Home Sports Talk

Perkdog, what happened this weekend?

I understand that Ortiz is out, but I can say the same about Kazmir being out since he OWNS the Sawx. Definitely a fun series to watch and I'm VERY happy that the Rays sent home 10,000 Red Sox fans that were pissed off after each game.

Yeah, I know we aren't going to hold up but it's fun while it's lasting. Here's to you tools that laughed and ridiculed when I said we had a SHOT at .500 this year if we're healthy.image (root beer of course image)

Comments

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I hope the Rays stay competitive this year, but we'll see. I will be real curious to see how many people show up their next home series against another team that's not the Red Sox or Yankees.

• << <i>I hope the Rays stay competitive this year, but we'll see. I will be real curious to see how many people show up their next home series against another team that's not the Red Sox or Yankees. >>

Next series is the Angels during the weekend. If they go 5-4 or better on this road trip, my guess is an average of 25K a game. If something like 2-7, probably back down to the typical 18-20K.

EDIT: Kazmir comes back this weekend to pitch at Fenway against the Sox. Should be interesting since he's coming off the injury, so I'm not going to guarantee anything. If he was 100% and in midseason form, you'd be seeing a performance similar to his 2 hitter last year.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened? The Rays out played the Red Sox. Buchholz left in too long by Tito...DUMB. Ortiz slides into first base DUMBER and our ace pitcher, aka Beckett got weezy and served up the tater. Why Francona stayed with Buchholz and Beckett beyond 7 is mystery to me.

I think Ortiz may need a shrink before this is over. The Red Sox were pathetic in the OBP for the series and deserved to be swept. A day off may help, but Toronto now in Fenway (as in they swept us earlier), could be a long week. What was he thinking when his synapse said "slide Papi, slide!". Now reinjuring his knee, not good for the team. I don't think the flu flowing through the players helped, no excuse, just fact.

Is it me, or does anyone else that's a Red Sox fan kinda cringe when Timlin comes in? He's hell on wheels with his trio of musical bullpen mates, but his pitching is getting beyond OLD. Time for Timlin to review his MLB retirement package. I predict he is toast after this year, if not before.

Gotta tell it like it is. We got our asses handed to us by the better team.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it me, or does anyone else that's a Red Sox fan kinda cringe when Timlin comes in? >>

been cringing for years
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for taking so long to respond Goot! I had to work a double today-thats two shifts combined equaling 7am-11pm..

What can I say? Your team is a brash bunch of youngsters with nothing to lose and they caught a Sox team recovering from the Flu!

No excuses though- you guys outplayed us and thats the bottom line! It will take more than a 3 game sweep in April on the road to get me really up in arms about this though- you guys need to do a little more to bring the emotions up to a Yankee/Sox level. image
    Oh and one more thing...

I SERIOUSLY think you have a shot at finishing 2nd in the division, and play above .500 ball.

• << <i>Oh and one more thing...

I SERIOUSLY think you have a shot at finishing 2nd in the division, and play above .500 ball. >>

image! ...and quoting Forest Gump, "That's all I gots to say about that."
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh and one more thing...

I SERIOUSLY think you have a shot at finishing 2nd in the division, and play above .500 ball. >>

2nd to whom? (asked the Yankee fan)

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh and one more thing...

2nd to whom? (asked the Yankee fan) >>

Just ask me Nick!

1-Sox
    2-Rays
    3-O's
    4-Jays
    5-Yanks

I like those standings!!!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    those standings look about right to me!!!!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Check the "Other" thread! Nothing to see here! image
    Figured I would bring this thread up for good times sake. image
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    We'll still kick any team's ass in a fight. image

<< <i>We'll still kick any team's ass in a fight. image >>

those four guys certainly did take care of Coco tonight. Meow.
    Why are we meowing?

<< <i>Why are we meowing?

>>

isn't that what the Rays' kitties do?

<< <i>

<< <i>Why are we meowing?

>>

isn't that what the Rays' kitties do? >>

Whatever you say, my statement was all in good fun.
    same here. Guys who have their catcher hold someone down while they take cheap shots are kitties IMO.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Crisp deserved what he got for charging the mound after getting hit on the hip. He got hit the way your supposed too and he is too much of a kittie to just walk to 1b.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    I honestly just saw it a minute ago. I missed the game today because I was at the MLB draft. I don't think that Navarro initial intention was to hold Crisp down for a group beating. I think it grew into that once Gomes got in the mix.

One question though, how do you guys put up with the losers that have jumped on the bandwagon? If there's one thing I can't stand in this world, it's the bandwagoners.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Chicken sh** AL Pitchers throwing at each other cause they know they don't have to hold a bat. You think you have a pair try that
    **** over here!

Sincerely,
    The NL

<< <i>Crisp deserved what he got for charging the mound after getting hit on the hip. He got hit the way your supposed too and he is too much of a kittie to just walk to 1b. >>

Deserved what he got? If you had any clue what the whole incident was started from you would understand why he charged the mound- he did not deserve to have that scumbag Johnny Gomes punch him in the head while he was under a pile and subdued- that is cheap shot crap and everyone knows it! Thankfully Gomes is a total idiot who doesnt know how to punch otherwise Crisp might have taken a beating.
    Kazmir owns Manny
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Chicken sh** AL Pitchers throwing at each other cause they know they don't have to hold a bat. You think you have a pair try that
    **** over here!

Sincerely,
    The NL >>

So what you're saying is that AL Pitchers are chickens because they throw at batters? Should AL Pitchers not throw at batters since they don't get to hit? Did you really think about what you were typing before you posted this? Does it make sense to you that AL Pitchers should tell their teammates that they can't stick up for them and play the game the way it's supposed to be played just because pitchers don't get to hit in their league?

Sincerely,

Logic
    P.S. It's nice to meet you.

<< <i>Kazmir owns Manny >>

500+ HRs = Nobody owning Manny

Thanks
  • Coco wanted to send a message about the way the Rays were blocking 2nd base without the ball. He did.
    The Rays wanted to send a message to Coco. They did.

Youkilis wanted to send a message to Manny about not coming on the field quick enough during the fight. He did.
    Manny wanted to respond. He did.

I want to go upstairs and have some cookies and cream. I will. And I may have 2nd's too.

<< <i>Youkilis wanted to send a message to Manny about not coming on the field quick enough during the fight. He did.
    Manny wanted to respond. He did. >>

Thats what that was about? I didnt know but was very curious.

<< <i>Deserved what he got? If you had any clue what the whole incident was started from you would understand why he charged the mound- he did not deserve to have that scumbag Johnny Gomes punch him in the head while he was under a pile and subdued- that is cheap shot crap and everyone knows it! Thankfully Gomes is a total idiot who doesnt know how to punch otherwise Crisp might have taken a beating. >>

What because someone blocked a bag which is debatable if it is against morale code of BB and he hurt his pinky? Didn't he try and break the ankles of Iwamura? He got a jammed finger and tried to break someones leg, then he got plunked in the thigh and tried to break his jaw so I see him getting what he deserved for overreacting like a moron.

EVERYONE except Red Sox fans has agreed and I will post about 50 articles if you want that Crisp should have walked to 1st. His comments after the game assured that there will be more to come as well.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

<< <i>

<< <i>Deserved what he got? If you had any clue what the whole incident was started from you would understand why he charged the mound- he did not deserve to have that scumbag Johnny Gomes punch him in the head while he was under a pile and subdued- that is cheap shot crap and everyone knows it! Thankfully Gomes is a total idiot who doesnt know how to punch otherwise Crisp might have taken a beating. >>

What because someone blocked a bag which is debatable if it is against morale code of BB and he hurt his pinky? Didn't he try and break the ankles of Iwamura? He got a jammed finger and tried to break someones leg, then he got plunked in the thigh and tried to break his jaw so I see him getting what he deserved for overreacting like a moron.

EVERYONE except Red Sox fans has agreed and I will post about 50 articles if you want that Crisp should have walked to 1st. His comments after the game assured that there will be more to come as well. >>

You can post as much of the subject as you want but the facts remain the same- blocking a bag when someone headfirst slides is more than just debatable-its wrong. Were not talking about a possible pinky injury, more like a possible head or neck injury. So he slides hard into second just like a player would breaking up a double play would for revenge- nobody was hurt end of story. The Rays wanted to keep it going (which Im sure Shields got the OK from his skipper to hit Crisp ) and that is bush league. And trying to break someones jaw? Its obvious your anti Red Sox mind forgets that Coco was unjustly beat on when he was down by a bunch of punks piling on! And as far as his comments after the game what would you have reccomended him saying? He was under a pile people were pulkling his hair and trying to gouge his eyes out! Whatever I dont expect you to see it from our point of view and thats fine. Were still the best team in baseball and the team to beat.

<< <i>

<< <i>Chicken sh** AL Pitchers throwing at each other cause they know they don't have to hold a bat. You think you have a pair try that
    **** over here!

Sincerely,
    The NL >>

So what you're saying is that AL Pitchers are chickens because they throw at batters? Should AL Pitchers not throw at batters since they don't get to hit? Did you really think about what you were typing before you posted this? Does it make sense to you that AL Pitchers should tell their teammates that they can't stick up for them and play the game the way it's supposed to be played just because pitchers don't get to hit in their league?

Sincerely,

Logic
    P.S. It's nice to meet you. >>

Its a lot easier to throw at a guy know that YOU won't be taking one of the team the next inning, but your teammate will. In the NL you have
    to grab a bat and wonder if a 96 MPH fastball is going to come at your head! THAT changes the game...I hope that wasn't too hard to
    understand!

JS
  • There is nothing wrong with blocking a base with your leg, every catcher does it. If a runner thinks they might risk injury, they should stop sliding in head first

There is nothing wrong with sliding in hard, feet first, that is exactly what the Rays were forcing Crisp to do. If an infielder things they might risk injury, they shouldn't stand in front of the base without the ball. Crisp did begin to slide before the ball arrived, not late like some are claiming
    Tom
    There was alot of debate on ESPN and in the news if blocking the bag with your leg was "morally" wrong, consensus I was able to obtain was that it is a good play if the throw is late. You think I am a Sox hater but I hate the Yankees much more, I am a whiner hater and Crisp is in the wrong about that play and charging the mound. I disagree that his slide didn't start late, he didn't even begin until about a foot before the bag and clearly wasn't trying to avoid a tag but to knock over Iwamura. Tom your right about head first slides, as alot of players injure themselves on the bag itself when sliding.
    Well its obvious that there are different views on this, and that is all well and good- thats why we are here to discuss/debate/gloat/argue/have fun.

Morgoth if in fact you are an impartial bystander then I respect you stating your take on it and we will agree to disagree.
  • What confuses me is the ESPN announcers said the slide was wrong, yet also pointed out it would have been perfectly fine on a double play attempt. I understand there is a difference in having to tag the base, versus tag the runner. But in both cases the infielder is standing there without the ball, having to focus on catching, rather than focus on the runner. Either that sort of slide is wrong no matter if it is a force play or not, or it isn't

Further that sort of slide happens all the time at home without anyone becoming upset

Even more confusing was that the team (and the TV announcers) needed prompting from the manager before they showed any signs of the slide being too hard
    Tom

<< <i>

Its a lot easier to throw at a guy know that YOU won't be taking one of the team the next inning, but your teammate will. In the NL you have
    to grab a bat and wonder if a 96 MPH fastball is going to come at your head! THAT changes the game...I hope that wasn't too hard to
    understand!

JS >>

Not having to wonder if you're going to get hit with a fastball might be nice, but AL Pitchers can't change the fact that the AL has a designated hitter so calling them chickensh**s for playing the game by the written and unwritten rules is like saying a boxer is a pansy because he wears boxing gloves.

Besides that, even in the NL it's not usually the opposing pitchers that get beaned because teams are smart enough to know that pitchers are rarely formidable hitters and if you hit them you're just giving up what would have been an easy out.
    I don't bash on players unless I feel it is necessary besides as Pirate fan I still root for Wakefield. It looked to me like Crisp had made his mind up to charge the mound regardless of how Shields hit him, I wonder if Shields would of lobbed it up there and hit Crisp, would he still have charged which would have been pretty funny.

If Shields would have hit Crisp above the shoulders then I would say Crisp was justified.

<< <i>

<< <i>

understand!

JS >>

Not having to wonder if you're going to get hit with a fastball might be nice, but AL Pitchers can't change the fact that the AL has a designated hitter so calling them chickensh**s for playing the game by the written and unwritten rules is like saying a boxer is a pansy because he wears boxing gloves.

Besides that, even in the NL it's not usually the opposing pitchers that get beaned because teams are smart enough to know that pitchers are rarely formidable hitters and if you hit them you're just giving up what would have been an easy out. >>

See that is an educated response to an illiterate sports poster such as Lil Kevie, nice work Von although you can expect a somewhat childish response from him and I would suggest you not waste your time.

Perkdog - that's good advice . . .

Morgoth - the perception seems to be that the Rays players were lined up at the top of the dugout steps before Shields plunked Crisp which says to me that not only did they expect a fight, they wanted one. Does that change how you view the situation at all? I'm just curious.
    Spoken like a true AL homer. How many times does a pitcher have to take a heater upside the head to think twice about hitting someone
    ever again?

Answer: only once!

JS
    So do you welch on bets because you know that no one is going to throw a heater at your head?

<< <i>So do you welch on bets because you know that no one is going to throw a heater at your head? >>

<< <i>So do you welch on bets because you know that no one is going to throw a heater at your head? >>

That was laim, so I guess I won that argument huh? ...next

js

<< <i>

js >>

What's lame is not knowing how to spell lame.

<< <i>

<< <i>

js >>

What's lame is not knowing how to spell lame. >>

ahhh..the English police...you might as well be, you know nothing about baseball.

js
    No because Crisp had to charge the mound for there to be a fight period. I am sure everyone knew he was going to be hit but if Crisp walks to first no fight so it's his fault.

<< <i>

Morgoth - the perception seems to be that the Rays players were lined up at the top of the dugout steps before Shields plunked Crisp which says to me that not only did they expect a fight, they wanted one. . >>

If you actually look at the replay, it appears that the Rays and Sox players both got out of the dugouts and met at the mound around the same time.

Stop trying to pawn the idea ,that the rumble was planned, off on the Greasers. Maybe the Soc's had a part in it too... image

<< <i>

<< <i>

js >>

What's lame is not knowing how to spell lame. >>

Point - TheVon