Home U.S. Coin Forum

A bold 2005 D 5c Ocean View DDR

I search for and collect 2005 Ocean View nickel varieties -- and I keep my eye on eBay for any new ones. A few days ago, a pretty significant one turned up. It is a business strike and one of just two known varieties from the Denver mint. It also happens to be one of the boldest ones found to-date. Here is the link:

Listing Link

The seller must have found quite a stash of these -- he listed 10 of them and when they sold out (including a few I bought), he listed another 10 at a slightly higher price. One of the first buyers was a CONECA attributor. He has seen the coin in-hand and upon his initial examination, has confirmed it to be a DDR. The source of the doubling appears to be branches on the upper-right side of the tree -- so the offset/spread is pretty huge. Compared to some of the best of the 2005 MN "Extra Tree" varieties, this one appears to have them beat - in terms of the amount of doubling.

Coming on the heels of the many 2005 MN and OR 25c DDR discoveries - and right before the presidental dollar errors, the OIV DDR Nickel series (see Wexler OIV 5c Listings) has pretty much been overlooked and only has a small following. I happen to like them and thought this one worth sharing.
-----
KR

Comments

• mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I have not seen that one either. image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image

• << <i>I have not seen that one either. image >>

With most of the DDRs coming from the Philly mint, there has not been much reason for West Coasters to search their OIV nickels for varieties. Now, at least - there is something signficant to search for.

Out here on the east coast, OIV nickels have pretty much dissapeared from circulation. I get and search batches of circulated nickel rolls on a reagular basis -- and a few years ago, I would get 2 to 5 OIV nickels per roll. Now I'm lucky to get one OIV nickel in a batch of 10 circulated rolls. Being a 1/2 year only design, I guess they are getting plucked out of circulation and are sitting in jars on the dresser. This makes it a little hard to find new ones.
    -----
    KR
  • Are some OIV nickels gold plated? I got one as a free gift from savoncoin and it's very attractive.

• Probably just about every modern coin has been gold plated and/or colorized by someone or another. They are not my 'cup of tea' - but someone must buy them - so they keep getting made. I have often wondered if any good varieties get ruined in the process. I imagine so.
    -----
    KR
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    How many different varieties do you have ?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Between the three mints how many ocean varieties have been found?

• << <i>How many different varieties do you have ? >>

I've managed to find or buy 45+ different varieties in the 2005 Ocean View series (P, D, and S). Many are minor -- but a couple of them are naked eye visible -- which is pretty amazing for the 'single squeeze' era. There are a few really good varieties I don't have yet and I'd really like to get them. So I'm doing what ever I can to keep interest alive. As I said above - they are getting tough to find in circulation. So the only chance I may have at getting the ones missing for my collection is if other people find and list them. One particular variety has eluded me for over 2 years - and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get my hands on one.
    -----
    KR
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How many different varieties do you have ? >>

I've managed to find or buy 45+ different varieties in the 2005 Ocean View series (P, D, and S). Many are minor -- but a couple of them are naked eye visible -- which is pretty amazing for the 'single squeeze' era. There are a few really good varieties I don't have yet and I'd really like to get them. So I'm doing what ever I can to keep interest alive. As I said above - they are getting tough to find in circulation. So if the only chance I'll have at getting the ones missing from my collection is if other people find and list them. One particular variety has eluded me for over 2 years - and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get my hands on one. >>

Wow that is a lot of varieties. It seems there are more of these than on the series I collect from the early 1800's where the process was less refined. Of course there are a couple million more of these than the several thousand minted in my series. image

• << <i>Between the three mints how many ocean varieties have been found? >>

Brian Ribar's "Wexler Listings" has 74 -- 1 Denver, 10 S (Proof), and the rest Philly and are evenly split between "Satin Finish" (Mint Set) and business strike coins. I know CONECA has at least one or two not listed by Wexler - so the total known may be a little higher.

Once you get the branch design down, they are pretty easy to spot. Even my 9 year old daughter found a few new varieties. She likes to hang out with dad and search coins -- which is a pretty strange thing for kids these days.
    -----
    KR
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I found quite a few like that back when they came out. I know because the trade mark doubled leaf above as well as what hes calling and extra branch. I saw that as chatter. They are sitting in a jar besides a box of about 20 obw rolls yet to be looked at.

however, my eyesight has become worse with age and health reasons, so I doubt I will ever be searching rolls again.

sucks cause I really used to enjoy roll searches, I used to be able to see a date on a linc unaided, now I need a huge
    spyglass image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

• << <i>Wow that is a lot of varieties. It seems there are more of these than on the series I collect from the early 1800's where the process was less refined. Of course there are a couple million more of these than the several thousand minted in my series. image >>

When you add the OIV 5c varieties to the 200+ 2005 MN and OR 25c varieties, there was certainly a substantial number of varieties cranked out in a short period of time. In discussions with other die variety collectors, we have a theory on why this is... More than any thing else, I think it has to do with the fact that these are one year only and 1/2 year only designs -- AND -- the doubling can be easily mistaken for part of the original design. It took 6 months for the first MN 25c DDRs to turn up. A few months later, the OR 25c varieties were discovered -- and it took nearly a year for the first Ocean in View 5c DDR variety to get listed. In fact, I know at least two DV pros examined a 2005 OIV DDO -- and did not catch the DDR on the reverse. If we DV hunters had so much trouble "seeing" the doubling - I imagine the same is true for mint workers. If you don't have the branch design memorized -- then you just can't see what is doubling and what is not.

The frenzy is over for most of the 2005 varietes -- but there are still a few of the major ones selling for significant premiums. So just like key RPMs - I think some will continue to be highly collectable -- while the more minor ones can be had for cheap.
    -----
    KR
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked the three in my change... no luck...image Cheers, RickO

• << <i>One particular variety has eluded me for over 2 years - and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get my hands on one. >>

Which variety is that? Can you offer a photograph?
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    We have found just about all of the Satin Finish P mint Ocean in View / Western Waters DDR's and even discovered a few new Variety's that are listed. Some day we will get around to putting some of them up for sale.

• << <i>

<< <i>One particular variety has eluded me for over 2 years - and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get my hands on one. >>

Which variety is that? Can you offer a photograph? >>

The particular variety in question is the 2005 P Ocean in View CDDO-001. Of the major attributors, only Billy Crawford has seen it. Although it is not as impressive as some of the major DDRs, what makes this one unique is that it is the same obverse die as the 2005 P Bison 5c CDDO-001 (CONECA DDO-001). There is a key 'die gouge' marker on Jefferson's forehead for this variety. And since it is the same die, the marker exists on both the Bison and OIV versions. Here are the CONECA photos of the DDO...

CONECA - 2005 P Bison 5c SMS - DDO-001

The Bison reverse version of this DDO has been found by many individuals and frequently appears on eBay. But at some point, the Mint switched out the reverse dies and the same obverse was mated with an Ocean in View reverse. As far as I know, this is the only U.S. DDO that has two different reverse designs. But the OIV reverse appears to be much harder to come by. I only know of two people who have found them - and neither would sell me one. I'm sure I'll get one some day -- but it may take a lot of WJ nickel set cherry picking.
    -----
    KR
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, we have quite a few 05 WWJ sets as well as tubes of the SF coins from them when we did some Proof nickel submissions. I'll have to take some time and search through them, wish me luck !!!!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin.

I checked out the OIV Page you supplied and had a thought.

Since Obverse and Reverse dies do not necessarily get changed out simultaneously, I wonder why the attributers for the OIV DDR continue to point out Obvserse die markers? image

Just a thought.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I love DD's probably more than the next guy, I own a boat load of different ones have even had a few Wexler discoveries to my credit, but I just don't get exited about these or the tree state quarter doubled dies. Sean - what am I missing?

• << <i>Cool coin.

I checked out the OIV Page you supplied and had a thought.

Since Obverse and Reverse dies do not necessarily get changed out simultaneously, I wonder why the attributers for the OIV DDR continue to point out Obvserse die markers? image

Just a thought. >>

The switching out of a die would be considered a stage. I have two examples of the 1968 D 1c DDR-001 -- each having a different obverse die. If you look the item up on the CONECA Master Listings page, you will see that one of the stages is an obverse die change.

So - the markers listed for any DDO/DDR only represent a stage. Some markers wear away -- or are added by mint workers polishing the die, etc. In the event of a die switch on the opposite side of the variety, the markers can tell you which die you have.
    -----
    KR

• << <i>I love DD's probably more than the next guy, I own a boat load of different ones have even had a few Wexler discoveries to my credit, but I just don't get exited about these or the tree state quarter doubled dies. Sean - what am I missing? >>

You are not alone. I've had others say the same thing. In fact -- I have felt the same way about some of the microscopic specs of extra rock or tree that have got listed (even some of my own discoveries). The tilted hub doubled dies - involving only the very center of the coin are different from those that involve rim lettering/dates - and it stands to reason that they would not be to everyone's liking. They are not the 'traditional' doubling that you see on earlier issues of US coins.

But what I like about them is that some of them are pretty darn bold -- and for most 'single squeeze' era die varieties, bold and easy to see is pretty hard to come by. WDDR-012 and WDDR-043, for example have a huge offsets from the source of the doubling and are deep and bold extra bumps of metal. In contrast, most of the 2006 P 1c DDO discoveries, involving the date and LIBERTY - are very minor and require significant magnification to see.

Everybody has their specific interests in this hobby. There are certainly areas that don't interest me. We should all collect what we like.
    -----
    KR

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file