Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

you think the yankees will retire # 21

I was wondering what everybody thinks about this . do you think the yankees will one day retire #21 for paul oneal. I ask this because of the way the yankee fans , including myself responded to Latroy Hawkins making his first appearence as a yankee wearing # 21. For those who didnt see what happened ,yankees fans were booing him yelling take it off ,your not paulie , needless to say he dropped the number and now wheres #22. post your thoughts

Joe
640K ought to be enough for anyone.
-Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

Comments

• Options
    The should!

Giovanni
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    If you retire a jersey for an above average player like O'neal I imagine there won't be many jerseys left to use.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>If you retire a jersey for an above average player like O'neal I imagine there won't be many jerseys left to use. >>

Above average player, yes, but he was also a fan favorite. If the fans demand it, I can see the Yanks doing it.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>If you retire a jersey for an above average player like O'neal I imagine there won't be many jerseys left to use. >>

They can start using 21B, 21C and so on image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Does anyone else find it amazing that the people who think a team should retire a number can't even spell the players name correctly?
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone else find it amazing that the people who think a team should retire a number can't even spell the players name correctly? >>

He spelled it correctly ! Paul and Shaquille are brothers.
  • Options
    no, why would they?
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    You also realize there soon won't be any single digits left, once Jeter (#2) and Torre's (#6) shirts are hung up.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Look, we can't retire every # of every above aveage popular player...there would be none left! Not only that, but it would take away some of the prestige associated with having your # retired. Paulie was great, a "warrior", but when I look at the #s on the out field wall, I just don't see Paulie fitting in.

Of course, I did and still do feel the same about Ron Guidry.
  • Options
    Never happen
    At least not for Paul O'Neill
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    They already have enough retired jerseys. Jeez, #8 has been retired twice for 2 different players (Dickey & Berr). I think Jeter will have his retired some day-but that's it!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they retire his then they would have to retire Bernie Williams and Scott Brosius too!

No way.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    They never retired Gerrig, Rooth or Dimajio, so I don't know why they would retire O'Neal.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I want to know is why did they give Clemens' number to Hawkins? imageimage

Clemens deserves to have his number retired alot more than O'Neill does!!!!! image

Steve
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    I don't feel they will or should retire it. He was a fan favorite but not that caliber type IMO.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    they shouldnt; he was good, but not "great"
  • Options
    LoL I'm sorry I spelled it Oneal like shaq I was thinking about the Suns Spurs game when I wrote this and had a brain dump . Big shaq fan ! Please forgive me image
    -Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

• Options
    That is an easy mistake to make , I find it funny that anyone would call someone on something like that . . . Come on
  • Options
    a bunch of english teachers here . and there out looking to correct every post.image
    -Bill Gates,1981

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record, LaTroy wore 21 for the same reason Carlos Delgado does: to honor Clemente.

• Options
    No, they won't retire his number. He was a very good player, and a fan favorite, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. If you retire his number, then you have to do Tino Martinez and Bernie as well. I loved watching him play, but I don't think he gets his number retired.
  • Options

<< <i>a bunch of english teachers here . and there out looking to correct every post.image >>

Amen to that! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>a bunch of english teachers here . and there out looking to correct every post.image >>

Imagine if someone pointed out that this topic has nothing to do with sports cards & memorabilia and should be on the sports talk forum instead... image
  • Options
    They should retire Horace Clarke's number too!
  • Options

<< <i>They should retire Horace Clarke's number too! >>

Don't forget Jake Gibbs & Roberto Kelly!
  • Options
    Yea, I highly doubt they will retire his number
  • Options
    let us not forget about Roger Repoz!Did I hear you say who? Exactley my thoughts about O'neill being forced into the lineup of Mantle,Ruth Gehrig,etc etc.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Jake Gibbs the Yankees did honor him with a day.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Yankees though must have retired a lot of different player's names because I watched a Yankees game the other night and noticed there were no player names on the Yankees uniforms.
  • Options
    You figured that out with your Penn state education did ya?

lol

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    They've retired too many number as it is. Paulie O was a damn good Yankee, but I don't see them retiring his number. They'd have to retire Bernie's too. Then before you know it you'd have Yankees wearing letters or symbols instead of numbers...because they ran out!!!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    lol they could use 3 digits.

or, they could do what Prince did a number of years back.

Steve
    Good for you.