Home Sports Talk
Options

I am now convinced that Cliff Lee has sold his soul to the devil

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
Thats all.

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I believe it. Of course, he's not the first. Just look at the resumes of Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Cool avatar. I'm still looking for mine.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has been NASTY!!!!!!!!!! But I can promise you he will come back down to Earth soon enough... there is a cure for premature Cy Young thoughts called July and August!
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    This years Jeremy Bonderman???
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    He was in the minors almost all of 07. 0.81 ERA! Unreal.
    No way he can keep up much longer. And I'm a TRIBE fan.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    did you see the pine tar on his fingers? i was watching the yankee game 2nite and i definately saw something on his hand in the 6th inning!!!!
  • Options
    I wish Travis Hafner would sell his soul....and regain his swing!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish Travis Hafner would sell his soul....and regain his swing! >>

WTF was Wedge thinking by having Hafner pinch hit with the bases juiced?

that was some powerful rap he put on that ball. Did it make it past the dirt surrounding home plate?

I really believe Hafner should go.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He has been NASTY!!!!!!!!!! But I can promise you he will come back down to Earth soon enough... there is a cure for premature Cy Young thoughts called July and August! >>

I'm not saying Lee will win the Cy Young but it's not like he was some stiff in the past.....he did win 18 games in 2005 and 14 in 2004 and 2006. He was hurt at the beginning of last year and never got totally healthy....I think he will win at least 15-20 games....
  • Options

<< <i>I really believe Hafner should go. >>

He is really hurting the team right now. If he is still hitting in the low .200s in late june, I think the Indians should really look at finding a hitter before the trade deadline.

OR, I know a large headed of/DH that's still looking for work. His daddy played for the indians too.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    They showed two very simple things that Hafner is doing differently with his stance and his hands. duh. please someone show him the damn tape. otherwise sign bonds and install him at DH... OR trade for Jim Thome image bring him home to finish out his career; he always heats up in JUNE image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I love it, when Yankee fan is shown the woodshed they go kicking and screaming..."he had pine tar he had PINE TAR"

maybe you all just suck

JS
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wish Travis Hafner would sell his soul....and regain his swing! >>

WTF was Wedge thinking by having Hafner pinch hit with the bases juiced?

that was some powerful rap he put on that ball. Did it make it past the dirt surrounding home plate?

I really believe Hafner should go. >>

Wedge seems to have lapses in judgement this year. Remember when Paul Byrd was shutting down the Red Sox through 8 innings and only 88 or so pitches? Wedge then yanks Byrd, and then the Sox win it in the 9th. The first thing Jerry Remy said when Byrd did not come out for the 9th was that "Wedge was doing the Red Sox a BIG favor."
  • Options
    Cliff Lee has not been signed by the Steinbrenners, nor is he pitching for the Yankees.
    Therefore, he has not sold his soul to the devil IMO. image
  • Options
    here's some pics of our daughter from the Tribe/NYY game when they were in Cleveland a week or 2 ago.....

Got to the field just before 5:30 like I've always done and find out that they now open the gates for the lower reserve (our seats) earlier than that. So all kinds of people were already down by the bullpens and in place to snag BP balls.

Katie and I went over and waited until they opened the rest of the park and then went down near against the field on the lower RF side. As usual the opposing pitchers were there (no Joba, Mariano, etc..) warming up and goofing off. One of them (#34) had a ball and was walking in our direction. I waved my glove above Katie's head and caught his attention. He says "You're going to give it to her, right?". I tell him it's my daughter and he tosses me the ball and makes her day!

I will say that from what I observed that the NYY's are some of the most fan attentive (as far as handing out balls) that I've seen there at the games and they certainly made sure that the balls went to young kids.

It was a good game and we had a good time. She danced when they played music and booed for Arod and Jeter and when Giambi hit his HR's because a lot of people were and she could hear them. She soaked me for a hot dog, peanuts, smoothie, and a T-shirt.
  • Options
    I heard that Lee was injured in last year's spring training and wasn't able to get the training the coaching staff knew he needed and as a result he suffered. This year he was healthy in spring and you can see the results.

Cleveland is among the best teams in the bigs at scouting players, right up there with Oakland, Florida, and Tampa, and the results are definitely showing.
  • Options
    Another 9 innings tonight, 0 earned runs!
    ERA 0.67
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I try trading him in my fantasy league after he shut down the yanks, maybe ill keep him around after all.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    Goose, #34 is Phil Hughes. Might have been his best pitch all night long.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    So what happens first? A Cliff Lee loss or a Barry Zito win? Tough call.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>So what happens first? A Cliff Lee loss or a Barry Zito win? Tough call.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

or a Eric Gagne save??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So what happens first? A Cliff Lee loss or a Barry Zito win? Tough call.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

or a Eric Gagne save?? >>

OOPS...my bad...didn't realize he already had 9 saves...my remark was based on recent performance....image
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    Cute pics Goose. I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to take to games. Actually, we did just take her to her first Gator Baseball game the other week; but it'll be really cool when she's old enough to really appreciate & enjoy it (she's just 6 months old now).
  • Options
    Got his 13th win today. If he doesn't get injured he's going to have 21+ wins.

Comeback player of the year and Cy Young?
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.......But I can promise you he will come back down to Earth soon enough... there is a cure for premature Cy Young thoughts called July and August! >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.......But I can promise you he will come back down to Earth soon enough... there is a cure for premature Cy Young thoughts called July and August! >>

image >>

I agree, back on May 8th I predicted he would win 15-20...now if he doesn't blow out his arm he could be the first Indians pitcher with 20 wins since Gaylord Perry.....or at least I beleive it was Perry who did it last.

Lee has been one of the few bright spots for Cleveland this year.......along with Grady

Goose, are you from the Cleveland area??? just curious I live out in Parma.

al.
  • Options
    I'm down near Mansfield.

I have tix for next Weds game.

The Indians, as a team, play different when he's on the mound.
  • Options
    14-2 another win tonight......

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    he and Grady Sizemore are what keep me from slitting my wrists this season....
  • Options
    What? No bump after picking up win No. 15? I'll guess he ends up with 20 wins and barely wins the Cy Young over that Rodriguez guy.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    no reliever who comes in for one inning and gets a bogus stat like a save (the ones these days are given out like candy) deserves the cy young.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm down near Mansfield.

I have tix for next Weds game.

The Indians, as a team, play different when he's on the mound. >>

Goose sorry I didn't respond quicker....been busy with my kids, softball and summer basketball have me running all over the place.....glad to hear from another buckeye....did you ever venture to the Beldon Village Holiday Inn show in the past??? used to set up there for many years...until last spring when it got to be too much with the kids.

al.
  • Options

<< <i>no reliever who comes in for one inning and gets a bogus stat like a save (the ones these days are given out like candy) deserves the cy young. >>

agree!!!! plus Lee easily could have 3-4 more wins if not for the Indians brilliant relievers.....just last weekend they blew a four run lead for him...
  • Options
    Another win for Lee, who now stands at 16-2. Still, I think he might lose the Cy Young to that Rodriguez guy.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    I think Dice-K is 13-2 with an era under 3, but something drastic would have to happen for him to overcome Lee at this point.
  • Options
    K-rod doesnt deserve the cy young.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another win for Lee, who now stands at 16-2. Still, I think he might lose the Cy Young to that Rodriguez guy.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

I don't like the concept that a guy who has yet to pitch even 50 innings could be considered a Cy Young Award candidate. He's on the best team in baseball and Lee is certainly not.
  • Options
    This probably won't happen but what's the best record for a 20 game winner with regards to losses versus wins.....seem to recall Guidry one year being something like 25-4 is that the best??? I know that Roy Face when 18-1 as a reliever which I think is the best ever but what about 20 game winners?? anyone know? would be great for Lee to be 20-2 but like I said probably won't happen.
  • Options
    For a pitcher who won at least twenty (20), below are the best records:

1. Ron Guidry, 25-3;
    2. Preacher Roe, 22-3; and
    3. Roger Clemens, 20-3.
    4. David Cone, 20-3.

Most wins with two (2) losses? Greg Maddux, 19-2. And, like you said, most wins with one (1) loss, Roy Face at 18-1 (though Face was a reliever; pitched in 57 games that season and started none.) And most wins with no losses? Tom Zachary, 12-0 in 1929 for, of course, the New York Yankees.

/s/ JackWESQ

• Options
    Wow, Guidry must have been something else that year....I assume he was Cy Young winner??
  • Options
    Ron Guidry was the unanimous Cy Young award winner the year he went 25-3 and came in second to Jim Rice in the MVP balloting (352 points to 291 points).

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Another win for Lee who is now 17-2 with a 2.43 ERA. Maybe Rodriguez has no chance to win the Cy Young.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    hopefully K-Fraud finishes out of the top 10 image for Cy yOUng voting.
  • Options
    It's early but Cliff is already on his way to victory #18. 5-0 Indians!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>It's early but Cliff is already on his way to victory #18. 5-0 Indians!!!!! >>

I should have kept my mouth shut...it's now 5-3
  • Options
    10-3 now, so I'll go ahead and say it.

#18.

I got 2 tix for next Friday nite I'm thinking about selling.
  • Options
    Go Cliff!

Also, if Grady gets hot he has a shot at 40/40.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Was Gaylord the last Indians 20 game winner???? and before that was it Dick Donovan??? just curioius
  • Options
    I'm going to call it.......

19-2
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Unbelievable.

I traded my Friday nite tix for Saturday nite tix. Asdrubal bobblehead nite!
  • Options
    19-2. Hey, at least you know that when you sell your soul to the devil, you get your money's worth.

/s/ JackWESQ