Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about Engelhard silver.

Does anyone know or remember.... Engelhard CAST silver bars were made in so many sizes ... buttt...
of the MACHINED bars .... I have seen 1000's , 100's (common) , 50's (not so common) and of course the die struck 10's, 5's and 1's.
I seem to remember 25's and 500's ..... or am I having a senior moment? image

Any one remember seeing ... or even have ... a 25 oz. or a 500 oz. machined??
Silver Baron
Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know the answer, but I would be curious to know the different sizes of cast bars -- I am aware of 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, and 100. Are there others out there?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a 25 oz. Englehard, or a 500 oz. anybody.
    TD
    The 1000 oz is so blankety-blank unwield, you would think that somebody would have marketed a 500.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know or remember.... Engelhard CAST silver bars were made in so many sizes ... buttt...
    of the MACHINED bars .... I have seen 1000's , 100's (common) , 50's (not so common) and of course the die struck 10's, 5's and 1's.
    I seem to remember 25's and 500's ..... or am I having a senior moment? image

Any one remember seeing ... or even have ... a 25 oz. or a 500 oz. machined?? >>

I've got a dozen or so of the 25 ounce machined bars. They are rare.

Only saw them once at my favorite B&M several years ago and I bought them all. Never seen any since.

Someone had come in just before I arrived and sold them, so they weren't in the display case longer than 30 minutes.

They have sloped sides and flat ends, the slope is just like the Englehard 100 ouncers, but on the smaller bar it looks more pronounced, until you compare them side by side with a 100 ouncer and you can see it's exactly the same angle. They are kind of cute, actually. Like baby 100s.

Never heard of or seen a 500, I have seen several 1000s and I own a couple. I've also seen one 10,000 ounce bar, though it was more for display than sale the way it was priced.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Higashiyama...I have seen 2, 30, 35, and 75 oz cast bars.... Not often, but they are out there.

Deadhorse..... Yes, the 1000's should have been made with wheels and the 10,000 with a moter image

Thousand Thanks every one!!
    Silver Baron
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Machined?
    I think you're confused.
    The bars are extruded.

Ray
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I do not know the answer, but I would be curious to know the different sizes of cast bars -- I am aware of 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, and 100. Are there others out there? >>

Dont forget the ultra elusive 7 oz bar. Here is a "type set" of old poured Engelhard bars in my silver collection. Someone mentioned a 2 oz bar. Never seen one before, but would be happy to pay strong money to anyone who has one available.

• Options
    Lathmach....... machined, extruded, rolled, milled...... what ever.... image
    Silver Baron
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>Machined?
    I think you're confused.
    The bars are extruded.

Ray >>

Very true.

But I knew what was meant.

The bars are either cast or extruded and machined was close enough to extruded for me to understand.

Edit: I also have some 1 kilo Englehard bars as well, only a half dozen or so. They are fairly rare as well.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Does anyone know where you can buy the 10 ounce Engelhard bars, other than ebay? At Apmex the 10 OZ sizes COULD be Engelhard, but also could be one of many other brands. Thanks.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Does anyone know where you can buy the 10 ounce Engelhard bars, other than ebay? At Apmex the 10 OZ sizes COULD be Engelhard, but also could be one of many other brands. Thanks. >>

Shoot Rob!!! I just sold one 4 days ago. Wish you had asked this question Friday morning! Ebay has LOADS of the 10 ounce Engelhards, hand poured at any given time.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Yeah, I snagged a couple 5 ouncers hand poured today for a decent price, but as a strictly silver play, I would like to be able to get them (not hand poured obviously) closer to spot. Is there anyplace other than Apmex out there that I can check for them? Thanks.

Edited to add, OK, I did some research, and these and the Johnson Matthey 10 oz. bars evidently haven't been made since the 80's. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on current 10 oz bars as strictly a physical silver holding? What the best current brands are and any places other than apmex to check out?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    I seen a 500oz bar on Apmex.com the other day. Its no longer on the site...guessing they had like only 1 or 2 before selling out. Seen a 25 and thought it was ugly. Sticking to 10 or 100.
    Firefox, Sabayon Linux and Open Source ALL THE WAY!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know where you can buy the 10 ounce Engelhard bars, other than ebay? At Apmex the 10 OZ sizes COULD be Engelhard, but also could be one of many other brands. Thanks. >>

Have you called your local coin shop? We have a few dozen in the safe, but the shipping would kill you.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    I know very little about silver bullion, but I'm developing an interest. In my limited recent experience of watching prices on Ebay, the Engelhard poured silver bars seem to bring more money than the extruded or die struck bars. Why is that? Do more "collectors" have a preference for the poured style? I prefer the cleaner look of die struck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file