Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is 1989 Bowman considered a tallboy?

I FedEx'd 3 submissions last Thursday which were all logged in on Friday. Two of them were marked OK and the third is on Receive Hold. I called this morning and spoke to Peter in Customer Service and he told me that I mixed in multiple service levels in my order, specifically mentioning tallboy. There were only 15 cards on that submission and most are undersized cards (82, 83, 84 & 85 All Star Program inserts, 1991 Topps Micro, 1988 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball, etc.)...however I did have a 1989 Bowman Tiffany card on the sub. Could someone in processing think this is a tallboy?

Peter said he'd look into it and get back to me, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think they would be considered a tallboy. Aren't they the same size as the '53 and '54 Bowman cards? I have submitted those without having to put them on a differenst sub.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    If they have to put it in a different sized holder its a tallboy.

'89 Bowman would be a tallboy because it won't fit in the standard card holder.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I have seen them in a regular holder before many times.

Sample

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Hmmm...I keep forgetting that I have the 1989 Bowman Robin Yount slabbed and it's in a standard holder. I guess I could've answered my own question...thanks for the replies, though. I guess I just wait for the problem to work itself out.

Same size slabs...
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    My apologies - didn't realize anything bigger the standard cards went in that holder.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Why even bother grading 89 Bowmans anyway?

And why ask a question if your gona give somebody an attitude after?

If you already know the answer to a question, why ask it? It makes no sense!

You never have anything good to say, so don't expect me to.

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>Why even bother grading 89 Bowmans anyway?

And why ask a question if your gona give somebody an attitude after?

If you already know the answer to a question, why ask it? It makes no sense!

You never have anything good to say, so don't expect me to.

Giovanni >>

I'm sorry if my post came off as having an attitude, but I'm guessing you're the only one who thought so. It wasn't until I saw Mathew's response saying he's seen them in a standard holder that I realized that I had, too...and in fact own one.

Nice try, though, Gio. Save the smarmy for the pros.

Oh...and as for why I would "even bother" grading 1989 Bowmans........because I want to. At least my collection includes players I've heard of and know something about...as opposed to names on a list that you can't even pronounce. Of course, it's not my place to judge your collection...just as it isn't yours to judge mine.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean its not pronounced Dave Deeeboooosheeer?
  • Options

<< <i>You mean its not pronounced Dave Deeeboooosheeer? >>

Not the last time I checked. image
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Nice 89 bowman dawson PSA 8 image

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I didn't think Gumbyfan's response seemed smug. Also thanks to you Gio I can not even see a Dave DeeBoooSheer card without adding the word B**ches to the end of it. Proof positive that I spend too much time reading these boardsimage
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You mean its not pronounced Dave Deeeboooosheeer? >>

Not the last time I checked. image >>

You guys are the only 2 jerks on this board, and your mad because I put you on the spot when you mess around and put you back in your place, ya know.

First you ask a question, then you answer the man that way???

The other cry baby is mad because I told him to do his homework on the Set Registry forum, Linky

I'm only answering to you the way you do to me and many others here, thats all. I guess i'm going down to your level and being a jerk too. I say i'm being a jerk too because i'm doing this back and forth thing with you, and its not fair to others, so i'll try to stop image

And yes, I don't know how to say soem of the players names, and so what? Does everybody know how to say every players name? Sorry i'm not perfect like you(yeah right).

Cheers,

Giovanni
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    This could get ugly. I'm picturing a schoolyard brawl with Arnold Jackson against the Gooch and the Gooch's cousin from out of town. The world does not, in fact, move to the beat of just one drum. No sir.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    As I'm not a basketball historian, how might one actually pronouce his name?

Phonetically speaking.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>As I'm not a basketball historian, how might one actually pronouce his name?

Phonetically speaking. >>

dabusher
  • Options
    Dayv
  • Options
    I see. Sounds a lot easier than it presents itself.

Thanks Nick.
  • Options

<< <i>Dayv >>

I actually laughed out loud on that one.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>This could get ugly. I'm picturing a schoolyard brawl with Arnold Jackson against the Gooch and the Gooch's cousin from out of town. The world does not, in fact, move to the beat of just one drum. No sir. >>

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Lee?

And, yes, I am ashamed that I was able to pick up on the Diff'rent Strokes reference so readily.

And, yes, I am even more ashamed that I know how to spell the show name properly.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are the only 2 jerks on this board, and your mad because I put you on the spot when you mess around and put you back in your place, ya know. >>

Well, if my place is making you look like a tool, then you've once again put me in my place.

<< <i>First you ask a question, then you answer the man that way??? >>

It's been established that you're the only one who thinks I was being rude. I guess if I put a dozen smiley's after every sentence, you'll not need a new diaper after reading my messages.

I'm sorry, Gio, that you soiled yourself over a simple non-threatening, non-sarcastic, very appropriate response from me. I will watch my newspaper for Depends coupons and if you PM me your address, I'll get them in the mail to you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I sense a reply...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>I sense a reply... >>

..........the force is strong with this one...
  • Options

I sense a reply without sense.
  • Options
    snorto- Are you also ashamed that you knew the guy who played the bike shop owner that molested Dudley was Mr. Carlson from WKRP in Cincinatti?
  • Options
    Gordon Jump. Damn fine character actor.
  • Options

No reply needed, people know whats what.

Maybe you edited your post, I don't know.

If you mess around, i'm gona let you have it, that simply. Your the one that brought this on yourself. Remember when I first came to this board and all your BS you were giving, like you do to many others, the only difference is I don't forget and I don't forgive image Ok ok, let me stop LOL

You two were jerks with me, and I will treat you as you should be treated, how you treated me and how you do to others, thats only fair right???

Giovanni
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Gary Coleman is ostensibly divorcing his wife of just eight months, Shannon Price.

The duo is keeping it classy and taking their marital woes to the small screen, having already taped an episode of Divorce Court set to hit syndication May 1-2.

Apparently Price, 22, can't cotton to Coleman's temper tantrums, announcing during the show that her 40-year-old mister "stomps the floor and yells, 'Meehhhh,' and starts throwing stuff around...He bashes his head in the wall, too."

Another gripe: Coleman prefers staying at home with his train set to taking her out.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Gio in all fairness to Gumby, he realized after getting some replies that he had a card already in a slab
    and was basically announcing to the forum that he should have known all along. At least that is how I took it.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    In unrelated news....

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

No reply needed, people know whats what.

Maybe you edited your post, I don't know.

If you mess around, i'm gona let you have it, that simply. Your the one that brought this on yourself. Remember when I first came to this board and all your BS you were giving, like you do to many others, the only difference is I don't forget and I don't forgive image Ok ok, let me stop LOL

You two were jerks with me, and I will treat you as you should be treated, how you treated me and how you do to others, thats only fair right???

Giovanni >>

• Options
    Steve, you're trying to reason with a little kid who gets a headache from 3 syllable words.
  • Options
    Anywaaaay. Off of the topic. Gumbyfan, who is that in your avitar?
  • Options

<< <i>Anywaaaay. Off of the topic. Gumbyfan, who is that in your avitar? >>

Dave Coulier, or "Uncle Joey" from the old sitcom Full House...

I still don't know why I chose it, I guess I just like obscurity.
  • Options

<< <i>Nick, Your T218 set is off the charts!!

Bob >>

Thank you very much Bob. It's coming along very nicely. Does your 1955 set have scans on the registry?
  • Options
    Mine does.

BTW Nick nice set I have checked it out a few times.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. I just looked at your 1955 set. Very nice Clemente, but the Koufax.....WOW. Do you know your Spahn has no scan?
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick, I dont have any scans up yet on my 55s, but I do plan on adding them. I agree with you also, Steves Koufax is incredible.
  • Options
    Some real egg on my face here...they weren't even questioning the 1989 Bowman Tiffany card as a tallboy. Apparently my 1986 Jays Potato Chips Disc is too wide for the standard holder, so they consider it a tallboy. Looks like my sub is about to get back on track.
  • Options
    Way to go dumbass. Everybody knows the Jays Potato Chip discs are considered tall boys. That's collecting 101. What are Jays Potato Chip discs?
  • Options
  • Options
    WOW. Do you know your Spahn has no scan?

Yes I just recently had is slabbed so I have not figured out yet how to resize with this piece of crap scanner.

I have the full set, just chose only to grade those cards or buy some already graded.

Steve
    Good for you.