Home Sports Talk

Pick Your Sport .. And If You Were Commissioner, What One Act Would You Do?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Pick your sport and if you were commissioner, what one act would you do? (And it could be anything, e.g. no player union approval and/or involvement of the courts.) Me. Sport would be baseball and I would, gee tough call:

1. Institute a salary cap;
2. Lifetime ban for positive steroid/HGH test;
3. Start the World Series one week after AL and NL representatives have been determined ... and make it one (1) game for all the marbles;
4. Reinstate Joe Jackson and Pete Rose ... is it a foregone conclusion that Jackson and/or Rose would receive 75%?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• << <i>3. Start the World Series one week after AL and NL representatives have been determined ... and make it one (1) game for all the marbles; >>

You would not do a one game world series if you were aware of the the money involved with dragging it out over a week (ticket sales, concessions,
    advertising, tv rights and revenues, etc.) You would be shooting yourself and MLB in the foot.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would chose to be the commisioner of MLB and make ALL Salaries equal- with performance incentives. Basically you play well ( AND PLAY ) you get paid better. No more of these ridiculas contracts.

• << <i>I would chose to be the commisioner of MLB and make ALL Salaries equal- with performance incentives. Basically you play well ( AND PLAY ) you get paid better. No more of these ridiculas contracts. >>

I second the motion.
  • ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Say "good-bye" to the designated hitter.
    Brett
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Say "good-bye" to the designated hitter. >>

you stole my response. goodbye designated hitter, +1 man to the major league roster to appease the union (as if)
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Baseball

1. NO salary cap.
    Super-Bonuses for performance; use of benchmarks.
    Base saleries become irrelevant, if incentives are structured correctly.

2. YES ban for positive steroid/HGH test.
    Effective 2010.

3. NO. Start the World Series one week after AL and NL representatives have been determined ... and make it one (1) game for all the marbles;
    (Promo time is required to do it right and get the fever at high pitch. Potential 7 games required to fund buys/bonuses.)

4. YES. Reinstate Joe Jackson and Pete Rose ... is it a foregone conclusion that Jackson and/or Rose would receive 75%?
    ( First, I meet with Rose. Tell him I'm inclined. Ask him to "come TOTALLY CLEAN" in exchange for ban-lift; tell him to decide
    in one-week and give him draft of "the statement." If he refuses, I lift the ban any way.)

5. Let the players KNOW that I am NOT pleased with their refusal to be "fan friendly" on the autograph front.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Baseball

I would do away with interleauge play and bring the NL into the new century and impose the DH rule.

Football

No punting. 4 downs and your out if you do not get a fist down or score.

Hockey

Disban the leauge forever so never to plauge human kind again!

Basketball

No fouling out. Play as rough and tough as you can and keep the opponate from scoring.

Bowling

11 pins. One 5 feet in front of the other. Hey, why not.

• << <i>No punting. 4 downs and your out if you do not get a fist down or score >>

I would eliminate all kicking, no kick offs, no field goals. Touchbacks and fair catches account for so much wasted time and boring plays in a football game

In any sport where drug testing does not catch the drug users, I would eliminate any bans on drugs and make the playing field even
    Tom
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Women's Tennis

New dress code: only items allowed to be worn are shoes, socks, and a sun visor.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basketball: on every personal foul, the team fouled gets 1 free throw (2 if in the act of shooting) AND gets the ball back.

Basketball is the only sport I am aware of where the team that is losing can intentionally break the rules, get caught breaking the rules, and benefit from it.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Baseball: I'd institute a rule to reduce the amount of time pitchers take between pitches.

Football: I'd do away with one of the TV breaks that occur before a kick off and immediately following a kick off. 3 minutes of commercials followed by an 8-second play, followed by another 3 minutes of commercials is just too boring.

Baketball: I'd make Steve Nash get a haircut on a regular basis.

Hockey: I don't watch it or know it well enough, but I bet taking away the offsides penalty would make for an intersting change.

Golf: After you finish the 18 holes you should have to putt your ball underneath the windmill - this would also be used for tie breakers instead of having playoff holes. Tiger is better than everyone else out there, but is he better than the windmill? We may never know.

Tennis: I'd change the scoring system. Increments of 15 twice and then increments of 10? And then all that Advantage stuff. How about first to 6 wins the game?

Bowling: Bowlers should be required to drink at least 3 beers.

College football and basketball: I would pay the players a small wage, equal for everyone based on their year in school (seniors making the most).

Pole vaulting: everyone but Allison Stokke is disqualified.

And last and least, Soccer: I'd change the name to Futbol so we can be like the rest of the world.

• JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Football: I'd do away with one of the TV breaks that occur before a kick off and immediately following a kick off. 3 minutes of commercials followed by an 8-second play, followed by another 3 minutes of commercials is just too boring. >>

I'm a [suffering] 49ers fan, so I remember this game. But back on December 30, 2002, the 49ers engineered a 20-play drive that lasted 12 minutes and 7 seconds that essentially ate up the entire first quarter, e.g. no commercials, no timeouts, etc. I was disappointed the drive resulted only in a FG, but almost an entire quarter with no pause? Simply awesome.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hockey: Contract to 16 teams, more cameras for national TV deal

Football: No changes

Basketball: Minimum age 22

Baseball: No guaranteed contracts

Boxing: consolidate leagues - Make Friday Night Fights once again a major event ( equal to Monday Night football )

MMA: consolidate leagues

Rugby: get it on tv

Foxy Boxing: lighter gloves
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Baseball: Eliminate interleague play

Football: Impose rookie salary cap...the rookie salaries are way beyond ridiculous

Hockey: Move a few warm weather teams to Canada (Quebec, Winnipeg, etc.)

Basketball: Somehow eliminate the 'flop' (the act when a player tries to win an Academy Award every time he's hit)
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Baseball

The unbalanced schedule is the worst thing ever invented. I hate suffering through 1/3 of the season against the O's, Rays, and Jays. I'm not really that big a fan of Interleague play either, but since it isn't going anywhere, it has to be fair. It's completely insane that you only play certain divisions every year. The rationale is that you get see an NL team every 3 years. Well guess what, they only come to your team's home ballpark once every 6 years, so you might not see that one superstar you want to see live.

As long as there is a wild card, everyone has to play the same schedule. Here's my proposition:

Move Houston to the American League West so we now have 6 divisions of 5 teams.
    Play a 3-game series vs. everyone in the opposite league, alternating home ballparks every year (45 games)
    Play a home and home 3-game series vs. the other 2 divisions in your same league (60 games)
    Play 3 teams in own division 14 times, and one other team 15 times (57 games)

Apply the DH rule to the National League. Nobody wants to see pitchers hit. And don't give me the strategy of the game will be lost. The double switch isn't really strategy if it's considered standard practice, right?

Establish minimum and maximum salary caps.

Allow instant replay for home run disputes and close plays at bases. Giving 1 challange per game for each team (and if they are right in their challenge, giving them another one).

Best record gets home field in the World Series. This "All-Star Game decides home field" is the most ludicrous thing in professional sports right now (even if it has benefited the Sox).

Hockey - contract to 20 teams, none of them in cities where the average winter temperature is above 40 degrees. 2 conferences, 2 divisions of 10. Get rid of all the goons, and put a premium on skill.

Basketball - eliminate the Hack-a-Shaq strategy. To me, that is an intentional foul. 2 shots and the team gets the ball back.

• All sports- you get arrested, you're done, no contract, no severence pay, you go work at McDonald's (no offense to McDonald's employees) and join the rest of the world in reality

Hockey- no goalie, no penalties, cheerleaders (girls and ice, oh yeah) then maybe I could watch it