Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why did PCGS slab this coin? - UPDATE

UPDATE:
PCGS, did indeed purchase the coin back, refunded my submission fees, and even included $ for my shipment to PCGS. Thanks to PCGS! Also, the staff was very professional in dealing with the issue in terms of email and phone communications.

Only regret is that PCGS simply sent the check for the buy-back. I think I would have liked the opportunity to have had the coin returned (body-bagged) with a commensurate negotiated reduction in the payment, but I can also understand their point of getting it out of circulation for a while.

So what will PCGS do with the coin?
-drew

Original Post:
Here's a recent purchase; nice strike, and obv/rev are almost mirrored. However, there a component that makes me wonder why it didn't get BB'd by PCGS. See it? (graded AU58)
-drew

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oopsie. I'm sure they'd buy it back
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    was it recently graded?

TC71
  • Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭
    thats quite obvious
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I can't find it. Could you put an X on the problem?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    It looks x-cellent to me.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Smokes! Could you please share an image of the entire slab, both front and back? Thanks.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... I agree with TomB.... I would like to see the entire slab as well.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Wow....I can't believe that.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BS
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't I seen that coin before?
  • Options
    Hmmm. Yeah. The OP chose their words very carefully.

Perhaps it did not get BB'ed by PCGS because it never was submitted to PCGS?

Slab pictures, please? Not that we are distrustful folks...we just like pictures!

• Options
    I had a bust quarter with a smaller X on the lower reverse. It was accepted by PCGS and certified to be the grade I expected. I was surprised to see the X!
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    There's gold hidden underneath the 'X'...
  • Options
    donthehilldonthehill Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    Oh ... ye of little faith!

(sorry, as a very infrequent poster and major lurker, I'm clearly lacking in "posting savvy".)

(also, if you think this is coin looks familiar, I purchased it recently from a TT auction - could clearly see half of the "x", but it looked like a normal ding appropriate for an AU. My scanner does a "wonderful" job of bringing out the special feature.)
    -drew
  • Options
    Wow. Amazing.

I would have thought that only Heritage photos can make a huge graffiti "X" look like a ding. I'd like to get a load of those TT photos.

What was your reaction when you first saw it in hand?
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    that was done on the special "take your kid to work and let them grade, day"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An obvious grading error. The "X" should have resulted in a bodybag.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that was done on the special "take your kid to work and let them grade, day" >>

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it happened after it was in the slab. image

Ray
  • Options
    Ah - the scarce X variety. For $20 more you can have it attributed...
    Successful BST purchases from: WaterSport, commoncents123, Hyperion, mozeppa, Mar327, coinlieutenant, Placid, MFH, fishteeth, FilthyBroke, SilverEagles92, illini420, barberman55, pcgs69 (2x) & 123cents

History of the US Constitution Coin Set
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If we can have a Grant Commem with star variety,
    why not a 21/2 dollar gold piece with an x.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was NeXt graded as that's one sweet AU58! image

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I'd bet one of dem green watermelon stickers would cover that problem.
  • Options
    VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624

<< <i>An obvious grading error. The "X" should have resulted in a bodybag. >>

Yes, both graders and the finalizer all made the same error... they forgot to look at the reverse. image
  • Options
    Here's the TT pics... no mention of being previously pedigreed to Malcolm X anywhere? image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>An obvious grading error. The "X" should have resulted in a bodybag. >>

Yes, both graders and the finalizer all made the same error... they forgot to look at the reverse. image >>

Yes but what's even worse is TT accepted this as a consignment lot, made thier 12% and didn't mention the damage in any description.image

Teletrade

• Options
    Yet another example. It gets old after a while. Probably submitted by a large volume dealer.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, should of been BB.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    This coin reminds me of a picture...

OH, here it is.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree, should of been BB. >>

Maybe the Putty over the damage Vaporized during Sonic Sealing imageimage
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scary, to say the least. I would love to know who submitted. I know it's not supposed to matter, but I'd still like to know...

Oh, and:

POOF!!!!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    "It's just a scratch!"

(Perhaps it was a crossover with a translucent smudge on the holder right there to obscure it?)
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>that was done on the special "take your kid to work and let them grade, day" >>

I'm gonna have to agree with doogy...whoopsies. image Send that puppy back to PCGS...
    aka Dan
  • Options
    Here you go. It's all good now. I just hit it with a Magic Pad™.

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TT has a reputation for being a dumping ground for coins that dealers don't want to be seen in their inventory. This is a perfect example.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    that x makes ya wonder like this scratch on this reverse of this pcgs vf 21-d dime on ebay

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I notice that the “you can’t grade a coin from a photo and have to have it in hand” folks are not weighing in on this discussion.image
  • Options
    donthehilldonthehill Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great discussion. I've sent an email into PCGS linking to this discussion (hoping that in the meantime we don't see a "poof" of electrons) asking an opinion. I'll let you know if I hear from them.

The rotten part about all of this is that, as one poster mentioned, this coins is really a sweet coin for a type set, even with a few goobers on the reverse - great strike, clean obverse, near mirrors, and S-mint to boot.

BTW, I've purchased several items from TT and have always been happy with the result - I've usually found their pics to be accurate, and even in this case, you can sorta see the "x" if you know what to look for. When I'm in whining mode about the major on-line auction areas, I'm usually whining about the pics on Heritage. Although, I've now also been edjumacated on the punitive return policies on TT. Fun times!
    -drew

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It sure is interesting to see, when they seem to be so picky with things much less evident.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought everyone knew those were HRH's "chop marks" on the early Presidential Reviews
    . image
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    For some reason, that coin looks familiar. I want to say, it has been discussed on the boards in previous years.
  • Options

<< <i>Here you go. It's all good now. I just hit it with a Magic Pad™.

image >>

Wonder if NCS owns a Magic Pad™imageimage

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS AU58: "Full detail with only slight friction on the high points"
  • Options
    I take it that the folks at PCGS, who I really do honestly respect, only come into work Monday thru Friday and have yet to read and remove this embarassing thread? I'm good with that; this is their forum.

Interesting timing on the original post. At least it gives us regular folks some visibility on an issue like this.

Now, we should place bets on when this thread gets poofed on Monday.

I'm thinking between 9:00am and 9:15am central. Unless they get tied up reading the never ending thread.

[edit] You used a magic pad!?!? image

• Options
    That is one of the first (and very rare) signature series coins, I believe they were started around 1880. Now if we can just find out who's "mark" it is and it could double or triple the value.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I notice that the “you can’t grade a coin from a photo and have to have it in hand” folks are not weighing in on this discussion.image >>

Perhaps it is because that point has little to do with this discussion.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To err is human.

I am sure they will correct this when it is brought to their attention.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then you submit a coin that should go PO01 or FR02 and it bb for cleaning.
  • Options
    All right-allready. Sell it back to PCGS! I can't take it anymore.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file