Home Sports Talk
Options

Miguel Tejada: Good Guy....almost Ruthian!

gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭
With all of the age/name issues that he is going through, I have to say that Miguel Tejada stepped up today and whether it be by luck or otherwise, he made a young fan of the game very happy. I'm watching the Brewers' broadcast of their game against the 'Stros tonight and they just told a story about what Tejada.

As some may know, Citgo donates $10,000 to the Muscular Dystrophy Association for every homer hit by the the Astros at Minute Maid Park. Well, two young boys with Muscular Dystrophy got to throw out the first pitch. Tejada caught one of those pitches and told the little boy that he would hit a homer for him TONIGHT. One of his teammates suggested that he just dedicate his next homer to the young boy and Tejada said, "no, I will hit one for him tonight." Sure enough, in the 6th inning, Tejada put one in the center field seats.

Good job, Miguel...or whatever your name is.

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    +1 for the good guys.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I heard he also banged a 15 year old country singer....
  • Options
    Too bad the "good guys" aren't so good. Yeah, Tejeda is such a good guy. He is a liar and a drug user. What a role model.

Stown, RESPECT? You want to talk about losing respect? You are going around supporting a lying drug user, cheat, and rapist in Roger Clemens. For every kid that dies of roid use, it is partly on Clemens and his supporters shoulders(i.e. YOU). For every dope who looks up to Clemens and follows his lead and cheats on his family and rapes young girls, it is partly on him and you(his supporter). You want to talk about respect? You are on here countless times supporting this fool(which is basically supporting his actions).

You talk about my comments coming back to haunt me and my family? How about if you ever find a girlfriend, and have a daughter...then some 28 year old man takes here from you at age 15...or if you have a son and he gets involved in drugs because you supported that piece of garbage? I hope you delete all your posts supporting this clown, so that your future kids don't see them.

Respect? Get some, before you question mine.

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad the "good guys" aren't so good. Yeah, Tejeda is such a good guy. He is a liar and a drug user. What a role model.

Stown, RESPECT? You want to talk about losing respect? You are going around supporting a lying drug user, cheat, and rapist in Roger Clemens. For every kid that dies of roid use, it is partly on Clemens and his supporters shoulders(i.e. YOU). For every dope who looks up to Clemens and follows his lead and cheats on his family and rapes young girls, it is partly on him and you(his supporter). You want to talk about respect? You are on here countless times supporting this fool(which is basically supporting his actions).

You talk about my comments coming back to haunt me and my family? How about if you ever find a girlfriend, and have a daughter...then some 28 year old man takes here from you at age 15...or if you have a son and he gets involved in drugs because you supported that piece of garbage? I hope you delete all your posts supporting this clown, so that your future kids don't see them.

Respect? Get some, before you question mine. >>

Hey, pal, move on. Tejada did something great for a kid who is afflicted with a terrible disease. The rest, take it off my thread.
  • Options
    Tejeda made a nice gesture to the young person. What he needs to do now is help rectify the problem he helped create that contributes to the demise of healthy young people.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    What he needs to do now is help rectify the problem he helped create that contributes to the demise of healthy young people.

what is this demise? steroids hgh? like to see the stats of steroids hgh. compared to coke drinking pot heroin etc...? in young people that leads to a demise. roids hgh arent as bad as the media makes them out to be!

taken the right way they can be good for you. we elected 2 governers who are known roid abusers. there is gonna be alot more research done on this in the next 10 years.

id rather have my family members do hgh then cocaine or drink and drive etc..
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice gesture by Tejada image
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Too bad the "good guys" aren't so good. . . >>

For everyone who dies from smoking or drinking, how much of the blame falls on George Burns and Mickey Mantle. Everyone who uses drugs makes their own decision; everyone who stays away from drugs makes their own desicion. To suggest otherwise is an insult and helps to take away the idea of personal responsibility. And Tejada has yet to fail a drug test, so if he has stopped using drugs, that is certainly positive
    Tom
  • Options
    TomG,

You don't have to drink to keep up with others. You do have to do PED's to keep up with the crowd in baseball though.

We are also talking about impressionable young people here. For any young person who is an aspiring baseball player that has health problems as a result of PED's, then MLB(and especially the 'heroes' who have done them) have a part in the blame for that cuase.

Sure, personal responsibility has a partial blame, so does parenting...BUT THAT DOES NOT ABSOLVE MLB FOR THEIR PART IN THE WHOLE MATTER. It is still a part...not the only part, but certainly a part of the blame.

• Options
    Actually, MLB might have done a good job of showing that you shouldn't take steroids until late 20s or later. The ones who gained the most took that path. Of course, kids (like adults) often do dumb things no matter what the evidence suggests. In some ways it is sad that people so often have to do unhealthy things to reach the elite level is sports, whether it is illegal drugs or arm surgery at 22. Baseball does have a much shorter history of drug use than many other sports and in such a short time they have made their sports drug use more transparent than any other sport with a much longer and greater history. In a lot of ways that does a lot to help the health of future athletes

Also, Tejada himself was in the position of use drugs or lose your job to an athlete who does. He is as much a victim as an enabler
    Tom
  • Options
    Athletes (youth-athletes included) also make huge impressions on adults all over the world. I would find it insulting if I made the decision at any age to not break the law in exchange for missing a professional sports career and credit was given to all the drug free athletes I had never met.
    Tom
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Miggy is a true class act.

+2

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>TomG,

You don't have to drink to keep up with others. You do have to do PED's to keep up with the crowd in baseball though.

We are also talking about impressionable young people here. For any young person who is an aspiring baseball player that has health problems as a result of PED's, then MLB(and especially the 'heroes' who have done them) have a part in the blame for that cuase.

Sure, personal responsibility has a partial blame, so does parenting...BUT THAT DOES NOT ABSOLVE MLB FOR THEIR PART IN THE WHOLE MATTER. It is still a part...not the only part, but certainly a part of the blame. >>

If you extend this argument backwards you will end up saying that everything is Eve's fault since every sin started with the apple in the garden. Since then we've all been looking to shift the blame to someone who we saw do it first ever since. It's a cop out to assign the blame of our failures to other people and to do so implies philosophical laziness, weakness of character, and a clear decision to surrender all claims to free will.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do kids nowadays really look up to these athletes as role models anymore though? I think kids get more knowledge on bad things and our more succeptable to copying TV/music and the internet more than athletes behavior, I think back in the day ( Pre video game and internet days) kids were more into sports and didnt have as many things to look up to except their favorite player. Im not saying its a free pass to do as you please without spreading any negative influence but I dont think its as bad as most people think.