Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Nolan Ryan Rookie Card For Sale

I've decided to put my Nolan Ryan rookie card for sale.

1968 Topps #177 graded BVG 4.5 VG-EX+

A scan of the card can be found on my website at...

http://www.freewebs.com/cassidyssportscards/

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    How much?

Steve

also could you send me a scan of the back?

or describe it?

thanks
    Good for you.
  • Options
    $239 delivered. Includes insurance and delivery confirmation. PayPal OK.

• Options
    ohhh.....thanks.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough sell when PSA 6's average $260
  • Options
    Gentlemen ---

If you can find another Nolan Ryan rookie card graded 4.5 VG-EX+ or higher (PSA, BVG, or SGC) that's listed at a selling price less than $239, by all means, please post it up with a link in this thread.

I checked out the web though GOOGLE and couldn't find one advertised for a lower price. But I certainly welcome you to search and find one if you can and post it here.

Thanks!

• Options
    Maybe not advertised, but definitely finished lower.

PSA 5 - $214.26

PSA 5 - $209.26

PSA 5 that received no bids, but could have been had for $229.00

Edited to add PSA 5 to the last link.
  • Options
    4's usually go for 150.00 or thereabouts.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The last five PSA 4's have averaged $170, and the last five PSA 5's have averaged $200

So, in theory, that puts a PSA 4.5 at around $185.
  • Options
    In other words, neither of you can find one Nolan Ryan rookie card graded 4.5 or higher presently advertised for less than $239 anywhere on the web...

• Options
    Yeah, thats it. Good luck with your card.

Edited to add: Yours in the lowest in the whole wide world. You should be swamped with PMs any minute now. Operators are standing by.
  • Options
    Apparently it is the lowest advertised Nolan Ryan rookie graded 4.5 or higher in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

Thanks for doing the research and confirming it guys. Oh, and by the way, thanks for the bumps. My site has been rocking with hits all night from the CU Forum. (Not everyone wants to play on eBay) I think I'll use your quote in my sig line:

Lowest vintage card prices on the web or anywhere in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD for that matter (according to nam812)...

• Options
    What do I care? I wish you make a million dollars. I don't care what about is in anyone's wallet but my own. Just know that when you try to push your overpriced cards here, you're gonna get called on it.
  • Options
    Hey nam812

I hear you calling it overpriced, but I don't see you putting up a comparable Ryan rookie for less. You must have one in your inventory of eBay auction cards. Pull out a 4.5 and offer it for $175. Let's see it. No?

Oh that's right, I made it easy for you. All I asked you to do was find any one Ryan rookie card 4.5 on the web advertised for less. But it wasn't possible, was it?

Don't hate on me just because I offer to sell direct and don't pay all those eBay fees. Some of us rather go old school than to give away our collections at auctions and pay the feeBay tax. But if corporate is the way you ride, it's cool. Just don't be cutting down others unless you can back it up by showing the same card advertised somewhere for less.

Fight the power...

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    SGC 60 240.00

That 1.00 savings makes it worth it!
  • Options
    Hey Blue Devil....Will you take $66 dlvd for your 1963 PSA7 #412 that you have listed?
  • Options
    Yankeeno7

Your link doesn't work. Not much of a point being made if we can't see the example. Let us know if you fix it.

• Options
    Don't hate on me just because I offer to sell direct and don't pay all those eBay fees. Some of us rather go old school than to give away our collections at auctions and pay the feeBay tax. But if corporate is the way you ride, it's cool. Just don't be cutting down others unless you can back it up by showing the same card advertised somewhere for less.

Mr. Blue Devil,

Are you saying you dont buy low on Ebay(paying all those Ebay fees you hate!) , pump up the price and then flip on these boards or in your store?
  • Options
  • Options
    There ya go

This could be a business opportunity for you to buy then sell for 329.00
  • Options
    March 9th High bidder on 1963 Topps #412 PSA7 cert#90508231 ON EBAY was Cassidysportcards. The auction closed at $52.51. That same card (remember he doesnt like the Ebay fees) is on sale in his store for $89.......................Just dont come on the boards bashing guys who use Ebay, when you do the same exact thing and then try to flip the cards on us for a healthy profit. I cant tell you how many times on this board I go thru the set registries and offer to give guys on the board for free, a card that I have a dup of that they may need. I dont expect anything in return. I am not saying to give away cards, but I am saying this board needs and has been somewhat of a "family" atmosphere. Most guys dont come on here every week peddling their overpriced stuff. How many threads have you started or replied to that werent about selling something? Probably not to many...... Just my 2 cents...............
  • Options
    Flintboy ---

Sure I buy cards on eBay if I come across a good deal. If people are giving away good stuff cheap, I'll take it. But I don't pay any fees to eBay when I buy. The seller pays all the fees to BIG AUCTION when they sell on corporate feeBay.

To answer your other question --- Yes, any card that I buy on eBay or anywhere else, I am always willing to sell. Every card in my collection has a price, and you can be sure that the price is always higher than what I paid for it. Do you buy your cards then turn around and sell them for less? Only a fool would do such a thing. I'm more than happy to keep any card in my collection if it can't be sold for a profit. We're talking Common Sense 101 here.

Regarding this Nolan Ryan rookie card, I handed the cash directly to the seller when I bought a couple of years ago. It's not an eBay card, if that was what you were wondering.

• Options
    .....MR BlueDevil......

I think all anyone was trying to point out to you was that if you lowered the price
    on your card you would have a much better chance of selling as then it would
    be in line approximately with what similar cards were selling for on ebay.....I don't
    think anyone is trying to take a smarty pants attitude, as they were, AT FIRST ANYWAY,
    just trying to help you understand why they thought your Ryan RC might be somewhat
    too high priced.

But, when you come back with a couple of those responses like "..........why don't you
    go ahead and put your Ryan RC up for sale, oh, wait a minute, you don't have one...."
    you are just putting people back a little bit that were just trying to help.

As a few have said, the boards are not JUST FOR SELLING your wares.....
  • Options
    Yankeeno7 ---

You are the first person replying to my post to make a sensible point.

OK, so you found an SGC 5 Ryan rookie card for $240. Ok, let's have a look - Oh, shipping is an additional $6 (mine is delivered). Seller doesn't mention insurance anywhere - you'll have to pay extra if you want that. Let's see, on $240, that will come to about another five bucks. Oops, eBay seller doesn't take PayPal. You have to send a check or money order. If the card never arrives or if you are not satisfied with the transaction, you have no recourse through PayPal. I, however, accept PayPal at no extra charge. PayPal is universally seen as a 3% value - let's call it $7.

So, when we total it up...

$240 list price
    $6 S&H
    $5 Insurance
    $7 PayPal offset

$258 for an SGC 5 vs. $239 for my BVG 4.5

It's close, but it's still not lower. But I tell you what - yours was a good effort. And in recognition of this effort, and because I agree that there should be separation for a half-grade, I will offer a $20 discount to any buyer who makes reference to the "Yankeeno7 Comparison Post" on the CU Forum. That's a $39 difference for a half-grade. So to all potential buyers out there, mention the "Yankeeno7 Comparison Post" and this beautiful Nolan Ryan 1968 Topps #177 Rookie Card graded BVG 4.5 VG-EX+ is yours for the price of $219 delivered, including insurance / delivery confirmation, and PayPal is accepted at no extra charge.

Did we have fun tonight or what !

• Options
    Copied from the auction....

Nolan Ryan Rookie Card

SGC 60 5 Excellent. The reverse is nice with no marks

Secure and insured shipping is $6

Makes it a bit closer to yours. Still, you are only talking a couple of bucks.

Paypal offset doesnt figure in to the final cost of the buyer so that is also mute.
  • Options
    And dont take me wrong BlueDevil. It's your card and you can charge whatever you like for it. It's free enterprise. I do applaud anyone who can make a few bucks and keeps prices competitive. I was just having some fun taking on the challenge.

Good luck on your sale.
  • Options
    Yankeeno7 ---

I appreciate the posts. Thanks for taking the challenge. You have been a worthy adversary. Good read also on the insurance. Not quite sold on the PayPal argument --- offering PayPal does supply the buyer with a service by providing a third party mediator, and in doing so, reduces the risk of purchasing from a complete stranger through the internet / mail.

Tell you what I'm gonna do --- I'll discount the card an additional $5 if the buyer mentions the "Yankeeno7 Comparison Post" on the CU forum. That's $214.00 delivered, insurance, del conf, PayPal, etc, etc. for a Nolan Ryan BVG 4.5 rookie.

KalineFan ---

Blah, blah, blah. You're not having any fun. Maybe I want an Economics 101 lesson from everyone telling me that lower price = faster sales. Maybe I just want to say, here's my price for a given card and for anything less I'll be happy to keep the card in my collection. But if someone takes that position, then we must round up the mob and beat down this person until their so bloodied they lower their price (got $25 out of me tonight, anyway). These boards are about people trying to best one another in trades and transactions, and that's fine, so let's just admit it. I get so tired of the self-righteous, pompous posts talking about how we all just send each other free cards and put flowers in our hair and run around singing songs like those hippies in the musical Godspell. Let's be honest for a change --- we buy and sell and trade and try to take a Johnny Wockenfuss 1983 Topps common card and eventually turn it into a 1909 T206 Honus Wagner card.

And if we're lucky we enjoy the hobby, make a few friends, and have a little fun along the journey...

• Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    that sgc 60 ryan is my listing and no problem with taking paypal. worried about not getting the card? lot's of transaction in that dollar range and higher and no problems with delivery. and yes, insurance is included in the shipping.
  • Options
    Alright - another country heard from.

So, as I see it, here's where we stand as of this moment in time:

You can get an SGC 5 Ryan rookie card for $240 + $6 S&H = $246 bottom line.

Or

You can get a BVG 4.5 Ryan rookie card for $214 delivered.

Let the buyers decide if $32 is worth a half-grade. I must admit, tough call.

That's enough for me tonight boys & girls. I'll let the west coast team carry it from here.

• Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I normally do not spam my listings here and only commented as you said 'if the card never arrived' and I took offense to that as the seller of that item.

I sold a bvg ryan rookie 4.5 last month for $195 and it was likely sheet cut. at least with SGC sheet cut cards are not likely.

good luck with your sale of the Ryan card and hope you find your buyer
  • Options
    What i didn't like about this whole situation was the statement that he was finally going to sell
    his Ryan rookie. Meanwhile it has been for sale on his site the whole time.

That is why I asked for a price. I figured it would be a tad lower then the website.

Is it also in his ebay store too?

Good luck with your sale.

Steve

edited to add: The website picture is bblluurry And I did ask for a scan of the back, for that money
    I'd like to know the reverse centering.

NOT hating here, I was interested in the card, until I saw the scan that is.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Really have to throw my .02 in here.

DUKE SUCKS!!
  • Options
    I always disliked Ferry, Laettner, and Hurley...
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    But that's not a 4.5! His 4.5 from BVG is leaps and bounds better than any 5 from more aceepted and trusted PSA or SGC. Remember, there isn't another advertised anywhere in the world for less!

With that thought process, I should offer my '48 Leaf Bednarik PSA 1 (MK) for $999.00 even though 2's and 3's without qualifiers can be had for less! But, there isn't another in the whole world advertised for less!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    BTW sport, do something about the quality of your scans. The Ryan images are horrible!

And I'm still swinging on this PayPal offset. Since when is the buyer responsible for a 3% offset and how can you add that to the final cost of a buyer? No need to answer this, it's rhetorical.
  • Options
    n other words, neither of you can find one Nolan Ryan rookie card graded 4.5 or higher presently advertised for less than $239 anywhere on the web.

Not sure why you felt the need to include me in that remark.

I never said I could or would try.

I simply was interested in the card.

Now I am not, you seem to weired for me to want to deal with.

next time confine your comments.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    This whole thread has made me happy about the PSA 5 Ryan I recently got off ebay for $182.50 shipped. Blurry picture and no "PSA" in the auction title let me get a real nice card on the cheap.
  • Options
    Working on 1975, 1977 Topps Baseball
    Also collect Ripken & cards of UNC Basketball players in UNC Uniform
    MSN Messenger: fins2left00@hotmail.com
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

That pic is my screen saver still. Poor Paula didn't know what hit him.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    so will you take $125 for the Ryan card?
  • Options
    I'd offer $126 and I haven't even seen it yet.....oh I forgot....blah blah blah....
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i will chime in with economics 102 which is time is money and 102a-greed kills.

you can hold onto that card until doomsday and may not get your price. so instead of making a profit you will have lost your investment in the card plus any chance to put that money into a more profitable venture.

many of us on this board overspend for cards, but to us that gives the pleasure of ownership and collecting. you don't seem to fall into a person who enjoys collecting. you enjoy flipping and trying to grind out a buck cutting whatever corners you can. i defy to meet someone who has never lost money on a deal in their life. sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses. TIME IS MONEY

this reminds me of a card i bid on about four weeks ago. i bid $999 and lost. the winner paid $1009. three weeks later he had it on ebay for $2500. to be honest it wasn't worth $1000 but i wanted it. it certainly was no where near $2500. i emailed and asked him what he wanted. his reply "a healthy profit". i offered him $1100 which was at least $80 profit after his postage for the card. i told him nearly 8% in three weeks was equal to over 100% for a year. i consider that a healthy profit. he never got back to nor did he sell the card. GREED KILLS.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Just be honest and say you want above market value for the card. Market value has been determined over the last few years and anyone with a vcp account can come up with dozens of examples of what the market has determined this card's value to be. You want more than that. Nothing wrong with it, but to say it's reasonably priced because there isn't one for sale at a lower price at this exact moment is just stubborn-minded and demonstrates faulty logic. There will be many 4.5-5.5's that will sell for less than your price over the coming months, so anybody with half a brain who doesn't need a 4.5 Ryan at this exact moment will pass on yours and wait for one at a better price.

Or, maybe everybody on this board is an idiot and you're a genius who thinks way above our heads.

• Options

<< <i>n other words, neither of you can find one Nolan Ryan rookie card graded 4.5 or higher presently advertised for less than $239 anywhere on the web.

Not sure why you felt the need to include me in that remark.

I never said I could or would try.

I simply was interested in the card.

Now I am not, you seem to weired for me to want to deal with.

next time confine your comments.

Steve >>

Steve,

You described the guy in a nut shell. I looked at his 48' Bowman Musial, and decided to pass at the price he wanted. He got all bent on it, too.

I would never buy a card from this guy. Just a different type of cat.

EDIT: spell
  • Options
    Wow - I knew putting my Nolan Ryan rookie card for sale would get some attention for the website, but had no idea it would be this wildly successful.

You people ought to take a look at yourselves and see what an angry mob you are on this forum. I mean, come on, all I did was put up my Ryan rookie card for sale at $239. I had searched the internet and could not find one listed for cheaper than that --- that's how I came up with the price. The onslaught of e-mails has made this the most popular post on the forum the past few days. The hate-filled posts and advice that people are offering, it's laughable.

First of all - I don't NEED to sell the card. I'm putting it out there to see if there are any takers at a given price level. When it was pointed out that an SGC 5 was also for sale at a delivered price of $246, I agreed to lower my BVG 4.5 to $214, just to make sure that it is clearly the lowest priced card in that category on the web today. I want to offer the card at a reasonable price --- I don't want to give the card away. I consider the lowest advertised price on the web to be reasonable.

Second, eBay auction prices do not make the market value. That is simply one segment of the market. Determining value by taking an average of all of the eBay auctions for a given card, undervalues your cards. There is another large market segment being the non-auction / non-eBay market segment. Every day people buy cards in card shops and from websites with fixed prices at pricing levels well above those of eBay auctions --- those don't get captured in VCP and other systems. I personally sell my cards successfully at prices above eBay auction levels. If I want eBay auction prices for my cards, I know where to find them. (But it's good to know that we have so many experts well versed in the the eBay valuation method.)

Third, I have to respond to Steve (WinPitcher) --- I've seen this guy posting on this site and he simply goes into hater-mode and attacks anytime he can't afford what someone is offering. Then, after instigating a situation, he goes back and edits his posts to tone them down and make himself seem like a reasonable person. Worse yet, he's an outright liar. For him to say that this Nolan Ryan rookie has been for sale on my site all along is simply an out-&-out lie. Anyone who previously visited my site prior to April 29 knows that I never had my Ryan rookie card posted or even displayed for that matter. For him to say that the reason he got angry was my comment that I had just decided to put the card for sale that evening when it had always been on my site, is simply an untrue statement. And Steve, I laugh when you say you were really interested in buying the card. Maybe you were interested at a price of $100 (who isn't). But I've yet to see you make a serious offer for a high-end card on this board.

Keep those replies coming!

[Edited to add link --- Can't forget that!]
  • Options
    Blue devil you have issues. First of all I did not 'edit' (change) anything, I may have added to a post that is all.

Please post what I changed, I'm sure for you to make that statement you have PROOF.

Also I don't recall saying you had this on your website ALL along (how would I know? I only visited your site that one time!

I said it was the same price as your web site.

Now put up or shut up.

I won't call you a liar, I'll just call you STUPID.

I await this PROOF that you have.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

Third, I have to respond to Steve (WinPitcher) --- I've seen this guy posting on this site and he simply goes into hater-mode and attacks anytime he can't afford what someone is offering.

dude I could buy and sell you all day long.

LOL anyone believe this crap?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    So I don't get accused of editing by some troll I'll post again, it seems I did say he had the Ryan on his site the whole time
    and I stand by that comment. How long was it there? Hell if I know I only visited that crappy site the one time.

Now if he wants to interpret 'whole time' as an amount of time that is his perogotive.

Oh and by the way I never said I was angry. I think you need a course in reading comprehension.

I never did see the reverse scan or get a description of it.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    edited: Thursday May 01, 2008 at 7:12 AM by BlueDevil

Pot meet kettle.

I see you 'edited' too.

.image

Actually I was hoping to see the reverse before I made my offer.

You for some reason are afraid to discuss that or show it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    John91CJohn91C Posts: 300 ✭✭
    Man all this for just a Ryan 4.5 I would hate to see what it was like if he offered a BVG 5 image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Hell if I know I only visited that crappy site the one time.

Me too! It will be my last, I'd rather pay Levi prices and deal with a decent human being.