Home Sports Talk
Options

Chase Utley: The New Ted Williams...but with a championship ring

joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
Triple Crown...Batting .400 AND World Series MVP...all in one year.

I think so.

JS

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol

To be serious now i agree the guy is in his prime, but, I don't see a triple crown or a WS championship
    in this guys immediate future.

he is on a tear though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lol

To be serious now i agree the guy is in his prime, but, I don't see a triple crown or a WS championship
    in this guys immediate future.

he is on a tear though.

Steve >>

And the Pets don't have him. Ain't that a cryin' shame...Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...................................
  • Options
    I thought I would never hear when pitchers would say..lets pitch around Utley and Burrell so we can get to Howard! Once Ryan gets
    out of his slump, we might have the divison wrapped up by early June.

NO MAS NO MAS

JS
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    sillies 2 wins mets 4 wins! get .500 with us before you start the smack! utley is good player. but im sure you guys wouldnt mind wright at 3rd also.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the Pets don't have him. Ain't that a cryin' shame...Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...................................

SteveK is obviously off his medication or has resumed playing the ponies again.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Oh I luv it when Pets fans are IRRITATED!!!! image
  • Options
    Ted Williams was the greatest HITTER to ever live. I don't think there is even an argument from anyone on that.

Let's see if Utley can reach Brett's .390 or something first.image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I would never hear when pitchers would say..lets pitch around Utley and Burrell so we can get to Howard! Once Ryan gets
    out of his slump, we might have the divison wrapped up by early June.

NO MAS NO MAS

JS >>

Ryan needs to go back to the Minors Stalin!

image Thanks for that Utley=Williams joke! image
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    easy now, no need to get that excited.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Utley has been playing at this level for almost one month so far. All he needs to do is continue at this level for 50 or 60 more months and he may very well overtake Williams as perhaps the greatest player ever

The chance of that happening is about the same as Eric Hinske playing at his current level for 20 more years and overtaking Williams as best player ever
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Utley has been playing at this level for almost one month so far. All he needs to do is continue at this level for 50 or 60 more months and he may very well overtake Williams as perhaps the greatest player ever

The chance of that happening is about the same as Eric Hinske playing at his current level for 20 more years and overtaking Williams as best player ever >>

Not to derail this thread because Utley is awesome and deserves the recognition he's getting but I gotta pop up and say: Ted Williams greatest player ever? No. Not at all. Greatest hitter ever? OK, that I can see (though he does have competition from guys like Cobb & Ruth).
  • Options

<< <i>

Not to derail this thread because Utley is awesome and deserves the recognition he's getting but I gotta pop up and say: Ted Williams greatest player ever? No. Not at all. Greatest hitter ever? OK, that I can see (though he does have competition from guys like Cobb & Ruth). >>

Yes, Ted Williams is easily recognized as the greatest HITTER ever. To say he is the greatest PLAYER ever is very debatable. Too many great ones on that list to just easily choose one.
  • Options
    I got no problem derailing the thread because its Joey Stalin talking foolish again. image

I will agree about Teddy Ballgame, I do believe he was the greatest hitter but I cant say the greatest player ever- IMO Willie Mays gets that award.
  • Options
    I don't think it's really debatable that Ted Williams was the greatest hitter of all time...

...and my opinion has nothing to do with Perkdog PayPaling me 20 bucks to state that. image
  • Options
    If we agree scoring runs is half of winning baseball games and preventing runs is half of winning baseball games and we agree that Ted Williams is the best ever with the bat in his hands, then he has to be a reasonable choice as best player ever. How much defensive value would the tenth best hitter in history need to surpass Williams? While Mays was one of the best centerfielders in history, I don't see it being enough when preventing runs comes down mostly to pitching

There are a few players who someone could reasonably see as greatest ever, Williams certainly belongs. Anyone who thinks Chase Utley eventually will is an idiot
    Tom
  • Options
    sadly Chase got a late start and wont have a 20 year career to pad his stats.

He is a great player, but a pale comparison to someone like Williams.
  • Options

<< <i>If we agree scoring runs is half of winning baseball games and preventing runs is half of winning baseball games and we agree that Ted Williams is the best ever with the bat in his hands, then he has to be a reasonable choice as best player ever. How much defensive value would the tenth best hitter in history need to surpass Williams? While Mays was one of the best centerfielders in history, I don't see it being enough when preventing runs comes down mostly to pitching >>

Tom, I am thinking his HR totals along with his .290+ lifetime average and abbility to steal a base ( when needed-not "padding" the #'s ) warrants him for some consideration at least?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get real, Utley couldn't carry Ted Williams' jockstrap. That you have the nerve to make such a comparison is beyond dumb.
  • Options
    Stalin better hope Utley is not the new Daryl Strawberry.

Wasn't he the next Ted Williams too?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ohhh listen to Red Sox fans get their panties in a wad. They disowned Teddy Ballgame for years until they finally broke the curse. LAIM

JS
  • Options
    Williams ever go 0 for 23?

Where are you Kevin? Under some bed hiding?

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Dear Steve

That is all the push I needed. Watch out MLB

Sincerely,
    Chase Utley
  • Options
    Guy is not even hitting 300 now.

tsk tsk Kevin

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow, these are the kind of posts that I have been missing out on for the last 6 months? What's next, Cole Hamels is the next Sandy Koufax?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, these are the kind of posts that I have been missing out on for the last 6 months? What's next, Cole Hamels is the next Sandy Koufax? >>

ahhh no cole will have 300 win
  • Options
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Lay off the crack pipe...
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    There will never be another Ted Williams!
  • Options
    How is Chase doing these days?

On his way to a triple crown still?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    slumping a bit...still has great numbers, but still no Ted Williams.
  • Options

<< <i>How is Chase doing these days?

On his way to a triple crown still?

>>

What do Chase Utley and Big Brown have in common ?image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Triple Crown...Batting .400 AND World Series MVP...all in one year.

I think so.

JS >>

how's that looking at this point?image
  • Options
    He may hit 300 so 1 out of 3 ain't bad especially when it is stalin making predictions.

chirping along,

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    title edited to reflect Chase's addition
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    he must be doing good, somebody bought a bunch of utley cards from my store lol
    my psa howards just went up-thanx for the homer-we needed that
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

which in Spanish means:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sincerely,
    F Fraud and his glass arm

(me no pitch mas innings)
  • Options
    yeah 16 for 16 is a fraud.

How is Lidge doing? Now that is a fraud.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah 16 for 16 is a fraud.

How is Lidge doing? Now that is a fraud.

Steve >>

F fraud ran when he had to face the middle of the order. That is weak...go play the Nats!

Kevin