Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Poor Showing for Hockey

I realize that being a transplanted Canadian it shouldn't surprise me that even in Chicago there is little representation of hockey collectibles but the Forum is a surprise. I only collect PSA Gretzky's and when I search Gretzky posts there is usually a lag of over 1 year. Any Gretzky Registry owners around here? How about in even Hockey sets?
Collecting Gretzky PSA 10 Regular Issue Cards Only.

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Have you read the Hockey HOF Registry thread? There's some interesting discussion there.

Sadly, hockey has a limited, albeit avid, fan base in this country. I used to be a hockey diehard back in the early 90's, but even though I was one of the few dealers (I no longer consider myself a dealer as I'm just a collector, now) who had any breadth of material and even then, I only had a few hardcore buyers.

Now, it seems that most that collect hockey collect either the inexpensive mainstream issues that represent a limited value with regard to future demand or they indulge in the high cost, high risk limited edition cards that fall like rocks when the player gets injured or performs poorly.

I guess I look at hockey, just as much of the dealer end of the hobby, as a pyramid system that when a card reaches a certain threshold, it becomes a hot potato. Aside from the few white elephants, and occassional HOF demands, there's just too small of a market to absorb the material.

Relatively recent star players like Bourque, Scott Stevens, Roy, Andreychuk, Gilmour, Lemieux, Hawerchuk, Francis, Goulet, and others should be treated like their parallels in baseball or football, but they are not.

It's a shame, but it's the reality of the hobby and of the sport. Heck, I still don't understand why Brodeur gets so little play, even though his RC is mass produced, he may go down as the greatest goaltender to ever play the game.
  • Options
    Agreed. Gretzky is one of the few dependable "investments." Even he is still open to fluctuations, see what happened when the betting scandal broke. I collect because grew up in Alberta in the late 70's and early 80's. So investment actually means investment in my memories. Few cards are a good monetary investment.

You're all over these forums. How do you only have 285 posts? I hope you don't just wait until stupid questions and straighten people out because I've had the luxury of hearing from you a lot recently image

On another note, I have purchased quite a bit on Ebay and in my other post heard you plugging Just Collect. Is that you or are you affiliated? I've bought quite a few from them.

By the way, Clemente's 3000 hit in your picture. That's a nice one. I had to choose an existing one, I hope the ears aren't representational.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I post when I feel the inclination to post. Sometimes it is to set the record straight (at least as I see it), others times to defend another that is being bashed, and other times to share information that I've gathered in 40+ years of collecting.

I try to think of myself as a voice of reason. I don't have an alliance or reponsibility to anyone. I used to work as a senior grader for SGC back in the early days, I've consulted for major auction houses, and I've freelanced for several dealers and other services.

With regard to JustCollect, I've know Leighton for nearly 20 years and know him to be one of the most honest and forthright people in this hobby. As such, given the business model and success that he has had with Lelands and now JC, I would not hesitate to recommend him, just as I would recommend PSA, SGC, Mastro, Heritage, Mile High and others that I have worked alongside or have known throughout my time in the hobby. I wouldn't call it pimping, but when I can, I'd rather suggest someone that I would trust rather than seeing someone end up with someone that may not be able to provide the quality of service that those I recommend can.
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Although I am not a big hockey fan, I am a Gretzky collector. I'm on the Basic registry. I dabble mostly in the regular edition base cards (Topps/OPC) but I don't own a rookie. Living in Chicago as well, my first whale is the Jordan rookie...I'll work on Gretzky after that.
  • Options
    What is your set name? I'm Gretzky Work in Progress.
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    I'm working on a 1975 Topps Hockey set with my Boys... anyone have any extras?

thank you,

Mike
  • Options
    Hi Robb:

I have posted about this before as I am a transplanted Canadian living in Minneapolis. Not for heckey here either unless you want to collect Wild cards and North Star cards. I have been an avid OPC collector for over 20 years and you can see my sets under Turbo's hockey. I am always open for good conversation when it comes to hockey.

Cheers,
    Darren
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    sfmays24 - Mike,
    What condition are you looking at for the 1975's? Raw, Graded? Let me know. I know I have some raw around here somewhere.

Does anyone have any raw 1970 Topps? I need about 25 in nrmt or better condition for my set.

thanks,

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Thank you, Bob

I'll get you a list of the raw card numbers we need asap.

Mike
  • Options
    How about this for a conversation starter? What other hockey players or years are good for investment? I would classify good for investment as consistent growth, limited supply, good player selection (or player if individual), and a good market to sell/buy in?

Rob
  • Options
    I liked hockey cards as a kid, collecting from about 90 to 92/93. In Los Angeles, they weren't really big, but I liked the 80's sets, the rookie selection, the rarity.

-81/82 OPC is an incredible set. It remains one of my favorite designs. The Paul Coffey rookie was incredibly cool.

-Loved the Yzerman rookie, great design.

-The Bret Hull rookie was great, even the Topps double print.

After about 91/92, I lost interest in modern hockey cards. Probably due to the big rookie craze/bust...remember Eric Lindros, etc? The 90 Pro Set bust? I have a 90 Pro Set Bret Hull promo some where.

I didnt follow hockey very much after it changed in the 90's, to less Canadian teams, Gretzky went to the Rangers (like Jordan going to the Wizards).

My hockey goals now...

Probably a few more 80's OPC packs. Could never find them or afford them as a kid. Would like to pull a Lemiuex or Roy OPC rookie someday, although its an expensive proposition.

If I could buy one box and put it away, probably 80/81 OPC. That box seems to have disappeared vs the other years (81-88/89).
  • Options
    I am a hockey fan and used to collect back in the day. Since I have gotten back into cards 5 years ago i have purchased only 2 hockey cards, I am planning on getting a mario rookie at some point. I am still kicking myself for selling my gretzky rookie years ago, doh.

Here is my latest Hockey pickup (posted on the mail call thread too), man I just love the card and his auto-

• Options
    Hey Kid:

I have to agree with you. I lost interest when the 90's rolled around and everyone and there dog was selling cards and should have sold a bunch of my stuff then. I have purchased many 80's OPC boxes the last few years and breaking them is a rush and my wife even enjoys it too. Recently I found a 20 pack lot of 1980 OPC and my wife pulled both a Messier and Bourque rookie and all I got were commons. ;o( That is one box I would like to get my hands on and just lock away and never open. It would be a nice show piece with my 1980 OPC set I just finally completed 100%.

Chees