Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Current Finest Set - Mint State Liberty Nickels

I have been working on my mint state Liberty Nickel set for almost two years. I found it incredibly difficult to find gem grades in all but the more common dates (regardless of price). I was fortunate to have had the chance to purchase the previous Frank Thomas finest set through Pinnacle Rarities. My current set is the best of my original pieces and the Thomas pieces. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who is interested in these beautiful pieces. I believe they are still greatly undervalued, and thus a reasonable investment opportunity as well as a great challenge to collect.

Take a look at the set and images. It is listed as the Typetone Mint State Liberty Nickel Set.

Cheers

Greg

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg, I was going to comment on this yesterday when I saw the set listed. I know that Frank was waiting for a 1907 to finish his set (saw ads in Numismatic News from him for many issues). Is this a tougher date, or was he just looking for the "right" one.

Also, this is a terrible series to collect, and everyone should avoid it like the plague until I get some more of them. image

I would love to see it though, especially if it lived in my safe.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

Congrats !! I keep thinking about trying these little gems, but type seems to keep me occupied.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg:

Those are sure pretty coins and the collection is most impressive. I think that one of the best features of the registry is that it allows photographs of coins. Greg's photographs are magnificant. Indeed, I think the only problem from Greg's standpoint is that his photos might inspire others to collect these coins, thereby making it more difficult (and more expensive) for him to upgrade! Of course, this is a double edged sword because such an increase in demand also would raise the value of the lovely coins he has already acquired...

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    Greg, a fine accomplishment and your next upgrade gives you the all-time finest slot!

I haven't looked at this registry before - since all of your coins show as recently
    added, does this mean you did not register until it was complete?

Nice photos, too - I really like the 1884 and 1912-S.

Ken

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a great set !
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Wow, congrats! Which is your favorite in terms of eye appeal, and is it photographed?

So... you wanna sell me some of your Ikes now? image
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

That's a beautiful set. I agree that many dates are difficult to find in higher grades. Mint state pieces have always been far more elusive than the proofs, and completing the set is a great accomplishment. Congratulations!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Hi All:

Thank you for the compliments.

Dbldie55:

Does the set qualify me to apply for membership in the Liberty Nickel Collector Society? The 1907 and 1908 seem to be the hardest 20th century dates. Mintage was very high and the total number graded is adequate, but there are very few gems or better proportionally. My guess is the need for high mintage might have led to quality compromises on the part of the mint. By the way the 1907 is the weakest coin in the otherwise superb Thomas set.

Mark:

Credit goes to Scott at Pinnacle Rarities for the photography. I could never hope to take such nice pictures myself.

Ken:

I had been working on this set for almost 2 years on my own and only had about 15 of the pieces. This was somewhat remarkable and also frustrating as I really was not very price sensitive (since I felt and still feel that these coins are very undervalued). I had planned to wait to complete the set before registering. I was fortunate to be able to buy the Frank Thomas set intact and thus complete my set overnight. The 12S and the 84 are the highlight toned coins. As good as the photos are, they still do not do justice. By the way as the majority of the coins were from the Frank Thomas collection, I am more than proud to share the all time finest slot with him. I can just imagine how hard it was for him to find all these examples.

Tad:

My favorite is the 12S in terms of eye appeal. It would be hard for any photo to fully capture the color. In terms of the IKEs, I am really in a quandry. My general view is that I should be trying to improve a set, or else consider a sale. With my Washingtons, I really didn't want to work on improvements so I decided to sell. As my first set, I really love the IKEs, especially the toned ones. However, improvements seem almost impossible as there are literally only 19 PCGS graded coins in existence that could improve my set. As far as I know these are all tucked away in collections comparable to mine. Of course, if you make one I need, make sure you call me before Dennis hears about it. image

Cheers

Greg
  • Options
    Greg congrats on a fine set of nickels.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Greg,

Congrats! Nice set and the pic's are great. I have finally finished my Proof Ike set in PR69DCAM (except for the 1974S Clad in PR68DCAM and it will be a while before I can update that one).

Again congrats,
    Larry
  • Options
    Congrats on a tough set. I gave up on finding gems and sold mine a year ago. Nice position to finish in. I agree they are undervalued.

Nice job.
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • Options
    Greg,

Nice set!! Was this the "stealth" set that you alluded to last summer?

Only about 200 coins in the upgrade pool, you started this one off with a bang. I know that it took me forever to find a single MS-65 Liberty Nickel for my Modern Type set, so I can imagine how hard it must have been to find a full set of them.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Keith:

Usually when I say things like "stealth set" that's a lot of the stuff you guys step in down in Texas. But, yes that is what I was referring to. Also working on another "secret set" that I hope to be able to soon revealimage

Greg
  • Options
    Stealth sets are interesting in that they pop up and make a major upset in one of the categories. How many people are willing to say they are working on a stealth set? We won't ask what series!image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Cameron,

I have multiple stealth sets in progress. No sense listing them until they can make an impact. image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Major congrats are in order for taking on a difficult series like these and sticking to it until it's complete.image
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.