Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Most Favored Darkside Nation (Poll)

What are the most favored countries or areas to collect by Darksiders?
I know for many - including my self, it’s very hard to pick a single favorite,
but if you could only collect one country outside of the US or Canada which would it be?

Please vote for your favorite and even better – Post a reply including your top 10 picks.
Feel free to include write-ins.

P.S. If you post a write-in, how far back in time do your interests extend?
Paul - saved by
The Fireman...

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I initially was going to vote for Great Britain, as British copper is clearly my favorite, but then I thought that being constrained to ONLY British material would wear thin after a while. So I instead opted for Germany and States. I've always loved German States minors from an affordability standpoint, and German cameo proofs are phenomenal eye candy... overall a much wider area to get lost in...
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    New Zealand
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I finished I KNEW there would be a New Zealand write in image

Germany is really a given to do well, as is France, Italy, Spain and a few others.

It would be interesting to see a country like Egypt or Russia pile up a quantity of votes though.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite is Mexico image
  • Options

As soon as I saw Mexico show as the first vote (after mine) I knew who was online. image

I think Mexico will do well - Colonial Mexico alone is a fascinating area.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I went with Great Britian, but you must understand that I collect medals primarily, with only a summary interest in investment coins.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Hands down favorite is New Zealand also.
  • Options
    The Swiss delegation is angered by the poll image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many favorites... tough to name a single country

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1. Mexico Revolution issues 1910-17
    2. German States
    3. Vatican-Papal States
    4. Ethiopia

I voted for German States since I don't collect colonial Mexico coins.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The only darkside I collect is British, but I have seen some lovely German states and Italian pieces.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Swiss delegation is angered by the poll image >>

Rookie!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Well, You know how I voted.....hail, Vicky!!!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    My darkside focus is on Great Britain, Canada and Commonwealth countries. I like Coronation and Jubilee crowns and sets. (And I think my collection of Royal Wedding crowns is complete, but that Uganda piece makes Diana look like Camilla!)

Other random stuff if I like the design.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

Duh! One of my favorites as well....
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a lot of favorites and in some ways I like them all equally. New Zealand, Japan, Tanzania and a few others stand out but to some extent I like countries with rare and unappreciated moderns. Of course unappreciated means no one really knows they're scarce but if I have to go with a single country today I'll pick one where I think I've got it covered fairly well. Bhutan. Perhaps all these I've got are common but I doubt it.

Each country is so unique that it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Vatican-Papal States!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Great Britain, German States, and a few Polish coins are in my collection focus but I have coins from all over Europe from many years of collecting (including a few Russian coins Stefanie) image
  • Options
    Love that ruble! - Pretty sure Russia's in my top ten list - Empire and USSR.
    Course if I stopped to count'um I'd probably find 12 or 15 countries in my top ten.... image
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Dang - just realized I forgot Panama...
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Switzerland.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having spent a great deal of time in England and Scotland, I chose Great Britain... also lived in Barbados for a few years... a British Colony... Also have some Portuguese coins from the year + I lived there. I have a couple of Gold Britannia sets and some others.. crown or two etc... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Make that another angry Swiss delegate....imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is.......

Ken
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Britanniar
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    I voted 'Great Britain". Looks like that is the most collected so far.

Here is one of my favorites....

• Options
    I voted for Germany, but I like Switzerland and Mexico too.
  • Options
    :¦:-•:*"*:•.-:¦:-•*Mexico*•-:¦:-•:*''*:•-:¦:-•*Mexico*•-:¦:-•*''*:•-:¦:-•*''*:•-:¦:-•*Mexico*•-:¦:

~
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<
    Peru (Including colonial)
    Philippines
    >>

Are US and Spanish Philippines included? Neither or just Spanish b/c US is disqualified?
  • Options
    For the Philippines - I would expect all Philippine coinage from Spanish colonial to present to be included.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Great results so far, I could have guess that Great Britain would be in the #1 spot.
    I'd never have pegged Germany for the #2 spot, and a strong two at that.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    The Rubber Chicken delegation is angered by the poll

Tangaroa nominates the Cook Islands for an entry ... after all ... where would we be without Weenie Dollars?!?
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I voted for Poland but Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are tied for a very close 2nd. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    Great Britain, Born and lived there untill 1956.

One of my favorites,
    image Steam Power
  • Options

<< <i>I voted for Poland but Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are tied for a very close 2nd. image >>

As a kid I'd tell my friends I was 1/2 Lithuanian and of course non of them had ever heard of it.
    If asked where it was I enjoyed telling them it was just south of Estonia and Latvia. image
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    I don't collect coins any longer but when I did, Roman and Medieval English were my two favorites.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Cook Islands!!! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Went with Britain image, but I also collect errors and any world gold coins (I have been focusing on Byzantine Solidus coins lately).

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Easy question - .New Zealand - land of the kiwi and many many other cool animals and people and places and nice wine, good views, skiing, volcanos, diving, everything a man could want is in New Zealand. (well, not nuclear power) (and the sheep are somewhat of a downside too).

Followed by Austraila. Followed by Great Britain. Followed by the lightside. Or maybe China. Or Chile. Or Mexico. Or Vietnam. Darn it. There are too many choices! What a great place this planet turned out to be for coin collecting. Maybe Rome... Maybe Greece.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Easy question - .New Zealand - land of the kiwi and many many other cool animals and people and places and nice wine, good views, skiing, volcanos, diving, everything a man could want is in New Zealand. (well, not nuclear power) (and the sheep are somewhat of a downside too).

Followed by Austraila. Followed by Great Britain. Followed by the lightside. Or maybe China. Or Chile. Or Mexico. Or Vietnam. Darn it. There are too many choices! What a great place this planet turned out to be for coin collecting. Maybe Rome... Maybe Greece. >>

New Zealand even has hot and cold running geysers!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    This is an Official Apology to New Zealand and Swiss collectors - I meant to put both in, had made a mental note of it,
    but somewhere between deciding over Latvia and Liechtenstein... I forgot.
    I'm Sorry image

Thinking of doing a top twenty showdown and will definitely add them in.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Pretty nice turn out for the poll. Neat Idea. Thank you!
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

imageimage

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Great Britain has to be my favorite outside the 51 States (including Canada). Here are some of the other 10:

Japan
    Philippines
    Australia
    New Zealand
    East Africa
    India
    Southern Rhodesia
    British Honduras
    Mexico
    South Africa

If I had more time and money I'd like to collect some ancient Greek silver coins, Central American States silver coins, Chinese silver crowns, and silver coins of the Latin Monetary Union members and the countries that followed their standards.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    South Africa
    Guernsey
    Jersey
    Ireland
    African Continent
    New Zealand
    Austrailia
    Great Britain

Of course - only the coppers for each of the countries listed (except for SA - I collect all of the proofs!) image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    very nice 8 Doubles, Fairlane!! Gotta love those great big slabs of copper from Guernsey!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options

<< <i>imageimage >>

Very nice! I only aspire to having the cash to own one like that! GREAT COIN!
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Glad to see that there's only 1 more member on here who collects Cuban !! Less competition for me image

WTB Gold 1915 20 peso MS63
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me its:

Germany
    Great Britain
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne