Options

I am now convinced that Cliff Lee has sold his soul to the devil

Comments

• Options
    Amazing year! Career record is pretty great too, 73-38
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Today's Cleveland Plain Dealer stated the last Indians 20 game winner was Gaylord back in the 70's. If memory hasn't faded that much I think that team was not very good either. Although the Indians keep winning...maybe they will go undefeated the rest of the way and shock the baseball world!!imageimageimage
  • Options
    I went back and looked at the 1972 season and the Indians were 72-84. Gaylord won 24 of the games and was the Cy Young winner. Cliff is almost at the same percentage of wins as Gaylord was that year. Hopefully this years team wins more that 72 since they are already at 64.
  • Options
    Cliff improves to 20-2 with tonight's win becoming the Tribe's 56th 20 game winner and moving to #6 on the single season winning percentage all-time list.
    He is currently the top lefty on the list and could move as high as fourth. The Indians move to within of one of the Yankees record of 57 twenty game winners.

Lee improves his chances for the AL Cy Young award and the AL MVP. He is a lock for AL Comeback Player of the Year.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Lee improves his chances for the AL Cy Young award and the AL MVP. >>>

I agree the Cy Young is his to lose, but he will not even finish in the Top 10 in MVP (at least he shouldn't).
  • Options
    agreed about the MVP. I love the Indians, but I'd give my vote to either Quentin, Pedroia or Youk.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    wow he is pitching well, he may win both CY and MVP
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>here's some pics of our daughter from the Tribe/NYY game when they were in Cleveland a week or 2 ago.....

Got to the field just before 5:30 like I've always done and find out that they now open the gates for the lower reserve (our seats) earlier than that. So all kinds of people were already down by the bullpens and in place to snag BP balls.

Katie and I went over and waited until they opened the rest of the park and then went down near against the field on the lower RF side. As usual the opposing pitchers were there (no Joba, Mariano, etc..) warming up and goofing off. One of them (#34) had a ball and was walking in our direction. I waved my glove above Katie's head and caught his attention. He says "You're going to give it to her, right?". I tell him it's my daughter and he tosses me the ball and makes her day!

I will say that from what I observed that the NYY's are some of the most fan attentive (as far as handing out balls) that I've seen there at the games and they certainly made sure that the balls went to young kids.

It was a good game and we had a good time. She danced when they played music and booed for Arod and Jeter and when Giambi hit his HR's because a lot of people were and she could hear them. She soaked me for a hot dog, peanuts, smoothie, and a T-shirt. >>

Cute kid. Looks like you two had a lot of fun.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Today sealed the deal for me. I now think Joe Morgan is a complete TOOL. I know, I know most of you already knew this, but I was kinda' on the fence about him. Untill today.

Online chat question:

<< <i>Does Cliff Lee win the CY Young this year? He deserves it but does the Indians' sub-par play this season hurt his chances? >>

<< <i> Joe Morgan: I don't think he deserves it over K-Rod, because the Angels, especially in the first half of the season, were winning 1-run games often, and he was making that stand up every time. Without K-Rod, they would not have this 15-game lead. He's about to do something that no one in the history of the game has ever done. Cliff Lee has done something great, but many people have won 20 games before. It's a very slim edge. >>

Comon' joe. We all know that lots of pitchers have won 20 games. The point here is that Lee leads the league in ERA, and is 20 - 2.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Agree with david here but at the same time Morgan does make a point too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    couldn't the fact that the other three teams in the division with the Angels suck have something to do with their big lead????
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Win number 21 in the books.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely insane. Whether you agree with it or not, Lee has a good shot at MVP as well as wrapping up that CY Young Award.
  • Options
    he may get some votes, but he would get serious consideration if the tribe was at least close to making the playoffs. at this point he should be a lock for the Cy Young.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Ho hum. 21-2 now after 7 innings, 7 hits, 1 run, 1 BB and 5 K ... with a 2.28 ERA.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Just because that is your opinion doesnt make it so. History has shown its possible. Of course there are many others that will be considered. Thats why they vote, Einstien.
  • Options
    History will be on his side too.

lol Barry, yeah Ax says something and it must be fact.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ohhh no! I misspelled Einstein! My high school english teacher would be so disappointed! And I never use the apostrophe. I find it a waste of a keystroke. Now that you are done being the spelling police, try and find something better than spelling to get me on. It's weak, much like your brain. Kind of 5th graderish.

And since you have a difficult time comprehending simple english...I will quote myself...

"Whether you agree with it or not, Lee has a good shot at MVP as well as wrapping up that CY Young Award"

Arent you just rewording what I said? Why dont you try coming up with something original. Or how about you just leave....again.

Oh yeah, your days are once again numbered....thats why you are scrambling, staying up late to get in as much spew as possible I suppose.

Goodbye now little boy!
  • Options
    Well, got tickets for Friday and Saturday night this weekend. With my luck Cliff will pitch the Saturday day game which is a make up from May. I sure hope he pitches one of the games at night. My kids haven't seen him pitch and this would be a great opportunity for them to see a Cy Young winner. Or should I say potential winner. My luck it will be a bunch of rookies each night.
  • Options
    Lee is scheduled to pitch Friday and Carmona will take the hill on Saturday.
  • Options
    The Indians should consider trading Lee, I mean he is 30. Imagine the young talent you could get for this guy, might be a good idea. This is his Career year no doubt.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Indians should consider trading Lee, I mean he is 30. Imagine the young talent you could get for this guy, might be a good idea. This is his Career year no doubt. >>

I like the way you think! That'd be a helluva trade that could set the Indians up for years to come
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    The Indians and Lee are uo 12-3. Victory number 22 (to go with 2 losses) is all but assured. I might have to consider this soul and devil stuff.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    He will get some votes, and is having a great season, but he's not the MVP
  • Options
    If the Indians keep Lee on a five day rotation he will finish out against Minnesota on 9/17, Boston on 9/22, and Chicago WS on 9/27. He is 2-1(only AL loss) vs. the Twins, 1-0 vs. the White Sox, and has yet to face Boston. Lee, and the Indians, could help determine the winner of the AL Central and the AL Wild Card.
  • Options
    Guy is having a great year that is for sure. He had another yr. where he went 18 and 5.

So winning games like this is not new to him.

Last yr he was hurt? only 5 and 8

He may very well be the AL comeback player of the year.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve - He was hurt last year and it effected his mechanics. Throw out last year's 5-8 and his career record would be 71-30.
    I agree on the AL comeback player of the year status.
  • Options
    Congrats to Cliffy on being named the AL comeback player of the year!
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats to Cliffy on being named the AL comeback player of the year! >>

So will the devil want that award, or the Cy Young?
  • Options
    The devil gets 50% of the comeback award and 100% of the Cy Young.

He may even get one of Cliff's kids. Not sure yet if there was a PTBNL involved.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Congrats to Lee on winning the award. I think the voters got it right: Lee 132 points, Halladay 71 points, and K-Rod with 32. All good seasons and all seem reasonably represented in the award point totals.
  • Options
    Next year Cleveland goes for a trifecta...can anyone say Fausto!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Next year Cleveland goes for a trifecta...can anyone say Fausto!!! >>

Hopefully Beckett will win one to make up for the one that CC took from him last year.
  • Options
    "Hopefully Beckett will win one to make up for the one that CC took from him last year. "

CC was just as deserving as Beckett and had a monster season. If he had pitched in the NL the whole year he could have won it this year too.

Dont Hate image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Next year Cleveland goes for a trifecta...can anyone say Fausto!!! >>

Hopefully Beckett will win one to make up for the one that CC took from him last year. >>

???

Sabathia Games started 34 Wins 19 losses 7 ERA 3.21 innings 241 K's 209
    Beckett Games started 30 Wins 20 losses 7 ERA 3.27 innings 200 K's 194

what did they take aware from Beckett???? seems they stacked up pretty close....the Cy Young is for the season, not how they pitched in the playoffs.

just my random thoughts after being up for 21 out of the last 24 hours....
  • Options
    that one extra W. i guess is what puts it over the top for whiny sox fans lol.
  • Options

<< <i>that one extra W. i guess is what puts it over the top for whiny sox fans lol. >>

have to laugh...told you I had been up for 21 out of 24 hours.....should be using some sort of smell check.....I'm now working on 28 out of 31 hours being up....and I get to go back to work at midnightimage
  • Options
    Apparently the Devil gave Cliff his soul back.

Yuck.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    UH-OH, Not a very good way to start the season for this man.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    not surprising given how badly he sucked in spring training.
  • Options
    I always liked this thread.
    Congrats to Cliff. He threw a gem tonight.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Yes, very appropriate bump, since it was started by a Yankee fan. image
  • Options
    It sure didn't take long for this to resurface. I'm just surprised it didn't make an appearance in the DS or NLCS. Good bump!!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Coming back to haunt
  • Options
    Cliff Lee is awesome.....sure hope that the Rangers resign him...hate to see him go to NY. Makes you wish the Indians had him on the roster during the 07 playoffs....couldn't have done any worse than the way the others did that year.....
  • Options
    It would be sickening if New York signs him next season. He should stay with Texas.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I would be shocked if they do not sign him.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be shocked if they do not sign him. >>

not a good start...

Fans' treatment of Cliff Lee's wife at Yankee Stadium might not help the Yankees' recruitment of one of the game's top left-handed pitchers.

During the AL Championship Series games in New York between the Yankees and Rangers, fans were extremely rude to Kristen Lee, spitting and throwing beer in her direction and shouting obscenities, according to USA Today.

"The fans did not do good things in my heart," Kristen Lee said, according to the newspaper. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it's hard not to take it personal."

Kristen Lee sat in the visiting family section, according to USA Today.

• Options
    Nothing a 10-year contract (yes, until he's 42) for 16mil per won't be able to smooth over.
  • Options
    Looks like the Devil is a SF Giants fan. image