Home Sports Talk
Options

Next (few) to 3000 Hits?

Other than A-Rod and Jeter (whom I think both have a chance) who could be the next group of 3000 Hit candidates? I mean more young players, perhaps 10-15-20 yrs from now?

Jose Reyes?

David Wright?

Any less popular players with a shot?

We have Biggio as the last to do it, a player who I feel was under appreciated his whole career. Any others like him that might hit 3000 one day?

Jay
3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,

Comments

• Options
    way to early for either of the two young guys you mentioned.

I havent checked hit stats so nobody sticks out to me.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Griffey, if he stays healthy,at about 2,600 currently, will get awfully close. He's still just 38 years old, and should play long enough to get there. In this day and age of steroids and scandal, Griffey should go down in history as this generation's greatest player, and rightfully so.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, there is no one who is a lock on 3,000 hits. If they stay healthy, Manny Ramirez and Vlad Guerrero are possibilities. Johnny Damon and Chipper Jones are long shots,
  • Options

<< <i>Right now, there is no one who is a lock on 3,000 hits. If they stay healthy, Manny Ramirez and Vlad Guerrero are possibilities. Johnny Damon and Chipper Jones are long shots, >>

Im not sure about the others, but I dont see Chipper in the 3000 hit club. He has a long way to go still and has never had 200 hits in season. He also has to start declining at some point, hopefully not for a few more seasons though.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Grote,

I think you may be right. Griffey could. That would be great - the 5th player to join the 3000hit/500hr clubs.
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    People are probably going to get tired of it, but if you put Wright and Reyes on the list then there's no reason I can't throw my boy Carl Crawford on here.

Chipper unfortunately probably won't get to it either. He's at 2156 right now and just turned 36 two days ago. I see him ending up with about 2500 hits, 430 home runs.

Here's another question. Ichiro is 34 years old right now and in only 7 full seasons, has over 1600 hits and has never had below 200 hits in a year. The hall of fame is for those that are the best during their time, so do you guys think that the voters would take in to consideration the fact that he came over here later in his career when factoring his stats into the hall voting? I know that if he ends up with something like 2300 hits by the time he retires, I would see no problem letting him in since he had already played 9 seasons in Japan and totalled 1434 hits (he's already broken 3000 for his career by age 34!) by the time he even crossed the pacific.
  • Options
    Ichiro will make the hall, regardless of how many hits he gets over here just for being the guy to open the door.
    Vladdy will get there (he'll also have 500 homers), but that's years from now, and unless they fall off the end of the earth Jeter and A-rod too.
    A guy who is actually pretty close and is sooooo good defensively is Omar Visquel--he's just shy of 2600 and I could honestly see this guy hanging around for 3 or 4 more years to reach it. Does he get in? I mean something like 11 straight gold gloves and 3000 hits seems pretty good but who knows? 3000 hits used to be automatic, but there is NO WAY Palmeiro gets in so maybe if he does get to 3000 he'll be the second to not get in? Any thoughts?
    Jay
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Goot,

In my opinion, Ichiro is already a lock for the HOF. Other players have made it in, and deservedly so, with relatively short periods of success. Koufax and Kiner come to mind. Working in Ichiro's favor is the fact that he is a complete player, not just a spray hitter ala Matty Alou or Brett Butler. I'm a Dodger fan myself, but Ichiro is one of the few players that I'll go out of my way to see play.
    Brett
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i> there's no reason I can't throw my boy Carl Crawford on here.

>>

Who is he?
  • Options

<< <i>I would see no problem letting him in since he had already played 9 seasons in Japan and totalled 1434 hits (he's already broken 3000 for his career by age 34!) by the time he even crossed the pacific. >>

Do you feel the same way about Julio Franco?

Suprised no one mentioned Pujols yet, walks way too much, but he should still be a good hitter at age 40
    Tom
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would see no problem letting him in since he had already played 9 seasons in Japan and totalled 1434 hits (he's already broken 3000 for his career by age 34!) by the time he even crossed the pacific. >>

Suprised no one mentioned Pujols yet, walks way too much, but he should still be a good hitter at age 40 >>

The way I see it, Hall of Fame eligibility needs to be based on what the player did in our Major Leagues. That includes Ichiro, Franco, and any other players who spend a large amount of time in Japan. Otherwise, if we start to include Franco's and Ichiro's time and stats in Japan, how soon does it expand and then we end up with Sadaharu Oh in the Hall of Fame. At that point, we'd then need to be considering every player in Japanese baseball history for induction into our Hall of Fame. As a reminder, it is the "National Baseball Hall of Fame", which would seemingly limit eligibility to players in the United States. It could be considered that an exception has been made for players on the Canadian teams, since they are part of Major League Baseball, which is a United States entity.

I'm not saying that at some point, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to expand eligibility to players from baseball leagues in other countries, but to do so, the Hall of Fame by-laws and perhaps the name of the Hall of Fame itself would need to be changed to the International Baseball Hall of Fame to reflect the larger community it would be recognizing and honoring.

Steve
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    The way I see it, Hall of Fame eligibility needs to be based on what the player did in our Major Leagues. That includes Ichiro, Franco, and any other players who spend a large amount of time in Japan. Otherwise, if we start to include Franco's and Ichiro's time and stats in Japan, how soon does it expand and then we end up with Sadaharu Oh in the Hall of Fame. At that point, we'd then need to be considering every player in Japanese baseball history for induction into our Hall of Fame. As a reminder, it is the "National Baseball Hall of Fame", which would seemingly limit eligibility to players in the United States. It could be considered that an exception has been made for players on the Canadian teams, since they are part of Major League Baseball, which is a United States entity.

I'm not saying that at some point, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to expand eligibility to players from baseball leagues in other countries, but to do so, the Hall of Fame by-laws and perhaps the name of the Hall of Fame itself would need to be changed to the International Baseball Hall of Fame to reflect the larger community it would be recognizing and honoring.

Steve >>

I agree wholeheartedly. It is, afterall, the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame. What a player does in Japan is totally irrelevent. Heck, if we counted accomplishments in the Japanese league, then we may as well put Randy Bass in the Hall. Anybody remember him?

I think Ichiro is a lock for the Hall based solely on what he has done in the Majors. His first 7 seasons rank among the best career openers of all-time. Sure, he's no power hitter, but not everyone can or needs to be a slugger. He's also dynamite in the outfield, has a terrific arm, and is among the game's best baserunners. He is truly a unique talent. I doubt that he'll get to 3000 hits, but he probably has a few more solid seasons in him.

By the way, I hope they keep the Hall of Fame forever limited to those who excelled in the Major Leagues.
    Brett
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The way I see it, Hall of Fame eligibility needs to be based on what the player did in our Major Leagues. That includes Ichiro, Franco, and any other players who spend a large amount of time in Japan. Otherwise, if we start to include Franco's and Ichiro's time and stats in Japan, how soon does it expand and then we end up with Sadaharu Oh in the Hall of Fame. At that point, we'd then need to be considering every player in Japanese baseball history for induction into our Hall of Fame. As a reminder, it is the "National Baseball Hall of Fame", which would seemingly limit eligibility to players in the United States. It could be considered that an exception has been made for players on the Canadian teams, since they are part of Major League Baseball, which is a United States entity.

Steve >>

I agree wholeheartedly. It is, afterall, the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame. What a player does in Japan is totally irrelevent. Heck, if we counted accomplishments in the Japanese league, then we may as well put Randy Bass in the Hall. Anybody remember him?

I think Ichiro is a lock for the Hall based solely on what he has done in the Majors. His first 7 seasons rank among the best career openers of all-time. Sure, he's no power hitter, but not everyone can or needs to be a slugger. He's also dynamite in the outfield, has a terrific arm, and is among the game's best baserunners. He is truly a unique talent. I doubt that he'll get to 3000 hits, but he probably has a few more solid seasons in him.

By the way, I hope they keep the Hall of Fame forever limited to those who excelled in the Major Leagues. >>

I agree completely with you about Ichiro. We must remember though that a player has to play a minimum of 10 years in the Major Leagues before being eligible for induction. 2008 is I believe, Ichiro's eighth year in the Major Leagues, so he needs to play another two years after this one before becoming eligible for the Hall of Fame. There is no reason to believe though, that he won't play that long, and as long as he doesn't go into the toilet between now and then, he should be a lock for induction.

Steve
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Griffey, Jeter, and # 13. Not sure about anyone else, too early to say. Vizquel ain't getting there and neither is Chipper Jones. Doubtful for Man-Ram.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    TomG,

Pujols may be turning 40 in just a few more years...
  • Options
    You guys read too much into what I said. I mentioned his Japan stats for more of the fact and disbelief that he's already at 3000 by age 34. No crap we won't count Japanese stats.

Gonblott-
    I seriously hope you're joking.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ichiro will make the hall, regardless of how many hits he gets over here just for being the guy to open the door.
    Vladdy will get there (he'll also have 500 homers), but that's years from now, and unless they fall off the end of the earth Jeter and A-rod too.
    A guy who is actually pretty close and is sooooo good defensively is Omar Visquel--he's just shy of 2600 and I could honestly see this guy hanging around for 3 or 4 more years to reach it. Does he get in? I mean something like 11 straight gold gloves and 3000 hits seems pretty good but who knows? 3000 hits used to be automatic, but there is NO WAY Palmeiro gets in so maybe if he does get to 3000 he'll be the second to not get in? Any thoughts?
    Jay >>

'Roids aside, 3000 hits is still 3000 hits. And since 1962 (the year Feller/Jackie became the first to get in on the first ballot, not counting the "Original Five" of 1936), every eligible player with 3000 hits has gotten in on the first ballot. If only 3000 strikeouts for pitching *cough*Blyleven*cough* had the same respect (and there's less than half as many of those).

As for Ichiro, unless he plays in the majors at least ten years, he'll need a waiver on that "must have played at least ten major league seasons" rule. Addie Joss got one, so... Not to mention Sandy Koufax got in on the first ballot with only five great seasons (his previous ones were a smidge above average at best).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ichiro is currently in his 8th season so i don't see that as an issue.

At 34 he still has quite a few years left in him and will easily

have the 10 years service time in.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>

Suprised no one mentioned Pujols yet, walks way too much, but he should still be a good hitter at age 40 >>

tom i agree