Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beautiful coin, but worth over 3.5x retail???

13»

Comments

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    Excellent response from HLRC. I find that particular example of the 1808 to be in the "upper tier" of what surfaces. Using the greysheet, and not that long ago, the Coin Values magazine to price copper, just doesn't work. At least not very often anymore.

Add the inconsistencies with the TPG grading of this stuff and what you are left with is a very difficult task for someone "outside" the copper circles to make a real assesment of value.

The stuff that is "choice" for the grade, well you can name your price to a certian degree on some of it. The term "choice" in half cents or large cents is a completely different story than "choice" in other series out there. In a number of other series, someone can have a five deep stack of "choice" for the grade examples of the same issue on their table. Good luck walking a bourse and finding duplicate "choice" coins of the same issue in a series like half cents. Aside from a few dates, that just doesn't happen much.

I have never purchased from HLRC but have admired his coins on the site and in person at shows. I spoke with MR.HLRC and MRS. HLRC at the last EAC convention if memory serves me. Very nice folks with very nice invetory.

Gecko, I don't mean this to be a hit, but you really have no idea what you're talking about -- as both the DBH and bust half cent examples have shown. Perhaps you should lay off labeling dealers as greedy or questioning their motives until you understand what a exceptional coin looks like and the correct prices to be paid for such coins, or at least be more accepting of the words of the more experienced collectors who are trying to share with you their experience and perspective. Respectfully...Mike

I would have to agree with the gentleman above. In fact, I would encourage you to attend the coming EAC/JRCS convention and get a feel for this stuff. Oh, and thanks for returning the favor, your funny too. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file