Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1944-P/P overpunched Jefferson nickel

BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
Does anyone recognize the variety of this doubled mint mark on a 1944-P war nickel?

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have one, it is one of the RPM's (no sh*& you say). I don't know which off the top of my head. check the Coneca web site and do the diags on it.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I would not characterize that as a doubling. Maybe minor die deterioration/seperation, leaving a slice of the coin metal as a result.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Its an RPM, there are a jazillion different ones in the war jeff series. Did you buy that off of Ebay? I was selling that variety a few years ago. I had half a roll of them graded as MS66
  • Options
    Over-punched?

You mean re-punched mint mark, right? image
  • Options
    Griv, if you don't know what your looking at, maybe best not to comment...

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Griv, if you don't know what your looking at, maybe best not to comment..."
    image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    That is RPM-003, one of the nicer ones.
  • Options

<< <i>Griv, if you don't know what your looking at, maybe best not to comment... >>

An overpunch refers to a different mint mark. Put the weed down.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is RPM-003, one of the nicer ones. >>

I agree looks like a MDS got a full coin pic of the coin
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice example of this RPM and nice pic alsoimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Griv, if you don't know what your looking at, maybe best not to comment... >>

An overpunch refers to a different mint mark. Put the weed down. >>

That's a minor error of semantics, and it was still a heck of a lot closer than "minor die deterioration/seperation, leaving a slice of the coin metal as a result."

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone recognize the variety of this doubled mint mark on a 1944-P war nickel?

image >>

This book probably recognizes several.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

An overpunch refers to a different mint mark. Put the weed down. >>

That's a minor error of semantics, and it was still a heck of a lot closer than "minor die deterioration/seperation, leaving a slice of the coin metal as a result."

Sean Reynolds >>

What are you, BM's mom or just a BM?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone recognize the variety of this doubled mint mark on a 1944-P war nickel?

image >>

This book probably recognizes several.

I would recommend " The Jefferson Nickel RPM Book an attribution and pricing guide" by James Wiles
    a much more comprehensive reference for RPMs and in conjunction with the book leo recommended you have the Jefferson variety basics pretty well covered..

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Well put seanq.

Griv, in the words of the great one, Wayne Gretzky, "you talk too much!"
  • Options
    Griv,

No offense, but can't you just say "I don't know it all and I was way off, nice coin!" Your attacks on others and defense of your obvious wrong answer isn't going to get you much credibility here, MS-70 moderns or not. You are not a die variety guy and that is okay, no one knows everything.

I would not characterize that as a doubling. Maybe minor die deterioration/seperation, leaving a slice of the coin metal as a result.

That is the most un-informed answer I have heard all month. That is a RPM if one existed.
  • Options

<< <i>Griv,

No offense, but can't you just say "I don't know it all and I was way off, nice coin!" Your attacks on others and defense of your obvious wrong answer isn't going to get you much credibility here, MS-70 moderns or not. You are not a die variety guy and that is okay, no one knows everything.

That is the most un-informed answer I have heard all month. That is a RPM if one existed. >>

Excuse me, but let me recap for you my friend. I am a bullion and late modern coin collector. I have NEVER EVER posted that I know CRAP about anything prior to 1986. I am posting an opinion so why is it necessary to single my comments out and hold them up to discredit me? I am always the first to admit when I am FOS so taking cheap shots like this is a discredit to the forum and to me, if that matters.
  • Options
    Cheap shots?? I am just stating my opinion?? You were wrong and this is obviously an RPMimage
  • Options
    sure is a lot of drama for an RPM
  • Options
    jfoot13, you know how us Jefferson variety collectors get!
  • Options

<< <i>jfoot13, you know how us Jefferson variety collectors get! >>

I do... you'll never know how hard it was for me not to post a pic of my 43/2 and ask if this was the same " minor die deterioration/seperation, leaving a slice of the coin metal as a result."

• Options

<< <i>Cheap shots?? I am just stating my opinion?? You were wrong and this is obviously an RPMimage >>

<< <i>Cheap shots?? I am just stating my opinion?? You were wrong and this is obviously an RPMimage >>

Excuse me once again. I am often wrong, but I take offense at your comments. You are a mean-spirited individual and have zero respect for others. Do you want me to admit I don't know crap here? Okay, BH/BM, I DON'T, so there you go. Do you take pride in being a moron?
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I do... you'll never know how hard it was for me not to post a pic of my 43/2 and ask if this was the same " minor die deterioration/seperation, leaving a slice of the coin metal as a result."

image >>

Better yet, you could have posted a pic of a 1955 Doubled Die and been told "great separation on the second strike".

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Better yet, you could have posted a pic of a 1955 Doubled Die and been told "great separation on the second strike".

Sean Reynolds >>

Sean Sean Sean......

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file