Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where to buy bullion?

Hi Everyone My name is Steve and I am brand new to the forum Hi Everyone My name is Steve and I am brand new to the forum. I have been buying gold since I was a kid, but unfortunately after college I played the stock market and suffered dearly, so after a 15 year hiatus I am back in the game! It seems that the places I used to buy coins do not exist and there are a bunch of new faces in the industry. I want to start off buying bullion Gold or silver, and I came across Apmex on the internet. They have a very nice selection, but I did not understand why when I look at the price, and I go to the checkout I get a different price. It looks like there are added fees when you buy from them. So I guess I have two questions. First has anyone bought from them, and second how do the fees work, and is that common with most bullion companies. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Apmex is not the most economical way to buy bullion. I would check local flea markets for 90% silver, which you should be able to pick up below melt. Coin shows are a good source for gold at about spot.

Edited to say welcome aboard!
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    BST there is a lot of silver 90% and bullion ASE's for as close to melt as you are going to get

Sorry I forgot you were a new member...Go to the buy sell trade forum on this site

image to the madness
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Steve, and image

I haven't bought from Apmex, but they've had positive reports on this forum. I tend to buy from Tulving.com, and I've bought from Gaithersburg Coin Exchange in the past with no problems.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

If you mean the shipping/handling fees from Apmex, I too think they are a little high relative to other places.

I've heard good things about Kitco, but have not purchased there.

I like Silver State because they are closer to where I live.

Then, there is the Master List of websites.

You've come to the right place for information of all sorts.

imageimage
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

About BST but I have never bought there. Ebay is another source close to spot, but you have to watch feedback and use Paypal for the safest experience.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    if you're looking strictly for bullion then Gainesville coins. is a good one. I believe their banner appears from time to time on top of the page.

As far as playing the stock market, leave that to the geniuses. If you're going that route stay with mutual funds. And YES, you will many times lose out if your plan is to make money quickly. Stocks in the form of mutual funds are best bought when looking at the long term.

Gainesville coins

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I buy from this seller almost weekly and have always been very pleased his prices run slightly higher
    than spot. I just bought the Bald Eagle proof dollar and Half dollar almost 9 dollars under issue price
    check him out (Coll3ctor)
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Thanks For the warm welcome and the quick responses! This forum is great! I really appreciate all the info and will check into all the dealers mentioned and let you know how I make out
    Thanks!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    how much you want to spend(buy)??

do you have any of that gold left?

are you trolling?

good answers above...

and....

• Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭
    The fees an apmex are only higher if you use a credit card. Pay with a check. I found their shipping cost to be fair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file