Home Metal Detecting

1 more silver

The waters still receding up here in NY from the spring melt and I've been watching it go down daily at the local park where I've made some good finds over the last few years- including the Canadian 1/2 dime and 2 Indians already this year. Went back to the park last night and the first target as I got to the bank was a strong signal, I looked down and spotted a rusty red colored dime partially sticking out of the soil. Nothing old- 1975, waived the detector over the area one more time and this time there was still a strong signal coming from just a little lower on the cut-out shoreline, what do you know, out popped a 1951 quarter! Its somewhat darker than most silver coins I have dug at the site, possibly because of the layer of old fresh water muscle shells it was laying covered in all those years along the river bank:

imageimage

Here's a cleaned up shot:
imageimage

Wew, silver in one of my first two holes of the night, my hopes were high, but all the remainder of the river bank wanted to yield for the rest of the night were old lead sinkers- all types of them. How much is lead going for?- just kidding. Still about 1 1/2 feet to 2 feet for the river to drop, some of my best finds have come from the exposed lower areas of this bank, so I will be waiting and hopefully more goodies will pop out in the next few weeks. HH

Comments