Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MORE ADDED- PLEASE READ.......Back by unpopular demand: POKER CONTEST

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya did good Lee!

Tough brake - I woulda gone all in too with the 8s.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Good job Lee - you had to make a move at some point.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a lotta money for a kid like you. Anybody asks, you tell them you won it playing craps.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Leaiascards nailed it with 8th place. Good guess that I'd suck once I got to the final table.
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Final score?
  • Options
    night all.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    nm, guess I hit refresh too soon

grats )
  • Options
    How much was the buy in Lee?
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    The buyin was $162 and I cashed out for over $3,000. I'd say it's been a good week. I also proved (once again) that drunken poker is way more profitable than sober poker.
  • Options

<< <i>The buyin was $162 and I cashed out for over $3,000. I'd say it's been a good week. I also proved (once again) that drunken poker is way more profitable than sober poker. >>

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks to all that followed. Sorry I let you down. More importantly, I'm sorry that Rocky II let me down. It's easily the most motivational movie of the 80s and it let me down. I blame all the writers, producers, directors, and actors. The gaffers too. damn gaffers.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    and the best boys, too. Don't forget them.
  • Options
    It's all the key grip's fault.
  • Options
    F-in key grip. That guy's been out to get me since day one.
  • Options
    Hey, old friends never tasted this good.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Looks like there will be around 3500 players or so >>>

<<< The buyin was $162 >>>

I'm guessing the buy-in was $150 with an entry fee of $12.

3500 entrees x $12 = $42,000....So the biggest winner was "Pokerstars" - must be nice to own a poker gambling website and have a license to print money.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

While I agree with you in principle (it would indeed be nice to run a business that's profitable), your numbers are a little off.

There were 904 entrants @ $12 per so Pokerstars take was $10,848. With first place paying nearly $25,000, the biggest winner wasn't Pokerstars.

I certainly respect the fact that gambling can be a big problem for some people, but still don't agree with you that poker is gambling. And even though we'll never agree on that, certainly you can agree that for some, poker and gambling can be recreational and done responsibly by many people. I don't play in $162 buy-ins because I can't afford that, but I can drop $100 a month in my account, and occassionally am able to cash out as well. And I'm not a good player. I just wish everyone of your posts in a poker thread didn't have to be so negative. I'm sure Lee is not complaining this morning about the $12 rake he had to pay while he's counting his $3000!!!

Congrats on the run Lee. I wimped out and went to bed.

My original guess was an obvious typo, I meant to type 8th.

shawn
  • Options

<< <i>Leaiascards nailed it with 8th place. Good guess that I'd suck once I got to the final table. >>

Do I get a bonus for such an accurate call? LOL

Congrats though on the great finish.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve,

While I agree with you in principle (it would indeed be nice to run a business that's profitable), your numbers are a little off.

There were 904 entrants @ $12 per so Pokerstars take was $10,848. With first place paying nearly $25,000, the biggest winner wasn't Pokerstars.

I certainly respect the fact that gambling can be a big problem for some people, but still don't agree with you that poker is gambling. And even though we'll never agree on that, certainly you can agree that for some, poker and gambling can be recreational and done responsibly by many people. I don't play in $162 buy-ins because I can't afford that, but I can drop $100 a month in my account, and occassionally am able to cash out as well. And I'm not a good player. I just wish everyone of your posts in a poker thread didn't have to be so negative. I'm sure Lee is not complaining this morning about the $12 rake he had to pay while he's counting his $3000!!!

Congrats on the run Lee. I wimped out and went to bed.

My original guess was an obvious typo, I meant to type 8th.

shawn >>

Oh, I can be much more negative about gambling than this. LOL

Seems as though this is a daily tournament so just one month of losing $162 x 30 days = $4,860 which wipes out the $3,000 won and more...which is one reason why these online poker tournaments with their approximately 10% rakes, are pathetic sucker games beyond belief - and if someone wants to post a thread such as this, including others posting links to affiliate commission gambling websites, especially in a forum that has many underage people reading the posts, then I'm gonna retort as to what gambling and online poker is really all about...and that is in the long-run it's an addictive, money losing game...for everyone...no exceptions...just a question of how addictive and how much money gets lost.

But don't worry about it - I've never once asked a moderator here to have a thread removed...and I don't intend to begin now. If anyone here wants to "glamorize" gambling, then I reserve the right to post about the other point of view...there's nothing "glamorous" about foolishly losing your hard-earned money.

I understand the addiction and the comraderie with the cheering for the OP to win the tournament and all that, but the other side of gambling also needs to also be pointed out...and I'll continue to point it out anytime I feel like it.

-
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    seems like a great thread sorry i missed it.

nice job lee, congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Actually, this forum is for Adults according to the TOS, Goot excluded image
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    So the biggest winner was "Pokerstars" - must be nice to own a poker gambling website and have a license to print money.

geez. dont hate.

• Options

<< <i>.......must be nice to own a poker gambling website and have a license to print money........ >>

They aren't twisting anyone's arm to send them money. They are capitalizing on an addiction no more than Marlboro or Budweiser.
  • Options
    Nice job on the tourney results Lee.

I am sticking with FTP right now and trying to build 100 bucks to 200 bucks and so forth by just playing super low stakes sit-n-gos and small tourneys. I am attempting to replicate what Chris Ferguson did by bulding zero to 10K (but I am sure it will be a wee bit more difficult for me) such as what he did a year back or so. If I just build it to 300-500 I am fine with that. I think I am at 110 bucks right now after 3 weeks - having put 100 bucks into this account...... playing about 3 sng's a week at 2.25 a pop. Once I get to 200+ if I do then I will build up my buy in stakes games. Its going to be difficult to get really high amounts of win rates because I refuse to play bigger online ring/cash games - I am only sticking to the sng's and small tourneys for now and maybe bigger tourneys later.

I am playing NL Hold Em - live - tonight at a bar tourney. Its a free roll for me cause I run the tourney once a month then get a free roll in the next event and so forth each month. If I get some free cash here via my free roll tonight I will then find myself sitting in a live ring 1-2 Pot Limit Omaha HILO game on saturday.

Hopefully I will do well going from nothing spent into some glorious winning sessions by the end of the weekend. I could use the extra dough for a couple of auction bids I have at a couple of the auction houses right now.

I enjoy reading these threads on your online play. Keep it up! Again, nice job.

peace out
    Rich

• Options
    I'm a big fan of Texas Holdem.

I watch it for hours on end on TV since I can do 3 things and still not miss much. I only play on-line for fun - my choice (well wife's!).

I think Lee enjoys it and would never smoke anyone about the "virtues" of gambling.

There's a simple addage - not related to people who have addictive personalities - viewing gambling for recreation - no different than paying hundreds for pieces of cardboard:

If ya can't afford to lose? Ya can't afford to win.

And last, just like any hobby - if one doesn't focus and stay on budget? One is doomed - whether it be gambling or collecting hunks of cardboard.

I apologize for the pontification.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Just so stevek can be satiated, I'd like to say that tournament poker overall is not a profitable way to gamble. There are, in fact, very few ways to gamble profitably, but then, most of you know that and still manage to gamble for fun without becoming addicted. Gambling is bad and can become a disease that will ruin your life if you're not careful. Only play if you can afford to. This message has been brought to you by 1-800-Gambler. Steve, thanks for jumping into an otherwise fun thread with you GA propoganda. Way to go Debbie Downer.
  • Options

<< <i>Just so stevek can be satiated, I'd like to say that tournament poker overall is not a profitable way to gamble. There are, in fact, very few ways to gamble profitably, but then, most of you know that and still manage to gamble for fun without becoming addicted. Gambling is bad and can become a disease that will ruin your life if you're not careful. Only play if you can afford to. This message has been brought to you by 1-800-Gambler. Steve, thanks for jumping into an otherwise fun thread with you GA propoganda. Way to go Debbie Downer. >>

Yea, Yea, Yea...I know, I'm a "killjoy" right? Oh well, I'll just have to live with it.

I bid "farewell and adieu" to this thread - Yes that was a line from the movie Jaws which was about sharks. All I'm trying to say is beware of the sharks which are gambling websites.

-
  • Options

<< <i>.........All I'm trying to say is beware of the sharks which are gambling websites. >>

Who asked?
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna guess you finish 8th - good luck
  • Options
    Since I play better when I'm drunk do you think I could deduct my alcohol expenditures for a tax writeoff?
  • Options
    Are you really ever sober long enough to be able to make the distinction?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    CD-
    That is CLEARLY a business expense! If the IRS audits you just tell them that some anonymous guy on the internet told you it was ok to deduct. I am sure they will understand! image
  • Options
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    "Since I play better when I'm drunk do you think I could deduct my alcohol expenditures for a tax writeoff? "
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That right there is some funny stuff , never thought about that .
    Ya might be onto something there .

It's like fuel in the truck , it runs a lot better with , than without

Might as well give it a shot , no pun intended image

I would have like to watch this , I hope ya did well though .

It seems to get people excited here and that's cool .