Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Grade Just in....1966 10c rainbow AT or NT? Would you call it a mint error?

Grade just in PCGS MS64 no mint error for worn die or die crack

I buy thinks that appeal to me sometime I get lucky and they don't cost much. I have a submission going in go PCGS, so it will only cost me the grading fee. Just picked it up, crack on forehead is lint but small die crack at top of head and fields look stretched/worn. Would PCGS slab and if so what would the mint error be called? This is what I like to collect something different. And the pass some thinks on to my nephews at some point. Colors are light and pastel also full cartwheel luster. Looks better in hand, Your opinions will be welcome

Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it is AT, but I don't think it's worth sending in, either. It looks circulated.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Looks like an extremely worn die.

Pretty cool IMO image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No detail in the hair or in the torch on the rear. Not going to receive a high grade. Might be NT but
    probably not worth the fees.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is AT, but I don't think it's worth sending in, either. It looks circulated.

Is it circ or is it lost details from long overused dies.

Look at the "starburst" stress lines. Those dies were well into a state of metal fatigue.

Neat coin. If you do decide to send it in let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

John

Edited to add: Man I'm going to have to learn to type faster. Sniped again!image
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    To me: Questionable toning on worn dies.

But it is YOUR opinion that really matters...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    p.s. my recommendation: leave it raw. image
  • Options
    I don't like the overall look......while the coin clearly isn't worth the grading fees....if you like the coin then it's really a small price to pay.
  • Options
    Cool looking coin, but like everyone else said, the grading fees will cost you more than the value of the coin.
  • Options
    Its packed up and ready to ship. I price average all my collection, some I make out, some I overpay a little. I am teaching my 2 nephews about collecting and PCGS slabbed coins will teach them to grade and also I can let them handle them and study them without worry. Even let them borrow to show their friends. I get enjoyment so the price on some is not so important. We get to spend time together and the slabbed coins keep any pizza from getting on a coin. Someday my nephews will end up with some of my collection, the ones they really like. I keep notes on, a good way for them to teach their kids someday and hopefully remember their crazy uncle. I'll post the results when they come in. Thanks for you input.

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't see a lot of these that look like this any longer.

Most of these never were saved from circulation and most of those that were have since been spent. The ones in circulation are often so heavily worn that it's hard to tell there was a minting problem.

They're a whole lot more interesting than they were twenty or forty years ago.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good intentions PQMorgans... Interesting way of cultivating YN's... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Its packed up and ready to ship. I price average all my collection, some I make out, some I overpay a little. I am teaching my 2 nephews about collecting and PCGS slabbed coins will teach them to grade and also I can let them handle them and study them without worry. Even let them borrow to show their friends. I get enjoyment so the price on some is not so important. We get to spend time together and the slabbed coins keep any pizza from getting on a coin. Someday my nephews will end up with some of my collection, the ones they really like. I keep notes on, a good way for them to teach their kids someday and hopefully remember their crazy uncle. I'll post the results when they come in. Thanks for you input. >>

You're a good guy.
  • Options
    Grade just in PCGS MS64 no mint error for worn die or die crack

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Frankinhower variety.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Worn dies, NT, Mint State. Probably a $2 coin
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Looks like an extremely worn die.

Im with you.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Frankinhower variety. >>

Huh? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Huh? image >>

The scar on the forehead image
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you meant "FRANKLINSTEIN".
  • Options

<< <i>Worn dies, NT, Mint State. Probably a $2 coin >>

Please send me your list of MS64 worn die PCGS slabbed coins that you have for sale at $2.00 image

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Worn dies, NT, Mint State. Probably a $2 coin >>

Please send me your list of MS64 worn die PCGS slabbed coins that you have for sale at $2.00 image >>

I saved a few rolls of the worst '66 quarters anyone ever saw since I figured
    no one would ever believe that they made coins this bad. They're actually pretty
    clean so they might get high grades. image

These are so bad that they make your dime look almost like a gem.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. That's a nice looking 64. I'd much rather have something like this with character than a bright MS67. image

Although for me, it would have gone in my Dansco and not in a slab.
  • Options
    True View picture finally in.

• Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    nice picture taken

what is the time difference between getting the coin back and picture ?
    it seems like a few months on the posts here
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice truview.... shows the 'stretchmarks' really well... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Grade just in PCGS MS64 no mint error for worn die or die crack >>

That's because it isn't a mint error coin. That is EXACTLY what a coin struck from that set of worn out dies is supposed to look like.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Huh? image >>

The scar on the forehead image >>

Its Roosevelt, not Eisenhower..............image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    congrats!
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    No error. NT. $20 coin to the right person.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the blue/gold color on that Dime is sort of typical for Nickel and rather common on clad coinage, i find it most often on the larger coins for whatever reason. i have a few nice Dimes with it, though. as for the flow lines, that's just the symptoms of an extremely stressed die which almost certainly wasn't in service for too long after it struck this coin!!! the state of business at the Mint in the mid-60's almost guaranteed that dies would be used past their normal service life.
  • Options

<< <i>what is the time difference between getting the coin back and picture ?
    it seems like a few months on the posts here >>

My experience has been about a week or less added to the submission. It seems to depend if is just after after a big show or mint release or in-between.

This one went in on a CC Quarterly special they received on 9.19.08 and shipped on 10.01.08 which is pretty fast. with grading,picture and attributed.

PCGS info

• Options

<< <i>No error. NT. $20 coin to the right person. >>

There are some coins that are not about the money, My nephews will simply love this coin. Great conversation piece.

Finding this coin I like $13.00

Having it slabbed and photographed $35.00

Years of enjoyment then leaving it to a nephew. Priceless image

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Though not a Modern collector, this one has loads of appeal. She is comparably mushy to some LDS CBH's I have.

Cool coin and applaudable motives for slabbing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file