Why are you wasting my time with this? Since I never sold these $3400 Teletrade coins you speak of, or the $5,000 year 2001 coins, etc., etc. this is getting a bit old. My 10 year old son can pick up the pop report and see the 50% of the state quarter dates that are still highly desireable (e.g. pop 1 PA in MS68, etc) and the 50% that are "common" in MS68 (e.g. VT(p) in MS68). At first, I found it challenging to debate your general premise that all state quarters were crashing. I didn't even know at the time, you were quietly assembling a top set!! Now, it is getting a bit old. I could care less if you convince this entire board that every state quarter is crashing (except the ones you are currently bidding on image ) With that said, I must get back to work image Wondercoin.